We Must Re-sign Jerricho Cotchery

nj meadowlands

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/482830p-406428c.html

The dynamic duo

Cotchery and Coles, perfect fit

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

332-coles_cotchery.JPGLaveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery have Jets' passing game soaring into key game against Dolphins tomorrow. Every year, the NFL draft is top-heavy with can't-miss wide receivers. They're big, they're fast and their college stats read like Donald Trump's credit card bill.

And many times they flop in the NFL.

Sometimes it's the imperfect receivers that turn out the best.

Laveranues Coles, the 78th pick in the 2000 draft, was plenty fast, but there were off-the-field issues and a lack of production in college. Who knew he had the heart of a Green Beret?

"He's as tough a player as I've ever been around - at any level - and that's saying a lot because I've been around a lot of tough guys," says Vinny Testaverde, Coles' first quarterback with the Jets. "I'd put two on the top of my list. One is Curtis (Martin), the other is Laveranues."

Jerricho Cotchery, the 108th pick in 2004, racked up crazy receiving stats in college, but he was a step slower than the top wideouts in his class. And you know what they say about speed: Can't teach it. But who knew that Cotchery, so eager to impress NFL types that he wore a suit and tie to his scouting combine interviews, would work farmer's hours to shave tenths off his 40 time?

"Everybody works hard, but he's a step above what everybody else does," tight end Chris Baker says. "This time of the year, you're beat up, you're tired, you don't look the same as you did in September. Him, he looks the same."

Cotchery and Coles, nobody's can't-miss receivers, are on the verge of becoming the most prolific receiving tandem in Jets history.

They have 158 catches between them, tying Wayne Chrebet and Keyshawn Johnson (1998) among wideout pairs. If they combine for at least six receptions in tomorrow night's pivotal game in Miami, Cotchery and Coles will surpass Al Toon and tight end Mickey Shuler (163 in 1988) for the top tandem, regardless of position.

"That would mean a lot," Cotchery says. "In the preseason, a lot of people had us rated as one of the worst receiving corps in the league."

Coles, hurt by last season's quarterback instability, didn't have a big statistical season in 2005, prompting critics to second-guess the Jets' decision to reacquire him in a trade for Santana Moss. Now he's only three catches shy of his career high (90), only six short of Toon's single-season team record.

Cotchery? After only 25 receptions in his first two seasons, he was projected as Justin McCareins' backup. Unbeknownst to outsiders, Cotchery spent part of his offseason in Arizona, working with a personal trainer. He improved his stamina and speed, cutting his 40 time to below 4.5 seconds.

When Cotchery got to camp, he took McCareins' job. In Week 2, he took everyone's breath away with a 71-yard touchdown that included a bend-but-don't-break escape from a two-defender sandwich at midfield.

"I remember telling a friend, a play like that changes your whole career," says Chrebet, who played with Cotchery for two years before retiring. "After that, you're viewed a different way."

Chrebet is a bridge from then and now, having played with Johnson and Coles for four years each and Cotchery for two. When he looks at the Coles-Cotchery tandem, he sees some of the characteristics that made him and Johnson such a potent duo in 1998.

"They have a healthy competition," Chrebet says. "It was the same way with me and Keyshawn. We always went back and forth. Competition makes you better."

In 1998, Chrebet and Johnson were magic together, combining for 2,214 yards and 18 touchdowns. Despite a famously strained relationship - they rarely spoke - they were tough and fearless, and complemented each other's strengths.

Ditto, Coles and Cotchery, who happen to be friends. They are one reception shy of the leading pair of wide receivers in the league, the Colts' Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

"In his own right, he's one of the best receivers in the league," Coles says of Cotchery. "I don't think he has to be a tandem guy to be successful. If you put him out there by himself, on any other team, he'd be successful."

Says Cotchery: "Laveranues took me under his wing. He's what you want to be as a receiver. He's been banged up all year, but it lays it on the line every week."

Testaverde, who has completed passes to all four receivers in his career, says Coles, Johnson and Chrebet were similar in that they'd sell out to catch anything in the air. Testaverde couldn't form a complete evaluation of Cotchery in only one season, but he's impressed.

"He looks like a completely different player this year," Testaverde says. "You saw some signs last year, but now you can definitely see the signs and the ability."

Testaverde knows the value of a good receiver. Before the 2002 season, he was sitting in the locker room on a quiet day, discussing Coles' contract situation with Coles and Chrebet. Coles was due to make about $350,000 in the coming season, the final year of his contract.

"I told him, 'If the Jets are smart, they'll give you a million or a million-and-a-half dollars to lock you up,'" Testaverde says. "He said, 'I'll take that in a heartbeat.'"

The Jets waited too long. After a big season in 2002, Coles received a $13 million signing bonus from the Redskins.

Now, four years later, Coles has the same concern for Cotchery, whom he sees as a younger brother. Cotchery is due to make $510,000 in 2007, the final year of his deal. Coles wants more accolades and more money for his partner. "He deserves the publicity and a big pay day, hopefully coming up over the next couple of years," Coles says. OK HOUSTON: RB Cedric Houston (calf) took reps with the offense yesterday in practice, an indication his condition is improving and that he could play Monday night. There's a chance that Houston, Leon Washington and Kevan Barlow (inactive the last three games) will dress for the game. Derrick Blaylock also has received reps.

Cotchery has been very good this year. NFL receivers usually don't blossom until they're 3rd year in the league. Jets have to resign him and they probably will.

I think in one or two seasons usually blossom but some are late bloomers like cotchery.

Archived