The "Paulus flop" and other images of Duke's demise

Jetsfan80

hmmm..

I know that JJ used to get the BEST defender every night,, Paulus doesnt. Also, on many occaisons JJ would get a double team on perimeter, Paulus never sees a double team. So under those conditions, having JJ shoot 40-42% compared to 45% for Paulus might actually say JJ did better.

But SJ according to NYjunc stats do not lie!!!!

And you know that he is never wrong, we were all wrong about Hermie too...

he took a crappy team over from Vermiel and brought them to the playoffs.

Nyjunc is like a houseguest that never leaves no matter how many hints are pointed in his direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ... just because JR does not have an NBA body and never projected to be a good NBAer, does not take away that he was a great college player. Any normal tarhole fan creams in their jeans when Paulus is on the floor!!!

That is your case for JJ? Come on. he was NOT a great college player, he scored alot b/c he took more shots than anyone else. He was a 40% 3P shooter in 4 years at duke- and we are told he was perhaps the best 3P shooter in the history of CBB. He was a good player- never great, great players play well in big spots JJ never did that.

But SJ according to NYjunc stats do not lie!!!!

And you know that he is never wrong, we were all wrong about Hermie too...

he took a crappy team over from Vermiel and brought them to the playoffs.

Nyjunc is like a houseguest that never leaves no matter how many hints are pointed in his direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He took a team to the playoffs that hadn't seen the playoffs in 3 years and had been to 1 playoff in 8 years, he also took over a less talented team than Vermeil had in 2005 and guided them to the playoffs in 2006.

Stats can lie but 40% from 3 does not, 0 for forvere in htiting big shots does not lie, 37% from the field in the NCAA Tourney does not lie, 31% from 3 in the NCAA tourney does not lie.

hmmm..

I know that JJ used to get the BEST defender every night,, Paulus doesnt. Also, on many occaisons JJ would get a double team on perimeter, Paulus never sees a double team. So under those conditions, having JJ shoot 40-42% compared to 45% for Paulus might actually say JJ did better.

In JJ's last 2 years he got the best defenders but his first 2 he did not and he didn't even shoot 40% from 3 in his first 2 years. Stever Kerr shot 57% from 3 in his senior year, Salim Stoudemire 2 years ago shot about 50% from 3- you don't think they had the best permiter defenders on them? Those are excuses for JJ. i have heard them all, in 2005 it was he had no help yet in 2003 and 2004 he was surroundd by excellent talent and couldn't get it done. The facts are he shot 31% from 3 in the Tourney, 37% from the field in the Tourney and had more TOs than assists. JJ was an overrated player no matter what way you slice it.

In JJ's last 2 years he got the best defenders but his first 2 he did not and he didn't even shoot 40% from 3 in his first 2 years. Stever Kerr shot 57% from 3 in his senior year, Salim Stoudemire 2 years ago shot about 50% from 3- you don't think they had the best permiter defenders on them? Those are excuses for JJ. i have heard them all, in 2005 it was he had no help yet in 2003 and 2004 he was surroundd by excellent talent and couldn't get it done. The facts are he shot 31% from 3 in the Tourney, 37% from the field in the Tourney and had more TOs than assists. JJ was an overrated player no matter what way you slice it.

i thought this was paulus vs JJ, why did u change to kerr and stoudamire???? I know,, cause i was right about JJs 42% with double coverage and best defenders vs Paulus 45% with no double coverage and no best defender..

come on ,, no need to spin in another direction,,

JJ double teams /best defender vs Pualus having teams say 'let him shoot'..

42 vs 45,,nuff said,,

i thought this was paulus vs JJ, why did u change to kerr and stoudamire???? I know,, cause i was right about JJs 42% with double coverage and best defenders vs Paulus 45% with no double coverage and no best defender..

come on ,, no need to spin in another direction,,

JJ double teams /best defender vs Pualus having teams say 'let him shoot'..

42 vs 45,,nuff said,,

You weren't right, I told you how JJ wasn't matched up w/ the opponents best defenders his first 2 years and how he ws an under 40% 3P shooter, paulus wasn't matched up w/ the bst perimiter defenders this year and shot 45% from 3.

Teams might have been saying "let him shoot" early in the year but they certainly weren't as the year progressed.

I brouth up Stoudamire and kerr b/c they were great shootewrs who faced the best perimiter defenders and they view JJ's #s out of the water. Paulus is not a great shooter but he was better this year than JJ in any of his 4 years which proves the point that JJ was NOT a great shooter. Great shooter's don't shoot 40% from 3.

You weren't right, I told you how JJ wasn't matched up w/ the opponents best defenders his first 2 years and how he ws an under 40% 3P shooter, paulus wasn't matched up w/ the bst perimiter defenders this year and shot 45% from 3.

Teams might have been saying "let him shoot" early in the year but they certainly weren't as the year progressed.

I brouth up Stoudamire and kerr b/c they were great shootewrs who faced the best perimiter defenders and they view JJ's #s out of the water. Paulus is not a great shooter but he was better this year than JJ in any of his 4 years which proves the point that JJ was NOT a great shooter. Great shooter's don't shoot 40% from 3.

yes, i was right.

as usual.

You were wrong, ,as usual. You just never figure it out.

yes, i was right.

as usual.

You were wrong, ,as usual. You just never figure it out.

Yep 45% compared to under 40%- under 40% always wins:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for anyone to state a case for redick. I have shown numeorus examples to defend my side but I have seen nothing from the pro-Redick guys.

Yep 45% compared to under 40%- under 40% always wins:rolleyes:

I am still waiting for anyone to state a case for redick. I have shown numeorus examples to defend my side but I have seen nothing from the pro-Redick guys.

i could shoot in the 30s with no one on me..

as a tarheel fan i was infinitely more afraid of JJ than of paulus and i hated JJ far more. that ends the debate in my mind.

JJ had ONE good game against the Heels in 4 years('06 at UNC). i was never afraid of redick b/c I knew he wasn't a big time player. In '05 at UNC he was held scoreless in the 2nd half and in the final moments down 2 had an open look from 3 and missed it. Last year after he had his one great game against Carolina he was 5-21 at caemron last year and 2-10 from 3.

JJ's #s against the Heels: 45-126 from the field(36%), 29-78 from 3(37%). They look an awful lot like his Tourney #s and if you take away his 1 great game his other 8 games look like this: 33-104(32%) and 24-68(35%). I was never afraid of JJ.

Paulus shot 45% and last I checked he usually had a defender on him. JJ shot under 40% his 1st 2 years in similar circumstances.

WOW... u really skew #s,, wow!!!

Pulaus in 1st year of 3 pt goals was 31%, 2nd year 45%,,with 70 attempts and 151 attempts repectively.

JJ was 40%, 39%, 40%, 42% in his 4 years ,,WITH 238, 258, 300 and 330 attempts,,,

hahahahahahahahahahaha,, thats a 2 to 1 margin of more shots,, and after 2 years they are both at 40%...

Paulus has totally open shots as he doesnt draw best defender and the teams are willing to let him take his shots as he doesnt take alot of them,, cause he cant manuever to get open he is so freakin slow,,

JJ has best defenders and many double teams and shoots a HUGE amount of shots..

so in JJs 1st 2 years his 3's were responsbile for 1388 points as opposed to Pulus 663.

thats it,, you are a nice guy i assume but u repin to the Nth degree, ,bottom line,, admit for 1st time in yoiur message board history,, you might have been alittle off on this one,,

Pulaus in 1st year of 3 pt goals was 31%, 2nd year 45%,,with 70 attempts and 151 attempts repectively.

JJ was 40%, 39%, 40%, 42% in his 4 years ,,WITH 238, 258, 300 and 330 attempts,,,

hahahahahahahahahahaha,, thats a 2 to 1 margin of more shots,, and after 2 years they are both at 40%...

Paulus has totally open shots as he doesnt draw best defender and the teams are willing to let him take his shots as he doesnt take alot of them,, cause he cant manuever to get open he is so freakin slow,,

so in JJs 1st 2 years his 3's were responsbile for 1388 points as opposed to Pulus 663.

thats it,, you are a nice guy i assume but u repin to the Nth degree, ,bottom line,, admit for 1st time in yoiur message board history,, you might have been alittle off on this one,,

dead on. JJ had a green light to shoot anywhere he pleased and anyone who ever watched him knows he'd pull up for a jumper from anywhere passed half court (oftentimes from closer to halfcourt than to the arc). he could catch and shoot like no one else-- the kid was simply always a threat from anywhere, anytime. paulus couldn't shine JJ jock in terms of being an ever-present threat. teams had to game-plan to keep duke from busting JJ open with creative picks but if he got an inch on the D, count the three. and the fact that he was probably the most hated duke player of all time in tarheel country and endured more boos and taunts than any player in collegiate history speaks even more to his skills.

Who cares if he took morre shots? we are going by a PERCENTAGE of shots amde, the mroe shots you take the better ryhthm you get into and you have the ability to make a higher percentage. JJ took ALOT of bad shots, do we not count those shots? The facts are JJ was a 40% 3P shooter at duke, paulus was 45% last year- JJ's best year was 42% so paulus had a better 3P shooting year than redick ever had.

AGAIN, JJ wasn't doubled his freshman and soph years and he shot under 40% each year. You act like paulus is wide open every shot, JJ even the last 2 years got a million open looks.

You aren't even close on this one, this argument is open and shut. As usual I prevail b/c I post the most FACTS. I am not making stuff up but if it makes you feel any better you can pretend like you got this argument over me but facts are facts and the facts are on my side.

dead on. JJ had a green light to shoot anywhere he pleased and anyone who ever watched him knows he'd pull up for a jumper from anywhere passed half court (oftentimes from closer to halfcourt than to the arc). he could catch and shoot like no one else-- the kid was simply always a threat from anywhere, anytime. paulus couldn't shine JJ jock in terms of being an ever-present threat. teams had to game-plan to keep duke from busting JJ open with creative picks but if he got an inch on the D, count the three. and the fact that he was probably the most hated duke player of all time in tarheel country and endured more boos and taunts than any player in collegiate history speaks even more to his skills.

Whose fault is it that JJ took alot of bad shots? Do they seperate them in the stat columns? As someone who is a pretty good shooter myself I love Redick's form and standing in a gym w/ no pressure I am sure he's a much better shooter than Paulus but under the bright lights Paulus in his 2nd year had a better shooting year than JJ had in 4 years.

he was the most hated player b/c he taunted opponents and fans and b/c he was overrated by the media so people hated him. That's great that he was ****y but what does it mean if you can't back it up? I showed you his NCAA Tourney #s, I showed you his #s against Carolina- show me the big games he stepped up in? Show me the big shots he hit? Show me this info and I'll conceed the argument- the problem is he doesn't have the big game #s, he doesn't have the big shots and he was a GOOD not great 3 point shooter and in 4 years didn't have a shooting year as good as Paulus.

Who cares if he took morre shots? we are going by a PERCENTAGE of shots amde, the mroe shots you take the better ryhthm you get into and you have the ability to make a higher percentage. JJ took ALOT of bad shots, do we not count those shots? The facts are JJ was a 40% 3P shooter at duke, paulus was 45% last year- JJ's best year was 42% so paulus had a better 3P shooting year than redick ever had.

AGAIN, JJ wasn't doubled his freshman and soph years and he shot under 40% each year. You act like paulus is wide open every shot, JJ even the last 2 years got a million open looks.

You aren't even close on this one, this argument is open and shut. As usual I prevail b/c I post the most FACTS. I am not making stuff up but if it makes you feel any better you can pretend like you got this argument over me but facts are facts and the facts are on my side.

You just dont get it,, obviously NEVER played th egame at any kind of competitive level.

You just dont get it..

You have been dogged, and just dont get it.

Its about more shots in tougher situations with touggher coverage vs low number of fabvorable shots with crap coverage,,you jus tdont understand the game. Thats not surprising by your adherence to pure stats and a obvious total lack of knowledge of the game and how its played.

You just dont get it,, obviously NEVER played th egame at any kind of competitive level.

You just dont get it..

You have been dogged, and just dont get it.

Its about more shots in tougher situations with touggher coverage vs low number of fabvorable shots with crap coverage,,you jus tdont understand the game. Thats not surprising by your adherence to pure stats and a obvious total lack of knowledge of the game and how its played.

I have played the game at compettive levels, is till play competitively in leagues and I play w/ current and former NBA players in pickup all the time. I understand the game which is why i don't need the media to tell me how great redick was b/c I know how overrated he was. His first 2 years he had a ton of help, he had open shots nightly and he was UNDER 40% rom 3, his last 2 years he had help but he forced a ton of shots and his %s went up slightly. He was a GOOD shooter but not great, great shooters don't shoot just 40% from 3, great shooters hit big shots, great shooters don't fade away in big games and big spots.

Explain why he was under 40% his 1st 2 years? he had deng, he had duhon, he had ewing, he had williams- he was at best their 4th option and was under 40% from 3. Explain that since you know the game inside and out- please educate me.

I have played the game at compettive levels, is till play competitively in leagues and I play w/ current and former NBA players in pickup all the time. I understand the game which is why i don't need the media to tell me how great redick was b/c I know how overrated he was. His first 2 years he had a ton of help, he had open shots nightly and he was UNDER 40% rom 3, his last 2 years he had help but he forced a ton of shots and his %s went up slightly. He was a GOOD shooter but not great, great shooters don't shoot just 40% from 3, great shooters hit big shots, great shooters don't fade away in big games and big spots.

Explain why he was under 40% his 1st 2 years? he had deng, he had duhon, he had ewing, he had williams- he was at best their 4th option and was under 40% from 3. Explain that since you know the game inside and out- please educate me.

4th option? check the shots attempted on those teams.

how many times do you want to keep gettin your arse spanked by me little girl?

In 2002, JJ was #2 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2003, JJ was #2 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2004, JJ was #1 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2005, JJ was #1 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

hahahahahaha,, ,4th option,,your a one heck of a hoot,, go back to your stat book and keep trying to spin your horsecrap

4th option,,hahaha

go back to your competitive playing,,which is in actually hanging out at gym sniffin jocks

4th option? check the shots attempted on those teams.

how many times do you want to keep gettin your arse spanked by me little girl?

In 2002, JJ was #2 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2003, JJ was #2 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2004, JJ was #1 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

In 2005, JJ was #1 in 2pt FG attempts and #1 in 3pt FG attempts.

hahahahahaha,, ,4th option,,your a one heck of a hoot,, go back to your stat book and keep trying to spin your horsecrap

4th option,,hahaha

go back to your competitive playing,,which is in actually hanging out at gym sniffin jocks

The guy was a ball hog, whether he took the 2nd most shots or not he wasn't their 2nd option. If you understood basketball and foolwed the ACC in thoe years you'd know this but I gove you credit- for the FIRST time you brought something somewhat useful back at me instead of "you don't get it".

Who would you say was duke's 1st option this year? McShav, right? he was 2nd ont he team in FGA's and paulus was 3rd. In '99 you'd say Elton Brand was the 1st option for duke, right? He was THIRD in shots taken. You want to talk about spinning?

You act as if redick is the first player to ever see a double tam so that's justification for his 40% 3P %. Instead of tryin to deflect your lack of knowledge by criticizng you should take some notes and learn a thing or 2.

The guy was a ball hog, whether he took the 2nd most shots or not he wasn't their 2nd option. If you understood basketball and foolwed the ACC in thoe years you'd know this but I gove you credit- for the FIRST time you brought something somewhat useful back at me instead of "you don't get it".

Who would you say was duke's 1st option this year? McShav, right? he was 2nd ont he team in FGA's and paulus was 3rd. In '99 you'd say Elton Brand was the 1st option for duke, right? He was THIRD in shots taken. You want to talk about spinning?

You act as if redick is the first player to ever see a double tam so that's justification for his 40% 3P %. Instead of tryin to deflect your lack of knowledge by criticizng you should take some notes and learn a thing or 2.

admit it,, you keep coming back for more:

cardinal-spanked.jpg

I hate JJ Redick. But Greg Paulus does not even deserve to hold the jock strap of the ACC's all-time leading scorer. Paulus is the PG of a team who got taken down in round 1 of the NCAA Tourney. Did you see the video on the first page of this thread? He's pathetic. A waste of a roster space; he wouldn't have even been a starter on the VCU squad he lost to.

I hate JJ Redick. But Greg Paulus does not even deserve to hold the jock strap of the ACC's all-time leading scorer. Paulus is the PG of a team who got taken down in round 1 of the NCAA Tourney. Did you see the video on the first page of this thread? He's pathetic. A waste of a roster space; he wouldn't have even been a starter on the VCU squad he lost to.

anyone who tries to argue otherwise has never seen a game beyond the box score. when JJ was on the floor, there was fear in opposing defenses eyes. i know because as a heels fan i've seen it in person many times. here's something unc fans say everyday about JJ but will never say about paulus: "THANK GOD HE'S GONE."

anyone who tries to argue otherwise has never seen a game beyond the box score. when JJ was on the floor, there was fear in opposing defenses eyes. i know because as a heels fan i've seen it in person many times. here's something unc fans say everyday about JJ but will never say about paulus: "THANK GOD HE'S GONE."

I never said paulus was better, I said he was a better #p Shooter this yea than JJ in any of his 4 years and that is a fact.

How could a Heels fan have been worried about redick when in 9 games he shot 46% from the field and 37% from 3? He had ONE big game in 9 tries. I WANTED JJ to have the ball in his hand late b/c I knew he would miss, he NEVER hit big time shots. The only area he was truly great was at the foul line- I wouldn't want to see him go to the foul line.

I just wonder when people stop listening to "experts" and actually begin to make judgements on their own? Just b/c Vitale tells us JJ was the greatest shooter of all time doesn't make it true, NOTHING backs up JJ as a great shooter. If you can't shoot a great % and you don't hit big shtos how in the World can you be a great shooter or player?

I never said paulus was better, I said he was a better #p Shooter this yea than JJ in any of his 4 years and that is a fact.

How could a Heels fan have been worried about redick when in 9 games he shot 46% from the field and 37% from 3? He had ONE big game in 9 tries. I WANTED JJ to have the ball in his hand late b/c I knew he would miss, he NEVER hit big time shots. The only area he was truly great was at the foul line- I wouldn't want to see him go to the foul line.

I just wonder when people stop listening to "experts" and actually begin to make judgements on their own? Just b/c Vitale tells us JJ was the greatest shooter of all time doesn't make it true, NOTHING backs up JJ as a great shooter. If you can't shoot a great % and you don't hit big shtos how in the World can you be a great shooter or player?

who cares.

Heels won last night, thats all that counts.

I gotta side with JGB here. As a Heels fan, I'd much rather have Paulus on the court than Redick. I doubt if I'll ever be as relieved to see Paulus leave as I was to Redick. Redick puts fear in your eyes, I'd rather have Paulus shooting instead of him. Redick did a great job of getting open with the best defenders on him by using the pick, Paulus doesn't get open nearly as much, against subpar defenders. Redick took more shots, that's why his 3p% was lower. I find this amusing that nyjunc has declared that he's right, what good is it if you're the only one saying it?

Archived