With Zach Gone, Don't The Jets Need a Third QB?...

Fantasy: grabbing a "diamond in the rough" QB in the later rounds to sit behind Rodgers and Taylor...

He develops and, at some point, becomes our "Brock Purdy"...

Maybe we get lucky with a QB just once in 50 years...

Any ideas about who to select, or if JD is even considering it?...

3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

After seeing Geno's career revive after a decade, they're re-signing Sanchez to see if lightning can strike twice.

Check your sources.

The Sanchez deal is a contract for hot dog vending.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Agreed, I think it will be Running back, Safety, Middle linebacker, QB, perhaps a Guard are my favourite predictions for the remaining picks. 

I'd put DT on that list since we could still use depth and we're lacking anyone young with promise, at least if you consider Clemons a DE still.  But yeah other than that I'd agree with that list. 

LB probably depends solely on how we feel about guys like Sherwood, Barnes, Surratt.  Saleh loves Surratt and I expect him to see a bigger role this year.  Barnes is only one year removed from being drafted and was a kid we always saw as a project.  He could be another expected to get a bigger role next year.  Then again they could absolutely love a kid like Eichenberg and just decide they have to have him.

Without knowing how the board shakes out, I'd lean toward QB, DT, OG in round 4.  If Braelon Allen is still there I'd change my priorities and take him, otherwise I wait on a RB.  Rattler would be the guy I make sure I get. 

Underrated guy to look for:  T.J. Tampa.  Reed has one year left, and considering how expensive our young players are going to get, it might be wise to invest in a kid this year and groom him to take over in 2025.  Tampa is a guy I expected to be gone in the 2nd.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Underrated guy to look for:  T.J. Tampa.  Reed has one year left, and considering how expensive our young players are going to get, it might be wise to invest in a kid this year and groom him to take over in 2025.  Tampa is a guy I expected to be gone in the 2nd.  

It’s not just Reed, but also MC2 due to be a UFA after this season. Even if they’re able to keep one on an extension, they’re going to get priced out of keeping both.

I’d be surprised if they don’t take a corner. Maybe two DBs at that, if there’s also a safety they also like.

Guard is a decent possibility also, but I’ve no idea if there’s anyone worthwhile.

QB seems at least as likely as not. Depends not just on who’s there (of course) but also how willing they are to carry a QB3 all season.

DT could be, but they just locked into Kinlaw, plus added Fotu, plus re-signed Thomas and also (for now) still have JFM & Clemons who are big enough to kick inside… it’d be a pure future pick who wouldn’t see the field & therefore maybe their 7th rounder they hope to stash on the practice squad.

RB would surprise me unless they think Abanikanda is already on the roster bubble after just one season buried behind Hall, Cook, and for a while MC2. They need a veteran they can rely upon to not whiff his blocking assignments & carry the ball maybe 50-75x of mostly garbage time or a spot start splitting time with Abanikanda, so drafting one means either no veteran, no Abanikanda, or a commitment to carrying 4 RBs again.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s not just Reed, but also MC2 due to be a UFA after this season. Even if they’re able to keep one on an extension, they’re going to get priced out of keeping both.

I’d be surprised if they don’t take a corner. Maybe two DBs at that, if there’s also a safety they also like.

Guard is a decent possibility also, but I’ve no idea if there’s anyone worthwhile.

QB seems at least as likely as not. Depends not just on who’s there (of course) but also how willing they are to carry a QB3 all season.

DT could be, but they just locked into Kinlaw, plus added Fotu, plus re-signed Thomas and also (for now) still have JFM & Clemons who are big enough to kick inside… it’d be a pure future pick who wouldn’t see the field & therefore maybe their 7th rounder they hope to stash on the practice squad.

RB would surprise me unless they think Abanikanda is already on the roster bubble after just one season buried behind Hall, Cook, and for a while MC2. They need a veteran they can rely upon to not whiff his blocking assignments & carry the ball maybe 50-75x of mostly garbage time or a spot start splitting time with Abanikanda, so drafting one means either no veteran, no Abanikanda, or a commitment to carrying 4 RBs again.

I get what you’re saying but we only have one true run stuffing DT. We saw what happened last year when Woods went down. It would be wise to have another on the depth chart. 

I mostly agree with the RB philosophy but a guy like Allen would make me not really care about having a vet. You could easily pick up a veteran #4 who you can keep around on the practice squad. If he’s not there though, then yeah I’m all for just waiting and picking up a veteran #2. 

I think we’ll prefer to carry 3 QBs this year but that’s just a gut feeling. Considering the disaster that was our QB room last year, I don’t think they’re gonna take any chances. Plus the obvious value of getting a kid in here to learn from Rodgers. It seems clear based on JD’s 1st rounder that he’s still building for the long term, and I think he’s going to want a development QB in here. We’ll see how it plays out though. 

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I get what you’re saying but we only have one true run stuffing DT. We saw what happened last year when Woods went down. It would be wise to have another on the depth chart. 

I mostly agree with the RB philosophy but a guy like Allen would make me not really care about having a vet. You could easily pick up a veteran #4 who you can keep around on the practice squad. If he’s not there though, then yeah I’m all for just waiting and picking up a veteran #2. 

I think we’ll prefer to carry 3 QBs this year but that’s just a gut feeling. Considering the disaster that was our QB room last year, I don’t think they’re gonna take any chances. Plus the obvious value of getting a kid in here to learn from Rodgers. It seems clear based on JD’s 1st rounder that he’s still building for the long term, and I think he’s going to want a development QB in here. We’ll see how it plays out though. 

For me, take a guy you think can be a starter long term, not pigeonholing a perceived depth-need at this narrow moment in time. Tnere are veteran DTs they can sign for a vet minimum who'll have more awareness in 2024 if that's the sole concern.

Doesn't make me right; it's more of a philosophy based on seeing so many whiffs, especially in the mid & later rounds:

As the draft gets into day 3, I become almost a pure BAP person. Absolute prospect-ranking tie breakers sure, based on positional need, positional importance, or anticipated positional need next year (i.e. creating a pipeline whereby next year or the year after you've got a couple years of a dirt-cheap but very competent starter). No way do I force-feed that, though.

The "philosophy" (such as it is) I base on no more than the idea that it's hard enough to nail day 3 draft picks without further lowering those odds by removing positions or position groups due to temporary need (or worse, temporary depth need).