SNY Blog (shout out to our friends @ JetsCentral)

SoFlaJets

02/20/2007 12:31 PM ET

Jets will target a back in draft

Joe K. points to Auburn's Irons as a good fit

By Joe Kanakaraj / SNY.tv

The best parts about the lag between the Super Bowl and the draft are the constant conspiracy theories that surface after the combines. Who's trading up? Who's trading down? Whose stock is falling? Who's on the rise? It just doesn't end, and I love every second of it.

The Jets this year have four big positions of need. They are RB, DL, OL and CB. Over the next month, I'll analyze each of the positions and go over some of the guys that the Jets are probably looking at, as well as address rumors flying around the message boards and other various Jets outlets.

So, this week, let's look at running back.

Since Curtis Martin is basically 99% retired (Curtis' tribute post is still in queue -- I'm just still having issues actually accepting that his career is over), the Jets will probably need to address their running back position. Last season, the Jets were 20th in the league in overall rushing. A lot of that, too, came from a late surge from Leon Washington. I like Leon -- and I think he's a great second back -- but the Jets really need to improve in this stat if they want to improve as a team. Here are the top five backs in the draft.

1-Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma: He's a great back, and would be a great fit for the Jets. He's big, athletic and has great speed. The only problem is he won't be there at 20, and the Jets don't have the picks to trade up.

2-Marshawn Lynch, Cal: Another great back who won't be there for the Jets to take. He'll fall a little below Peterson, but he's the type of guy who will either fall to the mid-teens, or get taken higher when someone trades up to grab him.

3-Michael Bush, Louisville: He broke his leg very early in the season, which dropped his stock, but he also needs a great combine to sell some scouts on his leg. He could be a good sleeper pick, but do you really want to invest a first round pick in a "sleeper"?

4-Kenny Irons, Auburn: He's fallen down on some boards I've seen, but he's probably the most realistic pick for the Jets with their high second-rounder. Not a big, physical back, but a good runner, and he had a productive career at Auburn.

5-Tony Hunt, Penn State: I think every Jet fan is a little leery of taking a Penn St. running back not named Larry Johnson. A lot of us still have a bad taste in our mouths from Blair Thomas. I really see Hunt being nothing more than a backup in the NFL. Not really the type of back the Jets need to select in the first two rounds.

So, my projection is that the Jets will end up with Kenny Irons in the second round. This, of course, is if the Jets don't do anything in free agency with a RB, which is possible being that there aren't really any good RB's available, and the ones who are worth signing aren't worth signing for big money. Plus, the Michael Turners of this year's crop will probably get franchised anyway.

Next week, we'll look at the massive holes we have on the defensive line. Remember, if you have any comments or suggestions, make sure you post them to the message board and I'll do my best to respond.

Archived