THE NEW JETS STADIUM: The latest news - Impact Study

BaumerJet

Giants Jets stadium moving through state approval process

JANET FRANKSTON LORIN

Associated Press

LYNDHURST, N.J. - Concerns about traffic and environmental issues predominated as state agencies took public comment Wednesday about the proposed new football stadium at the Meadowlands.

The state Department of Environmental Protection and the Meadowlands Commission are reviewing plans for the new home of the New York Giants and New York Jets at the Meadowlands sports complex.

The teams are jointly financing the stadium, expected to cost between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion and seat between 82,500 and 84,000. The teams expect to present final design plans in January.

Bill Sheehan, the Hackensack Riverkeeper, asked about use of paper products instead of Styrofoam, the effect of stadium lighting on wildlife and how building materials could be recycled.

Mary Musca, a project executive for the stadium, said when the old stadium is demolished material will be recycled and crushed to fill the hole in the ground that is formed by the demolition.

She mentioned other environmentally friendly features of the stadium, including waterless urinals, low-water usage plants and landscaping, synthetic turf on the field and energy-efficient lighting.

Damien Newton, New Jersey coordinator for the Tri-State Transportation Campaign, said planners have failed to adequately address traffic issues, specifically the possibility of a "perfect storm" of rush hour commuters, patrons of the nearby Xanadu entertainment and shopping complex, an event at the stadium and an event at the Meadowlands Racetrack.

Musca said the teams have learned a lot from studying traffic patterns and plan to offer 27,500 parking spaces that will be better managed to avoid the bottlenecks fans experience after games. The teams will add features like prepaid parking, a new inner loop road system and replacement of toll booths.

The agencies expect a final environmental impact study in February and their approval could come in March. Musca said groundbreaking is expected in June 2007 with completion in time for the 2010 season.

Ancillary development would be built after the old stadium is demolished and only when market conditions are ready, she said.

Carl Goldberg, chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, said negotiations over the teams' lease have concluded and the NJSEA board could authorize him to sign it as early as its meeting next week.

More public hearings are scheduled for Thursday.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16232421.htm

Well, the good news is with a June 2006 groundbreaking, we won't get the PSL letter until December of next year & hopefully we will have the choice of paying the PSL or getting playoff tickets.

Whatever, New Jersey Jets for good now I guess. It didn't matter anyway, the New Jersey Giants have been "New York's" team according to the media and most fans for most of our existance. I really need to start rooting for a team that has its own stadium, and is not in a different state than it's namesake. It's sad when we're more pathetic than the Doll-Fags. I had almost managed to forget we play in someone else's stadium, and then some schmuck has to go make this thread. F-U man.

Whatever, New Jersey Jets for good now I guess. It didn't matter anyway, the New Jersey Giants have been "New York's" team according to the media and most fans for most of our existance. I really need to start rooting for a team that has its own stadium, and is not in a different state than it's namesake. It's sad when we're more pathetic than the Doll-Fags. I had almost managed to forget we play in someone else's stadium, and then some schmuck has to go make this thread. F-U man.

Make your points without calling a respected member of this board names.

if they would pay as much attention to the taxes and insurance problems as they do this stadium nj would almost be livable.

Taxes are a problem. A big problem. They are reassessing my town. As the real estate market is crashing. That's just great. LOL, will we get another one after the crash?

Call NJM for insurance. Can't complain about them.

I was referring to health insurance what a complete joke that it is... but back to the stadium it is funny how every department of the government has to get involved and leave their mark. And all it does it keep raising the prices

Gotcha. Healthcare insurance sucks everywhere though. Car insurance just sucks here, lol.

"She mentioned other environmentally friendly features of the stadium, including waterless urinals, low-water usage plants and landscaping, synthetic turf on the field and energy-efficient lighting."

Isn't that why we left Shea Stadium?????

A lot of people who have sesaon tickets now will not be keeping them. People the waiting list: Get ready to move on up and possibly into seats... seeing as the stadium is going to hold 82-84,000.

It dealt more with the inevitability of PSL & when they can force it on Season Ticket Holders (Like me & others on this board).

They can not charge for a PSL until they actually break ground - and that's why I've developed that it will be in December (the Lions, Eagles & Cardinals have all requested the december after they break ground to request the downpayment of a PSL).

Since they're going to have a media frenzy in early June when the Johnson & Mara families break ground - we would have already submitted our 2007-08 season tickets requests.

And in responce to your statement about the waiting list - pray you wind up in the endzone, anywhere above row 20 - there is a good chance that there will be no PSL's for those seats!

Archived