Chris Patrick's Pro Day

R44

Just got word from one of our inside draft sources that Nebraska offensive lineman/Supplemental draft prospect Chris Patrick put on a pretty good display in front of N.F.L. scouts at his personal workout today: Patrick ran the 40 yard dash in 5.1 seconds, did 31 bench reps of 225 pounds and posted a 28" vertical leap....Again, those are very solid numbers for the former Cornhusker defensive end/offensive tackle, who will likely project as a guard/center in the N.F.L. We will post more info on Patrick when we get it.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=22097&Q_SEASON=2006

P.S/Comments: Patrick is represented by O-Line agent/guru Joe Linta of Connecticut...Word is Patrick could get serios draft consideration between the 4th and 7th rounds (Day 2) and the Jets could use guard help.

Just got word from one of our inside draft sources that Nebraska offensive lineman/Supplemental draft prospect Chris Patrick put on a pretty good display in front of N.F.L. scouts at his personal workout today: Patrick ran the 40 yard dash in 5.1 seconds, did 31 bench reps of 225 pounds and posted a 28" vertical leap....Again, those are very solid numbers for the former Cornhusker defensive end/offensive tackle, who will likely project as a guard/center in the N.F.L. We will post more info on Patrick when we get it.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=22097&Q_SEASON=2006

P.S/Comments: Patrick is represented by O-Line agent/guru Joe Linta of Connecticut...Word is Patrick could get serios draft consideration between the 4th and 7th rounds (Day 2) and the Jets could use guard help.

Thanks for the info 44. This could be very interesting.

Greenseed, times will vary at pro days, as these players are hand timed....The info you are quoting is from scout.com, which means the info comes from a connected JI poster...:Typotux:

Faba, I agree that Patrick is a true possibility for the Jets. He has the same agent as Bender (Jets rookie OL) and the Jets could have a void at guard....also, the Jets only had 4 picks, so this adds another rookie to the class. I would guess he would NOT be drafted before round 5, so this would not be a huge committment.

By the way, Patrick told the Nebraska media he would like to play for Patriots. I can't blame him, as the Patriots tend to like OG's that are similar to him -- Day 2 types, that work hard and are technically sound...

But, as we've seen, the Jets new braintrust thinks like the Patriots. so he'd be a fit with the Jets, also.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/06/19/huskerextra/doc46773444c80f3916831689.txt

Greenseed, times will vary at pro days, as these players are hand timed....The info you are quoting is from scout.com, which means the info comes from a connected JI poster...:Typotux:

Faba, I agree that Patrick is a true possibility for the Jets. He has the same agent as Bender (Jets rookie OL) and the Jets could have a void at guard....also, the Jets only had 4 picks, so this adds another rookie to the class. I would guess he would NOT be drafted before round 5, so this would not be a huge committment.

By the way, Patrick told the Nebraska media he would like to play for Patriots. I can't blame him, as the Patriots tend to like OG's that are similar to him -- Day 2 types, that work hard and are technically sound...

But, as we've seen, the Jets new braintrust thinks like the Patriots. so he'd be a fit with the Jets, also.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/06/19/huskerextra/doc46773444c80f3916831689.txt

Good detective work 44, The reported times I found on Rotoworld did originate from scout.com. It's nice to run into an informed poster...

Maybe you can correct me (if I'm wrong), but during the combine I recall an analyst (probably Mayock) saying that anytime a short-shuttle drill shows up 0.4 seconds less than a 40-time, that that player is quicker than fast. He said this during a D-line day so I'm not sure if the same rule applies to all players, or just D-lineman.

Anyway, it's not like lineman are going to need to run 40 yards...ever. Unless they're chasing down a turn-over recipient. So the fact that his 5.1 or 5.3, is considered quick when coupled with his 4.5 short-shuttle (which might be a 4.2 due to hand held timers ;) ) still means he should be an able pulling guard.

I don't know if we're in the market for supplemental quality players. Meaning, their ineligibilty is for a reason. Academic ineligibility doesn't seem to bode well for Mangini and his premium for smart players. Still, I fail to see the same desperation as other fans regarding our O-line depth. Behind the assumed starters (which excludes Kendall) we still have Wade Smith, Adrian Jones, and newly drafted Jacob Bender. The signed players like Wicker, and last year's fodder like Ed Blanton, and Robert Turner. Not to mention the new transformation of Matt Mchesney. How many back-ups do we truly need for this season? I think two is neccessary. Four is safe, and five is likely.

Is Patrick a great talent? Cause we have lot's of guys with size. We need talent.

Good detective work 44, The reported times I found on Rotoworld did originate from scout.com. It's nice to run into an informed poster...

Maybe you can correct me (if I'm wrong), but during the combine I recall an analyst (probably Mayock) saying that anytime a short-shuttle drill shows up 0.4 seconds less than a 40-time, that that player is quicker than fast. He said this during a D-line day so I'm not sure if the same rule applies to all players, or just D-lineman.

Anyway, it's not like lineman are going to need to run 40 yards...ever. Unless they're chasing down a turn-over recipient. So the fact that his 5.1 or 5.3, is considered quick when coupled with his 4.5 short-shuttle (which might be a 4.2 due to hand held timers ;) ) still means he should be an able pulling guard.

I don't know if we're in the market for supplemental quality players. Meaning, their ineligibilty is for a reason. Academic ineligibility doesn't seem to bode well for Mangini and his premium for smart players. Still, I fail to see the same desperation as other fans regarding our O-line depth. Behind the assumed starters (which excludes Kendall) we still have Wade Smith, Adrian Jones, and newly drafted Jacob Bender. The signed players like Wicker, and last year's fodder like Ed Blanton, and Robert Turner. Not to mention the new transformation of Matt Mchesney. How many back-ups do we truly need for this season? I think two is neccessary. Four is safe, and five is likely.

Is Patrick a great talent? Cause we have lot's of guys with size. We need talent.

Greenseed, I do believe the short-shuttle is more important for a lineman than a 40 time, as it measures quickness more than straight line speed. While NFL types marvel over fancy times put forth by O-lineman at the Combine, does it really matter when a Levi Brown runs a 5.4-something and is a Top 10 pick?

Is Patrick an elite talent?

That's a good question. I think he's probably the same caliber prospect as Bender (but Bender can project at OT, so he has the edge), but the fact that he's going the Supplemental route means he's probably not a 100% lock to be drafted. If I were to guess, I think he could be picked between rounds 5 or 6.

Becasue he might not be "that much" better than Bender, the Jets might not pick him. But he's likely better than Wicker, Blanton, Turner and some of the others you mentioned.

Here is a E-Mail I got from a football man very close to Patrick 2 weeks ago. He's vague about things (he usually projects a round), so even he doesn't know if Patrick will be picked due to the strange nature of the Supplemental draft:

Cornerback Paul Oliver from Georgia is an interesting player that will be available in the Supplemental draft. But there is another player who is drawing much interest also. He is offensive tackle Chris Patrick from Nebraska. Patrick is a 6' 4.5", 305 pound offensive lineman that can possibly project as an offensive guard or even move to Center. He is a powerful player with good technique and body control. Several teams have a need for offensive linemen and Chris Patrick is sitting there for some team to take. Patrick, who is a converted defensive end, played extremely well in the Bowl Game vs. Auburn.

P.S: This article brings up a question that may determine how high he could be drafted. Why did he leave Nebraska? If he left for a negative reason that could be harmful

http://bigrednetwork.com/archives/2007/03/chris_patrick_leaving_nu_for_s.html

Thanks for responding 44,

I did a little research of my own and found that the highly acclaimed O-line talents ran indisputable 5.1 times or better; 4.92 for Thomas and 4.78 for Staley.... Even DT's like Branch, Okoye and Tyler ran sub 5.2's.

Patrick's 40 time can be a function of his off-season training, or his god-given ability... either way, it's still on par (at best) for NFL running time standards. I think his work ethic, leadership, and all of those "character" measures will be a better gauge of his fit for this team.

I was one of those Blalock/Grubbs advocates who was whole-heartedly shocked that we moved UP to get a player. Conventional logic says we should've traded down, re-couped some picks and solidified the O-line.... The fact that we made educated decisions (I hope)to acquire players we truly desired, makes me secure that any player we truly desire, and have the ability to acquire.... will be on our team.

If we value Oliver, Patrick, or even Big-Daddy Wilkinson.... They WILL be wearing Green and White.

Archived