Marcus Camby wins NBA Defensive Player of The Year Award (Thank You Scott Layden!)

PeterNorth09

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2851168

Bash Isiah all you want, he certainly deserves it, but I think Layden was even a more horrific GM. At least Thomas has made some good draft picks and Curry turned out to be a good Center. Layden had to be one of the most incompetent GM's I have ever seen in any sport.

In case you don't remember, the 2002 trade between the Knicks and Nuggets bassically looked like this: Knicks send the 7th pick in the draft and Marcus Camby for Antonio McDyess. The Knicks picked Nene Hilario b/c that's who Denver wanted. The end result of the trade was Denver getting cap room, a good, albeit injury prone young player in Hilario and Marcus Camby, who is now winning NBA defensive player of the year.

Imagine what would have happened if Layden didn't do this trade. Not only would we have kept Camby, who was a nice player, but we probably would have ended up drafting either Amare Stoudamire or Caron Butler.

Talk about your rape jobs.

K-Mart turned out to be a bust b/c of his knee problems but Camby has played very well for them. If the Knicks had Camby and Amare right now they'd be in the playoffs.

K-Mart is a bust????

Have you ever seen a Net game (when he was with them)??

He was solid for a good 3 years before that damned trade, he is a bust with Denver, but with the Nets he was IMO a top 5 PF.

K-Mart is a bust????

Have you ever seen a Net game (when he was with them)??

He was solid for a good 3 years before that damned trade, he is a bust with Denver, but with the Nets he was IMO a top 5 PF.

I meant he was a bust in Denver. Nets lucked out on that one. Bruce Ratner looks like a genius for not wanting to re-sign Martin when in actualiy he was just too cheap to want to pay him.

I meant he was a bust in Denver. Nets lucked out on that one. Bruce Ratner looks like a genius for not wanting to re-sign Martin when in actualiy he was just too cheap to want to pay him.

No, not really, because the Nets really had no success prior to the trade.

I loved Camby, but don't misunderstand what Layden was doing. According to some sources he was forced to pay off several handshake deals made by Checketts. The purpose of the Camby move was to get McDyess contract which was getting due to come off the books. The Knicks had som promising European players and were taking a beating hoping to get some cap relief. Isaiah walked into that situation and basically made move after move to improve the team without any care as to cap room, it was nearly impossible not to improve, yet he barely has. Then he took over from Larry Brown who was basically sabotaging the team to make them play his way and barely improved them as coach. He took over from two guys taking their lumps short term for long term gain and has barely improved and there is no hope for the future.

PS, the Nets let Kenyon go because he wanted a max deal and Ratner was just taking over and didn't want to spend. He has since admitted it was a mistake. As long as Thorn is in charge it looks like the Nets will be ok. The Knicks should have given him the reigns ages ago.

Archived