What is interesting about the Pats.....

Columbia Jet Fan

is how they have changed their philosophy on how to build a team. Now, any Pats fans feel free to correct me if Im wrong because I am just making observations and I could easily be missing things...

It seems that during the height of the dynasty, the Patriots key contributors (Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Teddy Bruschi, etc.) were players who were acquired via the draft and were brought in to play in the Patriots designated system. I know there was Rodney Harrison but I feel he is the only KEY contributor who was picked up during FA who played in all three super bowl games. Corey Dillon was only there for one.

My point is I wonder how this new ideology the Pats have embodied this past offseason will serve them in not only the immediate, but long term future. Now I think the Patriots will be contenders for AT LEAST a playoff spot for years to come but I think they have gone away from the blueprint that has made them so successful in the past. They have always been a team that has shied away from guys like Adaiulus Thomas and especially Donte Stallworth, what will the future hold for the Pats now that they seem to be trying to fill holes via FA as opposed to the draft or players within the organization?

The Pats kind of remind me of the Yankees, you look at the 96-00 Championship teams the Yankees had the core guys (Jeter, Pettite, Mo, Posada, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neiletc) were brought in through the system. I know it is a little different Yanks haters b/c the Yankees did bring in guys like Clemens but I think most people would say the guys like Paul O'Neil and Bernie Williams were the core leaders of that team. Ever since the Yankees took on this whole just build your team by hiring big guns mentality they have failed. I wonder if the same will happen with the Pats.

On the other hand I am so excited about the Jets b/c it seems that they are trying to build through a core group of young guys and not break the bank in FA. I think we are on the right track and the future is bright despite what a lot of Jets haters say.

is how they have changed their philosophy on how to build a team. Now, any Pats fans feel free to correct me if Im wrong because I am just making observations and I could easily be missing things...

It seems that during the height of the dynasty, the Patriots key contributors (Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Teddy Bruschi, etc.) were players who were acquired via the draft and were brought in to play in the Patriots designated system. I know there was Rodney Harrison but I feel he is the only KEY contributor who was picked up during FA who played in all three super bowl games. Corey Dillon was only there for one.

My point is I wonder how this new ideology the Pats have embodied this past offseason will serve them in not only the immediate, but long term future. Now I think the Patriots will be contenders for AT LEAST a playoff spot for years to come but I think they have gone away from the blueprint that has made them so successful in the past. They have always been a team that has shied away from guys like Adaiulus Thomas and especially Donte Stallworth, what will the future hold for the Pats now that they seem to be trying to fill holes via FA as opposed to the draft or players within the organization?

The Pats kind of remind me of the Yankees, you look at the 96-00 Championship teams the Yankees had the core guys (Jeter, Pettite, Mo, Posada, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neiletc) were brought in through the system. I know it is a little different Yanks haters b/c the Yankees did bring in guys like Clemens but I think most people would say the guys like Paul O'Neil and Bernie Williams were the core leaders of that team. Ever since the Yankees took on this whole just build your team by hiring big guns mentality they have failed. I wonder if the same will happen with the Pats.

On the other hand I am so excited about the Jets b/c it seems that they are trying to build through a core group of young guys and not break the bank in FA. I think we are on the right track and the future is bright despite what a lot of Jets haters say.

Personally I'm not a fan of Thomas, but to each his own. The Pats already have a strong nucleus that was developed through the draft. They can afford to try and fill in pieces through FA to make their last run over the next 3 years before that nucleus starts showing signs of age. Don't forget they also have a cuple first round picks this year, so they are really in a uniquely good situation. If they play their cards right they will also have a good young nucleus in 3 years from now, which would be scary. But the NFL is a fickle league, so what looks good now can easily translate into a disaster later. At least I can hope for that as a Jets fan.

Personally I'm not a fan of Thomas, but to each his own. The Pats already have a strong nucleus that was developed through the draft. They can afford to try and fill in pieces through FA to make their last run over the next 3 years before that nucleus starts showing signs of age. Don't forget they also have a cuple first round picks this year, so they are really in a uniquely good situation. If they play their cards right they will also have a good young nucleus in 3 years from now, which would be scary. But the NFL is a fickle league, so what looks good now can easily translate into a disaster later. At least I can hope for that as a Jets fan.

Thats a good point about this year in the draft but that almost makes me wonder more so why they went so big in FA this year. I would think in the past they would have taken this draft as the opportunity to replace guys like Samuel, I just think they have somewhat gone through a change in team philosophy.

The Pats know their window is closing in a few years. They went balls out and filled their holes in free agency with some great players (Adalius mostly), the others are garbage IMO.

Pats were very smart to sign Adalius Thomas. In 2 or 3 years time, Belichick will be gone though, so he wants to win at least 1 more title before he leaves.

Thats a good point about this year in the draft but that almost makes me wonder more so why they went so big in FA this year. I would think in the past they would have taken this draft as the opportunity to replace guys like Samuel, I just think they have somewhat gone through a change in team philosophy.

Because their nucleus right now has about a 4-5 years window before they start declining. By nucleus I mean Brady, Wilfork and Seymour. I'm not saying they will stnk by that point, but it is the mark where they will begin to decline. The sacry thing is those guys are moving into their prime right now, so adding through FA is a smart move.

Archived