Steve Lyons fired from Fox

kloogy

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-alcs-fox-lyonsfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

DETROIT (AP) -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Nice going moron. Go join Harold Reynolds on the unemployment line.

Thats just a joke by Lyons on Pinella, not hispanics.

I cant put a face to Lyons right now, I dont remeber exactly who he is, but whatever. This sounds like fox finding an excuse to fire the guy.

Am I missing something here? What exactly did Lyons say that was so insulting?

Archived