No such thing as Voluntary to Eric

Kentucky Jet

06/02/2007 3:25 PM ET

No such thing as 'voluntary' to Mangini

Jets head coach expects all players to attend OTAs

By Dylan Butler

It's an interesting thing, these voluntary workouts. By definition, players could participate if they want to, but the reality is - at least in the Eric Mangini Jets universe - there's no such thing as voluntary.

That's why every player attended the team's organized team activity (OTA) this week at Hofstra University. All, that is, but two.

Curtis Martin, who is still technically part of the team, is one player and offensive co-captain Pete Kendall is the other. Martin, whose retirement is inevitable even if the future Hall of Fame running back isn't yet ready to accept it, is a predictable no-show. Kendall, though, is not.

The veteran guard decided not to go, reportedly upset that his contract - $1.7 million a season - is paltry compared to the mega bucks offensive linesmen are getting now. He wants to renegotiate; the Jets do not. So what we have here is a standoff, not so uncommon in the sporting world, certainly not in the NFL. But in this say no evil, do no evil world of the Jets, it is downright shocking.

Because the workouts this week are voluntary, Mangini can't technically criticize a player for not participating. But read between his words and you can tell the second-year coach is none too pleased.

"The off*-season program is extremely important. These OTA days are extremely important," Mangini said. "They give us a chance to get a lot of work done to really set the groundwork leading into training camp and into the season."

"But these are voluntary days," he added. "They're important days. The players do have a right to choose whether or not to be here."

And Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum do have the right to trade or cut Kendall, as well. It would be a sad ending to a solid career if the two sides go down that road. Kendall has played the part of good soldier, helping groom rookies Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson last year and quietly changing positions when center Kevin Mawae was injured in 2005.

The Jets certainly have some interesting decisions to make in the coming weeks. In addition to the Kendall situation, Gang Green must decide what to do with Justin Miller, who was arrested for allegedly punching a woman outside of a Manhattan club and then fleeing from cops on May 21.

Miller is certainly not the first NFL player to make the police blotter, but Mangini doesn't go through a single press conference without mentioning the importance of having character players and it's a safe bet that a player with criminal charges hanging over his head isn't his definition of character.

For now, Miller, a dangerous punt returner who was the lone Jet voted to the Pro Bowl last year, is with the team, he's keeping his head down and saying and doing all the right things.

"It's an unfortunate situation," Miller said. "Right now, it's a legal matter and I can't discuss it. I'd just like to reiterate my apology to my team, the organization and my fans."

And then there's Justin McCareins, who was all but a goner a month ago. The wide receiver was reportedly being shopped around by the Jets before the draft, but there were no buyers. It's not that he has no value, it's that the rest of the NFL knows the Jets are desperate to unload him, especially since $2.9 million is a lot to pay for a No. 3 receiver.

But there was McCareins at the Jets practice facility this week, earning rave reviews from Mangini, who on Friday showed the team clips of his work the day before.

"He had three plays that jumped off of the screen," he said. "It had nothing to do with a specific situation, just good, smart and solid football."

Could it be those comments were intended for the other 31 general managers and coaches in the league more than the assembled press inside of Weeb Ewbank Hall?

All I can say is this.

Mangini was born to be a coach. He is more than just a coach, he is a Man who turns Young Men into Men and shows them the ropes along the way.

Why do you think this Rookie head coach in Mangini came up with a plan in life that can show these Football players what it is too actually be in a battle, be the underdog, and fight when you can not fight anymore... Bringing Teddy into the Jets lockerroom and actually watching classic boxing Match-up's was a MANgenious idea. He is going to build a mentality in these players where on Sundays they come more to just play and collect playchecks on Sundays... They come to war.

We all know what we have in our Veteran players. They will soon become Veteran Leaders. But we have a young team, with players who are going to learn from not only Mangini, but BB and BP's when it comes to playing the game of football... THE RIGHT WAY. (HERM EDWARDS, I like ya, I thought it was great how we would make it to the playoffs... But :box: )

For now, Miller, a dangerous punt returner who was the lone Jet voted to the Pro Bowl last year, is with the team, he's keeping his head down and saying and doing all the right things.

I was gonna make a comment on how the writer loses credibility with this comment,but its technically true. Miller is a dangerous punt returner; it doesn't specify which team is in dnager when he's returning punts

All I can say is this.

Mangini was born to be a coach. He is more than just a coach, he is a Man who turns Young Men into Men and shows them the ropes along the way.

Why do you think this Rookie head coach in Mangini came up with a plan in life that can show these Football players what it is too actually be in a battle, be the underdog, and fight when you can not fight anymore... Bringing Teddy into the Jets lockerroom and actually watching classic boxing Match-up's was a MANgenious idea. He is going to build a mentality in these players where on Sundays they come more to just play and collect playchecks on Sundays... They come to war.

We all know what we have in our Veteran players. They will soon become Veteran Leaders. But we have a young team, with players who are going to learn from not only Mangini, but BB and BP's when it comes to playing the game of football... THE RIGHT WAY. (HERM EDWARDS, I like ya, I thought it was great how we would make it to the playoffs... But :box: )

If he is such a "leader of men" and so capable of showing the ropes along the way then why is he deathly afraid of any player that has even the slightest character issue? Not only do the Jets only draft players with spotless records, but they almost always draft and pick up UDFA that were team captains and already established leaders. Obviously he wants leaders on the field, but he isn't exactly creating leaders and turning them into men. Personally, I find most of that rah rah **** nauseating, but that's me. I never liked any of that chanting and "motivational" bull****. Even now I find it funny gathering around for the little "hand in" chants. I like football, don't need Teddy Atlas or war movies to get me going.

Archived