Big East Tournament

Jetsfan80

While I know college basketball is not a primary sport on this board (face it, NYC is a pro sports town), the Big East Tourney IS taking place in Madison Square Garden, which makes it relevant.

Anyways, it would appear everything is going as it should for the Big East, except for the surprising blowout Villanova suffered at the hands of Georgetown (thought it would be a closer game than this). Depending on how far some of the other teams go (like West Virginia and Syracuse), the Big East looks like it will get at least 7 bids to the NCAA tourney and several others to the NIT.

My guess is that Marquette upsets Pittsburgh tonight and reaches the finals before falling to Georgetown, but you never know...Louisville could win the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

The Big will likely get 7 andmaybe 8 but they should not be getting even 7 to the Tourney. The conf is not good at all this year and teams fattened their records on beating the dregs of the BE b/c the BE has more bad teams than any other conference.

The Big will likely get 7 andmaybe 8 but they should not be getting even 7 to the Tourney. The conf is not good at all this year and teams fattened their records on beating the dregs of the BE b/c the BE has more bad teams than any other conference.

West Virginia beat NC State and UCLA

Nova beat Texas

ND beat Maryland and Alabama

Depaul beat kansas

Marquette beat Duke and lost by 4 to Wisconsin.

The BE is the best conference in college hoops right now.

West Virginia beat NC State and UCLA

Nova beat Texas

ND beat Maryland and Alabama

Depaul beat kansas

Marquette beat Duke and lost by 4 to Wisconsin.

The BE is the best conference in college hoops right now.

best conf????? it might not even be top 5. Every conf can boast big wins. In the ACC:

UNC beat OSU

FSU beat Florida

UVa and UNC beat Arizona

BC beat Mich State

Ga Tech beat Memphis

duke beat Georgetown

NC State beat Michigan, ...

'Nova also lost to Drexel and Xavier

SU lost to Wich state and Drexel

Depaul lost to Bradley, Northwestern and UAB

Marquete lost to ND State

Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, SU beat nobody in the non conf. The BE isn't ven in the discussion for the best conf this year. last year they were the best conf in the reg season but, as usual, they didn't send a single team to the Fianl Four.

best conf????? it might not even be top 5. Every conf can boast big wins. In the ACC:

UNC beat OSU

FSU beat Florida

UVa and UNC beat Arizona

BC beat Mich State

Ga Tech beat Memphis

duke beat Georgetown

NC State beat Michigan, ...

'Nova also lost to Drexel and Xavier

SU lost to Wich state and Drexel

Depaul lost to Bradley, Northwestern and UAB

Marquete lost to ND State

Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, SU beat nobody in the non conf. The BE isn't ven in the discussion for the best conf this year. last year they were the best conf in the reg season but, as usual, they didn't send a single team to the Fianl Four.

How many wins do the power conferences have over BE schools comparatively though? The BE will send the most teams to the tournament because its the best conference in basketball. If the ACC or Big 10 or 12 were the best, they'd be sending more teams. Fact of the matter is a BE bubble team took it to UCLA when they were the top team. Texas was stomped by another bubble team. Alabama and Maryland lost to a team picked to finish 11th in the BE. I can still keep going, but the point is made.

How many wins do the power conferences have over BE schools comparatively though? The BE will send the most teams to the tournament because its the best conference in basketball. If the ACC or Big 10 or 12 were the best, they'd be sending more teams. Fact of the matter is a BE bubble team took it to UCLA when they were the top team. Texas was stomped by another bubble team. Alabama and Maryland lost to a team picked to finish 11th in the BE. I can still keep going, but the point is made.

The BE MIGHT send the most teams to the Tourney(most prjections have 7 from the BE and ACC) mainly b/c they have more teams than any other conference. The ACC will likely send 7 of 12(58%) while the BE will likely send 7 of 16(44%)- which is better?

WVU beat UCLA when UCLA was msising their best player, an ACC bubble team handed Florida it's first loss of the season and UF was at full strength.

texas had just played a 3OT game a few nights earlier and UT is a good, not reat, team.

There will always be upsets, the BE teams have some of the worst losses in the Country too- why do you ignore that? Maryland lost to a team PICKED to finihs 11th? Whop cares hwre they were picked, MD actually crushed the 11th place BE team on the road.

and did you notice how georgetown, Villanova, Louisville and Syracuse all stunk in the pre-conf schedule then "turned it on" when they started playing BE teams? GU lost at HOME to ODU, Lousiville was awful losing to dayton and UMass, Villanova lost to Drexel and Xavier(though they did beat OT at HOME in January) and SU lost at home to Wichita State and Drexel. The biggest non-conf win by the 4 schools combined was against texas, that was the ONLY ranked non-conf win the 4 schools had then they get "hot" playing weak BE teams and all of a sudden they are Tourney teams.

The BE is not even in the converstaion for best league overall this year.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2007/03/08/Canes_Validate_ACC_Best_League_in_America

by the way, below is each team vs. major conferecnes:

Georgetown 1-2(Beat Michigan, lost to oregon and duke)

Pittsburgh 2-2(beat FSU & Washington, lost to Wisc & Ok State)

Louisville 1-2(Beat Miami, lost to Kentucky & Arizona)

Notre Dame 2-0(beat Maryland and Alabama)

Marquette 2-1(beat Tx tech & Duke, lost to Wisconsin)

Syracuse 0-1(lost to Ok State)

West Virginia 2-1(lost to Arkansas, beat NC State and UCLA)

Villanova 3-0(Beat Iowa, Texas and Oklahoma)

Depaul 2-3(Beat Kansas and Wake Forest, lost to Kentucky, Purdue and Northwestern)

Providence 1-2(Beat BC, lost to Florida and Florida State)

St. John's 0-3(Lost to Maryland, Texas and duke)

Connecticut 1-2(Beat Mississippi, lost to Indiana and Ga Tech)

Seton Hall 1-1(Beat Penn State, lost to Va Tech)

South Florida 1-0(beat Wake)

Rutgers 1-1(beat Nebraska, lost to North Carolina)

Cincinnati 1-1(Beat NC State, lost to Ohio State)

21-22 against the major conferences and search those wins for the wins against upper teams against the big conf's b/c there aren't many. WVU over an undermanned UCLA and 'Nova over Texas- that's it).

Now let's look at the ACC:

North Carolina 5-0(beat Tennessee, Ohio State, Kentucky, Rutgers, Arizona)

Virginia 1-2(Beat Arizona, lost to Purdue & Stanford)

Maryland 3-1(Beat St. John's, Mich State & Illinois, lost to Notre Dame)

Virginia Tech 2-0(Beat Iowa & Seton Hall)

Boston College 1-2(Beat Mich State, lost to Providence & Kansas)

Duke 3-1(Beat Indiana, Georgetown and St. John's, lost to Marquette)

Georgia Tech 4-2(Beat Purdue, Penn State, Georgia, Connecticut, lost to UCLA & Vanderbilt)

Clemson 3-0(Beat Mississippi St., Minnesota & Georgia)

Flordia State 2-2(Beat Florida and providence, lost to Pitt and Wisconsin)

North Carolina State 1-3(Beat Michigan, lost to West Virginia, Alabama and Cincy)

Wake Forest 1-3(Beat Vanderbilt, lost to Georgia, Depaul, So. Fla.)

Miami 0-4(Lost to Northestern, Miss St, Louisville and Nebraska)

26-20

How is it that a league w/ 4 fewer teams has played more games against major conf's? and how is they have a much better record?

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see come tourney time, because the Big East looks fairly dominate this year.

Dominant? last year the BE WAS dominant in the regular seaqson and didn't get a FF team, I don't even think they'll get a team to the elite 8 this year.

Dominant? last year the BE WAS dominant in the regular seaqson and didn't get a FF team, I don't even think they'll get a team to the elite 8 this year.

We'll have to see how the matchips play out, but I'd guess at least 1 if not 2 or 3 make it to the elite 8.

We'll have to see how the matchips play out, but I'd guess at least 1 if not 2 or 3 make it to the elite 8.

Wow! Last year when the BE was the best it's been since the mid 80s they got only 2 to the regional Finals and you think 3 can make it this year? They don't even have a team ranked in the top 8 and you think 3 BE teams could make the elite 8? I guess anything is possible but I'd be less shocked if the Jets won the next 5 SBs than if the BE sent 3 teams to the elite 8.

Wow! Last year when the BE was the best it's been since the mid 80s they got only 2 to the regional Finals and you think 3 can make it this year? They don't even have a team ranked in the top 8 and you think 3 BE teams could make the elite 8? I guess anything is possible but I'd be less shocked if the Jets won the next 5 SBs than if the BE sent 3 teams to the elite 8.

What teams out there right now not in the Big East are so dominant they are a lock for the EE? Just curious. I don't see any.

What teams out there right now not in the Big East are so dominant they are a lock for the EE? Just curious. I don't see any.

Nobody is a lock but UCLA, North Carolina, Memphis, Florida, Kansas, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Ohio State are all head and shoulders better than Pitt & georgetown who are the only BE teams w/ any sort of hope for the Elite 8.

Nobody is a lock but UCLA, North Carolina, Memphis, Florida, Kansas, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Ohio State are all head and shoulders better than Pitt & georgetown who are the only BE teams w/ any sort of hope for the Elite 8.

Memphis? Come on.

I like those teams that are attacked b/c they didn't play anybody, they play w/a chip on their shoulder like memphis last year which lost in the Elite 8.

So you just got done spewing that the Big East hasn't played anyone, but you're going to bat for Memphis?

So you just got done spewing that the Big East hasn't played anyone, but you're going to bat for Memphis?

It's different in the BE,m b/c teams are so overrated they think they have beaten good teams. No one thinks that about memphis, the BE teams think they will roll in March b/c they played in the "tough" BE but every year they disappoint in March. 4 FF teams in 17 years is pathetic and by far the worst of any major conference.

For the record, the Big East is ranked 5th in the RPI in conference rank. The ACC, SEC, Big 10 and PAC-10 are all rated higher. And the Big East isn't close to breaking into the top 4.

The reason? A cupcake nonconference schedule overall, and too many teams. Big East supporters can't have it both ways; you say the Big East is the best since it likely has the most teams going to the dance, yet somehow you can explain away why teams like USF, Rutgers, Cincy and Seton Hall DON'T bring the conference down several notches.

Even some of the Big East's best teams have gotten SMOKED by the better conferences. Pittsburgh lost by double digits to Wisconsin, and lost in OT to a non-tournament team, OK State. Georgetown fell to NIT-bound Oregon, fell to Duke, and got beat on their home floor by a strong mid-major, Old Dominion, by 13 pts. Louisville got beat by Dayton, Arizona, UMASS, and Kentucky. Meanwhile, teams like Syracuse loaded up on the usual powder puff out of conference schedule, with powerhouses like St Francis NY, Texas El Paso, Colgate, Canisius, St Bonaventure and Baylor (all but 1 of those were home games).

The Big East does not suck, but it is certainly not the best conference in the country. That's just plain silly. I'd take So. Illinois, Creighton, Missouri State and Bradley of the Missouri Valley Conference over Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, and Notre Dame any day of the week.

Archived