Carlos Guillen

Blackout

I think this guy is one of the most under rated players in baseball, I've drafted him the last 2 years in fantasy ball and love how he produces Derek Jeter-esqe stats but is available 3-4 rounds later.

other than Jeter there isn't a shortstop in the AL who's better in both '06 and 2007. Maybe Miggy Tejada but thats it.

I know there's a few Tiger fans on this board who know whats up, but how many other people have taken notice to his talent?

I think this guy is one of the most under rated players in baseball, I've drafted him the last 2 years in fantasy ball and love how he produces Derek Jeter-esqe stats but is available 3-4 rounds later.

other than Jeter there isn't a shortstop in the AL who's better in both '06 and 2007. Maybe Miggy Tejada but thats it.

I know there's a few Tiger fans on this board who know whats up, but how many other people have taken notice to his talent?

Guillen's been mentioned for years but immediately shot down by the Yankee fans.

Guillen = Jeter with more power.

Therefore: Guillen > Jeter

Jeters a better hitter, and definitetly a better fielder. Guillen has slightly more power, not by a significant margin though. Jeter walks more, hits for a higher average and gets on base at a better clip too. Guillens never had an OBP over .400

Jeter > Guillen,

The career averages are really slanted in Jeters favor, fwiw.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3246

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3944

there goes the yankeeness again.

Guillen=Jeter..cause hes a better hitter,power.

Carlos hit Detroit in 2004

since 2004:

Carlos: .319/.385/.510, 107 doubles, 23 triples, 50 home runs, 241 RBI, 273 runs, 167 walks, 38 stolen bases, 21 caught stealing

Jeter: .318/.390/.470, 119 doubles, 11 triples, 59 home runs, 273 RBI, 383 runs, 214 walks, 76 stolen bases, 19 caught stealing

both hit for average, Carlos slugs for more bases per at-bat

Jeter gets clear edges in base running, drawing walks and scoring runs.

I call it a statistical draw, but Jeter didn't miss nearly as much time and much better at defense (over the last couple of years).

Carlos hit Detroit in 2004

since 2004:

Carlos: .319/.385/.510, 107 doubles, 23 triples, 50 home runs, 241 RBI, 273 runs, 167 walks, 38 stolen bases, 21 caught stealing

Jeter: .318/.390/.470, 119 doubles, 11 triples, 59 home runs, 273 RBI, 383 runs, 214 walks, 76 stolen bases, 19 caught stealing

both hit for average, Carlos slugs for more bases per at-bat

Jeter gets clear edges in base running, drawing walks and scoring runs.

I call it a statistical draw, but Jeter didn't miss nearly as much time and much better at defense (over the last couple of years).

Jeter's OBP is only 5 points higher than Guillen's. Being as Guillen hits for more power, I would say that completely negates the fact that Jeter walks ever so slightly more. Runs scored are irrelevant. You know as well as I that RS is a statistic that is totally dependent on those that hit behind you. The Tigers offense is good, but they don't have the American League All-Star team hitting behind them like Jeter does.

Jeter's OBP is only 5 points higher than Guillen's. Being as Guillen hits for more power, I would say that completely negates the fact that Jeter walks ever so slightly more. Runs scored are irrelevant. You know as well as I that RS is a statistic that is totally dependent on those that hit behind you. The Tigers offense is good, but they don't have the American League All-Star team hitting behind them like Jeter does.

but when Guillen misses so much time that has an impact as well, doesn't it?

Archived