What FA

Sperm Edwards

Yeah, I know this season's not over & blah blah blah. We're not winning a superbowl this year & this thread won't preclude anyone from watching or attending the remaining games this season. So...

We could have upwards of $40M+ in cap space this year (even keeping Pennington and DRob), as I outlined yesterday. And if we go with another RB (draft, Turner, etc), we'd have another $3.25M to spend by dumping Barlow (no dead cap hit as he was acquired via trade). If the original figure only used the 2006 cap limit of $102M, that means the above cuts could add up to put us almost $50M under the cap.

Basically, we can add any available FA's we want next year.

[*]QB: (Clemens & Pennington will duke it out for #1. Pray Clemens will have matured enough to beat out Chad. We took him in the 2nd round this year & likely aren't drafting one in round 1 in '07 before he's given a shot. Deal with it.)

[*]FB: no one jumps out at me in the FA pool

[*]RB: (draft preferable; Marshawn Lynch) or possibly via trade (Turner + Portis rumors have both surfaced). No UFA's seem to be a long-term solution.

[*]WR3: Mike Furrey if his demands are reasonable.; Kevin Curtis would be more than ok, but he'll probably get starter money from someone. Largely depends on how Mangini sees Brad Smith

I have extensively looked over the free-agent crop for 2007. After many agonizing hours of film study, stat analysis, and salary-cap implications, I have come up with this conclusion of who I want:

A guy who can run with the ball.

A guy who can tackle the guy with the ball.

i don't know if adelius thomas is a mangini type player, but that dude is an absolute beast. i am pretty sure he lined up at every defensive position on the field last season and he would bring tremendous pressure on the qb opposite bthomas.

if b thomas got 25M over 5 you can expect a thomas to get significantly more.

Trade Vilma + 1st Round pick to Oakland for Brady Quinn.

Round 2: Draft FB Brian Leonard from Rutgers. People compare him to Mike Alstott but he looks more to me like another Richie Anderson/Jerald Sowell type. A johnny-on-the spot in the backfield who can block, run and catch. Leonard and Leon Washington ni the backfield would be fun to watch. Plus, Leonard is Mangini guy.

Round 2: Draft ILB H.B Blades from Pitt. He's a good solid player who can replace Vilma and is better suited to play in the 3-4.

Round 3: Draft RG Manuel Ramirez or RT Arron Sears. Both are huge road-graders who can help improve the running game. Ramirez puts up 550 lbs multiple reps!

Sign FA's OG Eric Steinbach and DE Robaire Smith. Steinbach is a no-brainer. Robaire Smith is an effective, versatile player who has experience playing at both DT and DE and can play in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

Archived