Bowden's son out at Florida St offensive coordinator

faba

Updated: Nov. 14, 2006, 1:42 PM ET

Florida State offensive coordinator Bowden to resign

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden is stepping down.

He resigned Tuesday, just three days after the Seminoles were shut out for the first time in 233 games.

Athletic director David Hart Jr. says the resignation will be effective at the end of this season.

Bowden, the youngest son of Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, replaced now-Georgia head coach Mark Richt as the Seminoles' offensive coordinator in 2001.

Florida State has its homecoming game Saturday against Western Michigan followed by the season finale on Nov. 25 against intrastate rival Florida.

Bobby Bowden has stood by his son's performance as offensive coordinator despite a notable decline in scoring and yardage gained in the past half-dozen seasons.

The school had skirted a nepotism policy by having the younger Bowden report to another coach on the staff other than his father.

Bowden's career at fsu has been outstanding, but he is just a figurehead now

He built that program, and kept it at a high level for a long time.

He should leave on his terms, not those of the current students.

They wanted JoPa out at Psu a couple of years ago, too.

"They" is the media. You will not now, then or in the future find a PSU student or Alumni who wants JoPa fired. He has earned the right to decide when he hangs it up and a true PSU'er knows it.

"They" is the media. You will not now, then or in the future find a PSU student or Alumni who wants JoPa fired. He has earned the right to decide when he hangs it up and a true PSU'er knows it.

That's not true. I spoke to several alums who said otherwise. There was a big movement on campus and by alum donors to push him out.

That started 3 years ago didn't it? I love the "holier than though" attitude of PSU fans.

Yep it was about three seasons ago, and even into two seasons ago, when they thought it might be his swan song, so they laid off.

Then they had a great, one loss season last year and now it's "Oh no! We didnt really want to put you out to pasture"!

"We never said that!"

LMAO

To suggest otherwise is just revisionist history.

Yep it was about three seasons ago, and even into two seasons ago, when they thought it might be his swan song, so they laid off.

Then they had a great, one loss season last year and now it's "Oh no! We didnt really want to put you out to pasture"!

"We never said that!"

LMAO

To suggest otherwise is just revisionist history.

Wasn't it 2003 or 2004 when PSU struggled to win 6 games? I swear I heard the "Joe should step down" arguments back then.

I agree with you. For most of my college career, he's been the figurehead while delegating most of the coaching duties to his staff, which unfortunately, included Jeff. He's done more for the school than anyone could possibly ask, and established a tradition of winning at Florida State. But unfortuantely for Bowden, he is beginning to become a victim of that tradition.

I don't think he should be fired or forced to retire at all, but one man can only maintain a level of winning for so long before their coaching begins to go downhill. Bowden is 77 and isn't the creative "riverboat gambler" he was as far back as 6 or 7 years ago. The program is going downhill and with it are the top recruits, who many of them come from Florida, are going to other top schools like UF, Miami, USC and others because of the perception that the FSU football program is on the decline.

This season isn't all his fault, or even Jeff's fault. Our players have given "underperforming" a new meaning this season. Not to mention the merry-go round of mediocre quarterbacks that we have in Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford. But have the physical abilities but lack the mental abilities to be great Quarterbacks. Sound familiar (*cough*Chris Rix*cough*)

Archived