One old friend from Tampa days rooting for the other two

Lil Bit Special

Not sure if this was posted already... if so, mu apologies... if not, more of

Herm Edwards:

By Herm Edwards, For USA TODAY

As I look forward to Super Bowl XLI, I cannot help but think back to the start of the playoffs, before a dream became a reality.

As coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, I was preparing to face an old friend on the opposite sideline in Tony Dungy and his Indianapolis Colts. Tony was instrumental in jump-starting my career and that of current Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith.

The three of us and our wives came together for dinner at P.F. Chang's in Indianapolis the night before we played to reminisce about our time together on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers staff from 1996-2000. Tony had hired me as his assistant head coach-secondary coach, and Lovie worked with the linebackers. We reflected on how satisfying it had been to see the Bucs emerge as a force in the NFC.

I often think back to how difficult it had been for Tony to get that first head coaching job and ultimately open the door for us. There was no Rooney Rule then, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate for a head coaching vacancy or face the threat of fines.

It still was not an even playing field in the early 1990s. Too many teams paid lip service to the concept of diversity. They would put a good face on the hiring process — but that's all they were doing.

As a result, a number of owners and general managers said they interviewed Tony but decided on another candidate. In reality, all they had done was to speak to him by phone, allowing for a brief exchange of ideas.

If you are truly open to entrusting your team to that individual, that is no way to conduct an interview. I hesitate to even describe them as courtesy calls because they hurt Tony more than they helped him. Teams started to wonder what was wrong that so many teams who "interviewed" him were unwilling to hire him.

That evening in Indianapolis really brought things full circle for the three of us. A decade after our time in Tampa, all three of us had teams of our own in the playoffs. We reminisced about good times, told old stories and got caught up on our families' lives. It was a wonderful dinner, and for once Tony picked up the tab! We ended the evening with what amounted to a vow. Here we were with three chances for one of us to reach the Super Bowl.

"Let's not mess this thing up," I said. "One of us has to get to the big game."

While I hoped I'd be the one to knock the door down with the Kansas City Chiefs, I am elated for Tony and Lovie, two good football coaches and even better men.

Their coaching style is very similar. Both have great vision and focus. They know what they want to accomplish, and they have a detailed plan for how to get it done that revolves around doing all the little things right. They won't allow fans or media or any external forces to knock them off course. That sense of purpose gains their players' trust right away.

They know who they are as men. They know what their strengths are and those of their team. They know what got them to Super Bowl XLI, and they will stick with that. It will either be good enough or it won't.

Don't look for gadget plays, bells and whistles. If you appreciate the fundamentals — crisp blocking, sure tackling — you won't want to miss a snap.

There will be plenty of attention paid to Tony and Lovie as they make history. Neither of them is particularly comfortable with that. They want this to be about their players and the game. We all want to get to a point when the color of a coach's skin won't need to be mentioned.

At the same time, we take pride in knowing we kept to a vow we made some years ago. We decided among ourselves that we wouldn't just be in this to coach. We wanted to make a difference. We wanted to make the game better for our being in it, to give something to our wonderful sport rather than simply take from it. We wanted to make better the path for the next generation.

Everyone wants to know who I'm picking to win. This is what I know: No matter what the final score may be, two champions will leave that field.

Some key points I see,

"Let's not mess this thing up," I said. "One of us has to get to the big game." While I hoped I'd be the one to knock the door down with the Kansas City Chiefs

He's kidding, right??? He couldnt have thought the Chiefs would have a chance...

They know what they want to accomplish, and they have a detailed plan for how to get it done that revolves around doing all the little things right.

Too bad Herm never had a detailed plan or doing the little things right... Must have missed that class at Dungy University...

Don't look for gadget plays, bells and whistles. If you appreciate the fundamentals — crisp blocking, sure tackling — you won't want to miss a snap.

First sentence sounds like a Herm coached team... the second sentence, I dont think so..

We decided among ourselves that we wouldn't just be in this to coach. We wanted to make a difference. We wanted to make the game better for our being in it, to give something to our wonderful sport rather than simply take from it.

Ok Herm, answer me this question... what have you done as a head coach that made a difference or made the game better or gave the sport anything. All you do is take... take away fans love for their teams because their head coach is a moron, take a head coaching position that a QUALIFIED coach should have had (TWICE!), take a Hall of Fame running back and run him into the ground...

The ONLY THING YOU HAVE GIVEN THIS SPORT IS: "You play to win the game." One quote. Thats the only thing most people will remember you by, too bad when you made that quote, your team wasn't playing to win the game and you were hurt that your buddies in the media dare question you about your coaching...

This is what I know: No matter what the final score may be, two champions will leave that field.

And the best part is it wont be you Herm. There is a God.

Dungy University:

Offense 101- How to run offense

Description: Learn how to run an NFL offense with the run, run, pass, punt philosophy...

Defense 101- How to run defense

Description: Learn how to run an NFL defense with the "bend dont break" and "cover who" defenses.

Communication 110- Delegating authority

Description: Learn how to delegate authority for minor issues surrounding a football game.

Examples: clock management, time outs, play calling, film room, halftime adjustments, game plan, etc.

You can use these skills to blame others for failure (AKA: throw under the bus)

Communication 401- The Media and You

Description: Learn how to communicate with the media so they can cover for your deficiencies

Learn how to hold private conferences with special media members after your press conference so you dont have to do real coaches work.

Who's the lucky guy who had to transcribe this pointless gibberish from the original Crayola version?

At the same time, we take pride in knowing we kept to a vow we made some years ago. We decided among ourselves that we wouldn't just be in this to coach. We wanted to make a difference. We wanted to make the game better for our being in it, to give something to our wonderful sport rather than simply take from it. We wanted to make better the path for the next generation.

Everyone wants to know who I'm picking to win. This is what I know: No matter what the final score may be, two champions will leave that field.

WE WE WE means ME ME ME. Herm, fresh from the sell at some hotel ballroom, sells, sells and sells by insinuating himself again into something he has nothing to do with. And again, by all means, did I miss the Lombardis that are collapsing WE's shelves from their days in Tampa?Is there some alternative reality in which this idiot resides?

Archived