Renaldo Balkman Should Start This Year.

PeterNorth09

It looks like Ron Artest isn't going to the Knicks after all. My theory about what happened to the trade is that Isiah offered a David Lee and Malik Rose or Jared Jeffries package and what Geoff Petrie wanted instead was both David Lee and Renaldo Balkman. If that's the case I'm glad Isiah didn't make the deal. Giving up one of those guys for Artest would have been fine but both no way.

That being said, it looks like Isiah wants Quentin Richardson to start at SF. Richardson is really more suited to play Shooting Guard however. Personally I'd rather see Balkman start at the 3 spot. I love this guy's game. He plays hard, is always around the ball and is developing into a good defender and rebounder. He may not provide much offense but I heard he is working hard this off-season to improve his jump shot. Knicks would still get plenty of offense from Randolph, Curry, Richardson and Marbury.

In about 15 minutes a game last year Balkman averaged approx 5 points and 4 rebounds a game. Give him starter's minutes (around 30 a game) and a year of experience and he should be able to average 10 and 8 a game while playing solid defense in the perimeter and low post. Isiah took a big gamble on this guy which has so far paid off. He should give him a shot.

t1_balkman.jpg

Seems like a good fit. How good a defender he is, is a question mark though.

Coming out of college he was known as an excellent defender. Presumably, that's why Isiah took a chance on him, as the Knicks didn't play defense at all the year before.

Archived