Sony Camera?

MrsTaborJet

I'm looking for a new camera and doing some research and looking for feedback on Sony.

Anyone have the Sony Cybershot? Looking in the $200-$250 price range, but won't let that dictate what I buy. Just not looking to spend $400 though.

Also, other then buying directly from Sony or even Best Buy... are there other online stores that I should check out for good pricing?

Thoughts, comments, reviews all welcome! :cheergal:

I've always been a big fan of Nikons. I hate the fact everyone is phasing out B&W film. It makes me sad.

Joe Baby- Sony's are good especially in low light and for wide angle, but we use panasonic HD cameras here and they are pretty sweet. They have cards so you don't even use film/video anymore. So you put everything on the hard drive and they hold a whole lot of memory.

I am now just realizing this doesn't apply to what MTJ asked, oops.

I've always been a big fan of Nikons. I hate the fact everyone is phasing out B&W film. It makes me sad.

Joe Baby- Sony's are good especially in low light and for wide angle, but we use panasonic HD cameras here and they are pretty sweet. They have cards so you don't even use film/video anymore. So you put everything on the hard drive and they hold a whole lot of memory.

I am now just realizing this doesn't apply to what MTJ asked, oops.

Those panasonics are nice, but do you know what those p2 cards cost? YIKES! 700 or more for an 8gb card that will get you 8-10 minutes of HD footage! Now, obviously that is going to give you some great footage, but if I need at least 60 minutes of tape times two cams, that is 12 cards at a minimum with no room for error in human or equipment. so 8,000.00 in cards or under 40.00 for two high quality tapes. Those p2 cards should really not be a hell of a lot more then any other compact storage device. Far as i am concerned, if those prices don't sink fast, technology revolving around standard high speed hard drives will pick up the slack. Sony already has a product to hook up to the new replacement for the Z1 i use.

Hold on a second. So Mr.Tabor gets to buy a $600 PS3 and you have a $200-$250 budget for a new camera? Something isn't adding up here.

Sure it does. Statistically, men make more money than women. I'm just sayin'.

Ummm, excuse me!!! I got $250 in birthday cash from family... I'll go out and spend $800 it really doesn't matter.... :cheergal:

Those panasonics are nice, but do you know what those p2 cards cost? YIKES! 700 or more for an 8gb card that will get you 8-10 minutes of HD footage! Now, obviously that is going to give you some great footage, but if I need at least 60 minutes of tape times two cams, that is 12 cards at a minimum with no room for error in human or equipment. so 8,000.00 in cards or under 40.00 for two high quality tapes. Those p2 cards should really not be a hell of a lot more then any other compact storage device. Far as i am concerned, if those prices don't sink fast, technology revolving around standard high speed hard drives will pick up the slack. Sony already has a product to hook up to the new replacement for the Z1 i use.

Oh I am very much aware of how much they cost. You can get bigger cards. Apparently there is a thumb drive like hook up too. I actually prefer to shoot on tape/film because it's a much more sure fire thing and it's easier to keep as far as archiving things go. The cards are easier to capture from, and quicker, but once you clear out the card you better have saved the footage somewhere.

Hold on a second. So Mr.Tabor gets to buy a $600 PS3 and you have a $200-$250 budget for a new camera? Something isn't adding up here.

Yeah. We already have a camera, albeit a little outdated. The Mrs. wants a slim designed camera. The one we have is a little bulky, and it's only 4 megapixels.

Yeah. We already have a camera, albeit a little outdated. The Mrs. wants a slim designed camera. The one we have is a little bulky, and it's only 4 megapixels.

Well...When the Mrs. wants something....get out of her way & let her have it.

Well, as to megapixels, don't feel that you need to step up to those new 10 megapixel point and shoots. I looked at some of them, and the sensors they use are not the same quality as the 10 megapixel D-SLR cams. The point and shoots at that high a megapix count introduce a lot of noise into the picture. Besides, shooting a 10 mp cam at full rez will give you giant file sizes (10mb each probably) eating up storage on your memory card and harddrive.

Archived