Rhodes: We can't lose this game

JetCane

from one of the articles Sperm posted yesterday:

"We can't lose this game," Rhodes said yesterday.

As if he could tell that Mangini was listening, the defensive back quickly explained himself.

"It's not looking ahead," Rhodes said. "Every game we've got to win now. That's what happens when you lose a game like we did last week. We put ourselves in this position."

After giving up 31 points to Buffalo a week ago, the team that seemed poised to make the postseason is now in dangerous territory.

But given last week's disappointment, the defense in particular expects to play better this time around.

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who recorded just one tackle last week in his still new role in the 3-4 defense, believes it will.

"We've got to correct the things we did wrong, that's what we're working on," said Vilma, who Mangini credited with being the quarterback of the defense yesterday. "If we win, everything else takes care of itself."

Despite the fact that the defense struggled last week and the numbers seem to show that Vilma did, as well, his coach defended him.

"He does so much, he isn't necessarily just tackling or blitzing or that type of thing," Mangini said. "He helps the whole defense operate effectively."

Last week, that didn't happen. So when the defense plays as poorly in an important game, as it did a week ago, Vilma takes it personally.

"Of course," Vilma said. "Especially the mental errors on the defense. I can't stop everyone from having one, but I've got to help out."

As to whether those mistakes have been rectified this week, Vilma said, "We'll see."

For the Jets' sake, Vilma needs to see some significant improvements, something Rhodes admitted.

"We have to bounce back," Rhodes said. "We have to have the right psyche."

And while Vilma plays a large role in what the defense's mentality is, he needs help.

"It can't be just Jon," Rhodes said. "We know collectively we have to do better and be stronger as a unit."

But Vilma's role is vital.

"I think he's done a great job of making calls," linebacker Victor Hobson said. "He might not be making all the tackles that he's made in the past, but he's still just as big for us."

This is the second time in two weeks that Mangini has given props to Vilma despite his underwhelming statistical production. I know JV has come under a lot of criticism and speculation on the board, but after reading EM's comments, I find it hard to believe that they will try to move him after the season.

As for Rhodes' comment, I am curious to see if they play today with the urgency that was lacking last week.

This is the second time in two weeks that Mangini has given props to Vilma despite his underwhelming statistical production. I know JV has come under a lot of criticism and speculation on the board, but after reading EM's comments, I find it hard to believe that they will try to move him after the season.

Could be, or maybe not. The thing about the new organization is the fans (and media and other teams) really never know what the purpose of a lot of things are these days. Smokescreen - maybe. Confidence boost - maybe. Trade value - maybe.

Good points, GB.

It would be an unusual transition next year if both the qb of the offense and of the defense are no longer starting here. JMO at this point in time.

Also, referring back to some board discussions about not wanting to alienate the vets on the team by yanking chad prematurely, how would it look to the team if EM went out of his way to praise the leader of the D and then shipped him out?

Though, stranger things have happened.

Good points, GB.

It would be an unusual transition next year if both the qb of the offense and of the defense are no longer starting here. JMO at this point in time.

Also, referring back to some board discussions about not wanting to alienate the vets on the team by yanking chad prematurely, how would it look to the team if EM went out of his way to praise the leader of the D and then shipped him out?

Though, stranger things have happened.

Good points as well, JC. I'd like to see Vilma stick around, but moved outside where he and Thomas can use their athleticism. I think it would be beneficial to have Hobson in the middle taking on guards with Vilma a little more free to "roam". Of course I do not get paid to coach in the NFL, so what do I know, right? ;)

Good points as well, JC. I'd like to see Vilma stick around, but moved outside where he and Thomas can use their athleticism. I think it would be beneficial to have Hobson in the middle taking on guards with Vilma a little more free to "roam". Of course I do not get paid to coach in the NFL, so what do I know, right? ;)

If they move Vilma to OLB we have to expect another year (at least) on the learning curve for him. He has never played OLB, but who knows, maybe he'd be a natural at it.

Now a question I have about that is, wont it be just as difficult for him to have to take on an OT as it is to take on a OG?

I also think that the CS may be thinking that if they shore up the DL (read: get a real DE in there and sit kimo, and get some quality depth at NT) that he may be more productive. I guess we'll know what they are thinking when they make some off-season moves.

If they move Vilma to OLB we have to expect another year (at least) on the learning curve for him. He has never played OLB, but who knows, maybe he'd be a natural at it.

Now a question I have about that is, wont it be just as difficult for him to have to take on an OT as it is to take on a OG?

I also think that the CS may be thinking that if they shore up the DL (read: get a real DE in there and sit kimo, and get some quality depth at NT) that he may be more productive. I guess we'll know what they are thinking when they make some off-season moves.

A fat-ass NT would be a godsend for Vilma (and the rest of the defense) if you were to keep him in the middle.

Vilma would have a learning curve if he was moved to OLB for sure. I'm thinking, based on the amount of "in space" plays both Hobson and Thomas have made this year, that he'd have a lot more room to operate in most times. Will he get wrecked on a sweep with a T and pulling G - sure he will. But he'd have the chance to make plays in the back field as well as in coverage that he just isn't getting as an ILB in the 3-4. He's a smart, hardworking kid - I think he could make it work. ILB is not - despite being the defensive QB - working for him at this point, so why not give it a shot?

......playmakers make big plays when the heat is on and the season is on the line

Glad you're seeing the light. If only our veteran QB could as well.

You can definately make a move while still praising the ability of the player. We all know Vilma is a good 4-3 LB. So do the coaches and the players. We also know he struggles in the 3-4, so do the coaches and players. There is alot more to it than just calling a good game. You have to execute on the plays you call. Chad calls a good game, he just doesn't execute well. Personally speaking, I would like to see Vilma get a 2nd chance in our scheme next year. I believe he is such a great athlete and a smart football player that he can definately improve. He'll just have to bulk up a bit. That being said, if we receive the proper compensation, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. While I do feel the players respect and like Vilma as their leader, I don't think there would be any opposition to the CS going in a direction that better fits the overall scheme.

Archived