housetraining

JetFanByMarriage

I have had dogs and cats for many years. You have to observe their tendencies, and adapt to them.

Now you know that he he will pee more than once in a short time- dogs like to mark their ground, and chances are he wanted to pee in more than one location.

Solution: take a longer walk next time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they still leave you a little present, then you have not taught them that it is wrong

You do not have to catch them in the act either.

If you are not around when they make the mess, you can still show them your disappointment by showing them the problem and firmly repeating "NO!"

Crate training is very effective, but it should be used in conjunction with humane physical punishment and simple vocabulary supported by emotion.

As Boozer mentioned, dogs will have a guilty conscience when they f'up and you can read them like a book! The bell, as mdrago said, is fantastic as well, but not all dogs will pick up on that sort of thing.

They will still get the message if you reprimand them correctly, even if it is a little time after they pooped. And keep them there when you are disgruntled and cleaning up their mess. They'll know why you are upset as you scoop their poop, and you tell them what they did was wrong.

If the dog has previously soiled your carpets (and you have not effectively neutralized the scents) then no wonder he keeps using it as a toilet!! You have, in fact, trained him to keep making potty indoors. It is not the dog spiting you. (take a black light.. you'll be horrified at all of the accident's you've missed).

If the dog makes a mess when the owner is NOT watching.. it is the OWNER'S boo boo.. not the dog's. Period. If you can't watch for his "potty signals" (and ALL dogs have them) because you have to make dinner or clean the toilet bowl or answer the phone, then the pup should go right in the crate (and he should only have enough room to get up and turn around else he will use one end for a toilet). If you don't want to crate train (the most effective way, btw) then have the dog tethered to you in the house, so he's *always* supervised.

It's as simple as that.

JFBM.. I'm telling you.. If you aren't there to catch pup in the act.. yelling whilst cleaning up will only proove that it is EASIER to poop while his maniac owner is NOT watching. Oh and his "guilty conscience" that Boozer speaks of is not guilt at all.. it's the dog presenting calming signals to it's owner (sure he knows yelling means owner is upset but dogs don't have guilt lol).

Google "housebreaking" if you don't believe me.

P.S. I really don't suggest physical punishment. I personally want my dogs to trust me not fear me.

JFBM.. I'm telling you.. If you aren't there to catch pup in the act.. yelling whilst cleaning up will only proove that it is EASIER to poop while his maniac owner is NOT watching. Oh and his "guilty conscience" that Boozer speaks of is not guilt at all.. it's the dog presenting calming signals to it's owner (sure he knows yelling means owner is upset but dogs don't have guilt lol).

I'm curious where you got this "guilty conscious" thing from my post, because I said no such thing. What I said is my dog knows that crapping in the house does not please his owner, and just as all dogs his main goal is to please his owner. He knows exactly what he did. Please explain to me how a dog who crapped in the house and instantly will show it with his demeanor the moment I walk in the door has no clue how to associate, and therefore must be caught in the act. He knows what he did and he knows it was going to make his owner mad. The notion that you can't repremand a dog unless you catch him in the act is complete nonsense. So long as there is an object involved, namely dog**** in this case, they can associate that object even after the fact.

I love dogs. I'll take an errant, misbehaving, dry humping dog over a human pup any day. Kidding. Dogs have to work with transcending human language, and then understand directives therein. Signs, body stances, they get it. Pretty damn cool when when you consider it. The fact that my dog eats paper, books and shreds socks....He was found starved, with no socialization. He was swept up from the bowels of my local inner city. He got a reprieve from the executioner thanks to me. Amazing he wasn't training bait. And I mean amazing.

You have no idea. Scr*w Michael Vick. Must I say it again that I will never equate human life with that of a dog, but does it make it any less depraved? Coy dogs. Rot Coys. Coy Pits. Dogs having to be tranquilized, just so they could relax enough to be euthanized. Maggots in their eyes, maggots in puncture wounds. Yeah, they'd scream as they were brought in rotting. Screaming because they were toxic and being eaten alive.

We had a general blood donor named George. A pitbull blind in one eye due to mauling and bait, kicked out onto the streets bloody. An amazing couple was willing to work with him. You had to snap your fingers in his left ear to let him know you were friendly. He learned that after months of training. And he went on to lick their baby in the face. Great stuff.

Anyway, my behaviorally challenged mutt, I'm thinking it's more me than him. He's eight now, and still a major b-hole. As to house-training (which at roughly six mos., he had none of), he caught on QUICK. I used a crate on loan, and it was a done deal within a week. And then he went on to eat my couch.

Wolves have brains that are 1/3 larger than domestic dogs as to brain/body ratio. That makes them as acutely smart as a 4 yr. old human child. How scary is that. Cognizant. Complex social orders and all. Don't be afraid of the big bad wolf, now. He can pick a lock. Hell, maybe he can even drive your car. Good luck with the potty.

If the dog has previously soiled your carpets (and you have not effectively neutralized the scents) then no wonder he keeps using it as a toilet!! You have, in fact, trained him to keep making potty indoors. It is not the dog spiting you. (take a black light.. you'll be horrified at all of the accident's you've missed).

Agreed, you must remove all traces. Dogs=creatures of habit.

If the dog makes a mess when the owner is NOT watching.. it is the OWNER'S boo boo.. not the dog's. Period. If you can't watch for his "potty signals" (and ALL dogs have them) because you have to make dinner or clean the toilet bowl or answer the phone, then the pup should go right in the crate (and he should only have enough room to get up and turn around else he will use one end for a toilet). If you don't want to crate train (the most effective way, btw) then have the dog tethered to you in the house, so he's *always* supervised.

It's as simple as that.

Hey, no argument there. Crate training is effective, as I mentioned. However, not everyone has the heart. As someone mentioned, the dogs actually appreciate having their own piece of the rock.

Agree to disagree here. IMHO dogs absolutely know when THEY are the reason for their owner's displeasure. In addition, when shown their mess, they know they were responsible for it, and they can, over time, correlate their mess with your displeasure.

P.S. I really don't suggest physical punishment. I personally want my dogs to trust me not fear me.

This one actually hurt my feelings. You took my comment, I assume, way out of context. I said humane physical punishment. Some breeds are hyper and have short attention spans. I in no way suggested that one should harm a dog in order to get one's point across. Dogs are pack animals. The owner should always be the alpha. Simply cupping your hands with the dogs head in between, while looking them directly in the eye, shows them you mean business. Mind you, this kind of technique must start early and you must be familiar with the dog (i.e. don't try this with some random dog in the park). You absolutely want trust over fear. A fearful dog is a dangerous one. Ask Vick! If you are not stern with your dog; however (which, IMO, crate training is a stern technique), then your dog will own you, versus the contrary.

I'm curious where you got this "guilty conscious" thing from my post, because I said no such thing. What I said is my dog knows that crapping in the house does not please his owner, and just as all dogs his main goal is to please his owner. He knows exactly what he did. Please explain to me how a dog who crapped in the house and instantly will show it with his demeanor the moment I walk in the door has no clue how to associate, and therefore must be caught in the act. He knows what he did and he knows it was going to make his owner mad. The notion that you can't repremand a dog unless you catch him in the act is complete nonsense. So long as there is an object involved, namely dog**** in this case, they can associate that object even after the fact.

Ryno paraphrased something you said and I was actually quoting him. My apologies.

It is a myth that dogs want to please their owners. They do what is in their own best interest. They have no guilt. But they are experts at reading body language and they do smell/sense anger, fear, stress etc.. So if a dog looks "guilty" and is "sucking up" to owner, what it is actually doing is providing what's called calming signals in order to try to avoid punishment (clearly self serving, not pleasing).

And yes, I agree.. dogs learn by association. They will make associations with an owner yelling at them for messing in the house (which I will say again.. OWNERS fault, not dog's) and they do the "suck up" in order to try and calm owner down/avoid punishment.

Agreed, you must remove all traces. Dogs=creatures of habit.

Hey, no argument there. Crate training is effective, as I mentioned. However, not everyone has the heart. As someone mentioned, the dogs actually appreciate having their own piece of the rock.

Agree to disagree here. IMHO dogs absolutely know when THEY are the reason for their owner's displeasure. In addition, when shown their mess, they know they were responsible for it, and they can, over time, correlate their mess with your displeasure.

This one actually hurt my feelings. You took my comment, I assume, way out of context. I said humane physical punishment. Some breeds are hyper and have short attention spans. I in no way suggested that one should harm a dog in order to get one's point across. Dogs are pack animals. The owner should always be the alpha. Simply cupping your hands with the dogs head in between, while looking them directly in the eye, shows them you mean business. Mind you, this kind of technique must start early and you must be familiar with the dog (i.e. don't try this with some random dog in the park). You absolutely want trust over fear. A fearful dog is a dangerous one. Ask Vick! If you are not stern with your dog; however (which, IMO, crate training is a stern technique), then your dog will own you, versus the contrary.

Ok, so we agree on most. It's totally fine to disagree on things. That is the way of the world, you know.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just commenting on what you wrote. I don't think you made your intentions clear enough, perhaps.

95% of all dog behavior "problems" are the direct result of the owner's mistakes. And yes, that means yelling at a dog for messing in the house. (Again, owner's fault for not having eyes on dog at all times). And the only thing that teaches the dog is to do it w/o the owner being present.

example: Do speeding tickets stop people from speeding? No. It only makes people find ways to speed without being caught. Clearly, we know speeding is wrong on so many levels, yet we do it anyway.. when we *think* the cops are not around to "punish" us.

I *do* agree with being firm. But, by being in control of *all* of the dogs resources (food, water, play, affection) humans are automatically alphas.

My dog knows her "place in the pack" because we make her earn all of these resources (even if it's just by asking her to sit before she gets). She is allowed on furniture *only* if invited and needs to get off when instructed to do so. No "free rides" coupled with positive reinforcement has yielded amazing results.

I'll reference the speeding ticket again. If you knew you would get $100 *every* time you went the speed limit.. I'm betting you would go out of your way to obey the speed limit. In the very least, your "success rate" would dramatically improve.

Use this method with dogs and you get the same result. It's Pavlovian conditioning. Every time I do *this* I get *that*! It's a matter of the dog trying to succeed rather than avoiding the consequences of failing.

And, for the record, crate training is not stern. Dogs are den animals, if trained correctly (positively reinforced), dogs *love* being in their crates. Not a stern method *at all* (unless they associate it with negative/punishment).

Ok, so we agree on most. It's totally fine to disagree on things. That is the way of the world, you know.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just commenting on what you wrote. I don't think you made your intentions clear enough, perhaps.

95% of all dog behavior "problems" are the direct result of the owner's mistakes. And yes, that means yelling at a dog for messing in the house. (Again, owner's fault for not having eyes on dog at all times). And the only thing that teaches the dog is to do it w/o the owner being present.

example: Do speeding tickets stop people from speeding? No. It only makes people find ways to speed without being caught. Clearly, we know speeding is wrong on so many levels, yet we do it anyway.. when we *think* the cops are not around to "punish" us.

I *do* agree with being firm. But, by being in control of *all* of the dogs resources (food, water, play, affection) humans are automatically alphas.

My dog knows her "place in the pack" because we make her earn all of these resources (even if it's just by asking her to sit before she gets). She is allowed on furniture *only* if invited and needs to get off when instructed to do so. No "free rides" coupled with positive reinforcement has yielded amazing results.

I'll reference the speeding ticket again. If you knew you would get $100 *every* time you went the speed limit.. I'm betting you would go out of your way to obey the speed limit. In the very least, your "success rate" would dramatically improve.

Use this method with dogs and you get the same result. It's Pavlovian conditioning. Every time I do *this* I get *that*! It's a matter of the dog trying to succeed rather than avoiding the consequences of failing.

And, for the record, crate training is not stern. Dogs are den animals, if trained correctly (positively reinforced), dogs *love* being in their crates. Not a stern method *at all* (unless they associate it with negative/punishment).

Thanks Verde! I have read so many different things that it can be confuesing. I know he is still little and a toy breed so a small bladder too. i am going to be patient and keep him in my sight or in the crate. He does respond to positive that is for sure.

I did not mean this thread to become hot and heavy but I appreciate all of the insight that has been given. Everyone has given me great suggestions. Thank you very much!:)

Now if could only get Max to walk him once before bed we would be good!:character0053::biggrin:

Thanks Verde! I have read so many different things that it can be confuesing. I know he is still little and a toy breed so a small bladder too. i am going to be patient and keep him in my sight or in the crate. He does respond to positive that is for sure.

I did not mean this thread to become hot and heavy but I appreciate all of the insight that has been given. Everyone has given me great suggestions. Thank you very much!:)

I think we're all just sharing our experiences. It's a healthy discussion. I think. lol.

There are definitely 2 schools of thought on dog training. The "Dominance Down" people and the "Positive Reinforcement" people. It can definitely be confusing. Like children, some dogs respond differently to different methods. One of your children may respond to a simple cold hard stare, the other may not. lol. You need to know your dog and yourself. Marinade in all the advice and use what makes the most sense to you!

If I can suggest 2 EXCELLENT authors/books..

The Culture Clash (Jean Donaldson)

The Other End of the Leash (Patricia McConnel)

I agree that behavior "problems" are a result of the owner's misguidance, but I do not think you should have to hawk-eye your dog for obedience. And I am not sure who suggested yelling, but it certainly was not me. However, you must use a stern, commanding voice that they associate with serious, as opposed to a cutesy no, no lil' darlin'.

You would be surprised how many owners let their dogs walk all over them. I have seen plenty of instances where the owners were surely not the alpha. Especially when you have situations where the dog is owned by a couple. Often, the dog will show loyalty to one but not the other. You left out a resource as well; territory. By controlling the dog's territory, you can decide what goes on in said territory. You know, the same idea as why dogs pee on fire hydrants. If you make it clear that they are not to mess in your territory, they will learn. Of course, as we discussed previously, the odor and scent traces must be eliminated, which can be extremely difficult in some circumstances.

These are solid dog training techniques, all reverting back to conditioning. Obviously, you must work with your animal to reach this point.

Absolutely, and the same can be done with potty training. If you condition your dog to learn that messing inside is not cool, they will get the message. Non abusive, positive reinforcement techniques are the best, but you should always be in control.

Perhaps I was not clear enough here. I do not think create training is stern as far as the dog is concerned. Some owners have guilt issues with caging their animals and view it as stern. I too think it is stern (which is necessary), but it is by no means inhumane or cruel. Eventually, they will love the crate, as it belongs to them. But, at first, you must be stern by not letting them out of their crate for the slightest whimper and such.

I think we're all just sharing our experiences. It's a healthy discussion. I think. lol.

There are definitely 2 schools of thought on dog training. The "Dominance Down" people and the "Positive Reinforcement" people. It can definitely be confusing. Like children, some dogs respond differently to different methods. One of your children may respond to a simple cold hard stare, the other may not. lol. You need to know your dog and yourself. Marinade in all the advice and use what makes the most sense to you!

If I can suggest 2 EXCELLENT authors/books..

The Culture Clash (Jean Donaldson)

The Other End of the Leash (Patricia McConnel)

Spot on here! For the record, this is healthy discussion! :)

Perhaps the brightest light I could shed would be:

Patience and every breed, moreover every dog, responds differently. My two are polar opposites! My wife and I refer to one of them as having ADD and the other reminds us of Eeyore! They are inseparable though (sisters that have never been apart). I have to use different techniques with each of them in order to achieve maximum responsiveness.

I love them to pieces, but we have had our difficulties along the way. They were a little tough to begin with, b/c they were rescues and had already developed several bad habits. In addition, it was obvious that they had been abused. Eeyore (her real name is Louise and her sister is Thelma; they were two girls on the run when I found them, get it?) still cowers down at the slights change of tone in my voice; its really sad. But they are fantastic friends and I would not trade them for a Jets SB Win!

I agree that behavior "problems" are a result of the owner's misguidance, but I do not think you should have to hawk-eye your dog for obedience. And I am not sure who suggested yelling, but it certainly was not me. However, you must use a stern, commanding voice that they associate with serious, as opposed to a cutesy no, no lil' darlin'.

I definitely agree with tonality of voice. I didn't say you always have to hawk eye your dog forever.. I was reffering to the puppy housebreaking stage! :grin:

You would be surprised how many owners let their dogs walk all over them. I have seen plenty of instances where the owners were surely not the alpha. Especially when you have situations where the dog is owned by a couple. Often, the dog will show loyalty to one but not the other. You left out a resource as well; territory. By controlling the dog's territory, you can decide what goes on in said territory. You know, the same idea as why dogs pee on fire hydrants. If you make it clear that they are not to mess in your territory, they will learn. Of course, as we discussed previously, the odor and scent traces must be eliminated, which can be extremely difficult in some circumstances.

I did mentioned territory (I don't allow dogs on furniture without an invitation.. I, not the dog, own everything in my house, ) I just forgot to group it with other resources!

Absolutely.. some people do not understand that they control everything the dog *needs* in life. Leaving feeding dishes out all day for the dog to free range, letting dogs on furniture with no invitation, letting the dog barrel through doors first, petting a dog that nudges your arm.. these are all examples of an owner who is allowing the dog hierarchy in the pack!

Absolutely, and the same can be done with potty training. If you condition your dog to learn that messing inside is not cool, they will get the message. Non abusive, positive reinforcement techniques are the best, but you should always be in control.

That's what I've been saying. But I insist that in the early stages of housebreaking, the pup should never be left to roam unattended (increasing the likelyhood of accidents).

Interupting the pup mid accident with a "NO" or an "uh uh uh" and led right out to appropriate spot (followed by praise and/or a treat) works best.

Perhaps I was not clear enough here. I do not think create training is stern as far as the dog is concerned. Some owners have guilt issues with caging their animals and view it as stern. I too think it is stern (which is necessary), but it is by no means inhumane or cruel. Eventually, they will love the crate, as it belongs to them. But, at first, you must be stern by not letting them out of their crate for the slightest whimper and such.

If the owner can't take the whimpering/barking/howling and lets the dog out of the crate.. the dog (smart fella) has successfully trained it's owner that whimpering/barking/howling works! Much like a parent that gives in to a child's temper tantrum.

If the owner thinks crate training is too "stern" or gives in to doggie temper tantrum, then oh well.. the owner is missing out on an amazing training tool.

Crate training WORKS! We both agree on that.

(Oooh Ryno, I'm loving sparring with you!) :grin:;-)

(Oooh Ryno, I'm loving sparring with you!) :grin:;-)

I was just beginning to enjoy our lil' bout as well, but damn-it-hell, I think we are pretty much in agreement on everything at this point. I don't know if your rhetoric or mine was the culprit, but somehow we argued until we agreed! Alas, wherefore must I confuse my simple mind at such an early juncture in my lucidity?

Ah well, at least we managed to run everyone else off aside from JFBM, who was looking for advice, but know seems more confused than when she posed the question! Take home message JFBM: make Max clean it up!

I was just beginning to enjoy our lil' bout as well, but damn-it-hell, I think we are pretty much in agreement on everything at this point. I don't know if your rhetoric or mine was the culprit, but somehow we argued until we agreed! Alas, wherefore must I confuse my simple mind at such an early juncture in my lucidity?

Ah well, at least we managed to run everyone else off aside from JFBM, who was looking for advice, but know seems more confused than when she posed the question! Take home message JFBM: make Max clean it up!

lol!!!!!:)

Then how do you know if your dog is in his crate and whinning that he does not need to go out, instaed of looking for attention?

First, you have to let pup associate crate=good. Never ever put the pup in a crate in a negative way (for punishment or w/o reinforcement.)

Keep the door open, throw treats and toys in it. Let the pup go in and out as he pleases.. getting the treat or the toy. Whenever he walks in, praise him, give him a scritch or a belly rub. Keep repeating this. Build up to where you close the door for a few seconds and then throw bits of chicken in (while the door is closed), then praise and open the door... etc.

You must let pup know that his crate is *his* special good place.

As for the whining.. you give him a few minutes in (ignoring the whining) and then take him out and bring him out to the potty spot.. if he goes, excellent... praise praise praise. If not, back in the crate (for 10 minutes) and you keep repeating.

Make sure to partition the crate so that he only has enough room to comfortably lay down, get up and turn. Too much room and he will use excess space for his potty.

I hate to tell you to google "crate training" but you really should. There are SO MANY great articles out there that will make it crystal clear and give you far more (step by step) information then I can give in a post or two.

Patience, he is only a baby! :grin:

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. We have decided to get rid of the dog. Just wanted to let everyone know.

We tried, it just didn't work out.

Good move on JFBM's part. Taking care of one pet with special needs makes it difficult to properly care for something that requires as much attention as a dog...

dork-33464.jpg

puppy peed on the couch after just going out. I am just sayin!

If you caught him doing it (and you should have if you were keeping your eyes on him).. did you scoop him up immediately.. "NO NO NO" and bring him to desired local? I'm just sayin'!

If you caught him doing it (and you should have if you were keeping your eyes on him).. did you scoop him up immediately.. "NO NO NO" and bring him to desired local? I'm just sayin'!

yup! He had a rough time yesturday but we are better so far this morning. I am going to start over and be strict again. He was sitting right next to me when he peed. Just sayin.

yup! He had a rough time yesturday but we are better so far this morning. I am going to start over and be strict again. He was sitting right next to me when he peed. Just sayin.

So.. you did the right thing then (make sure you neutralize the spot with Nature's miracle)

It will just take time. There will be many accidents along the way. Puppies are tough. That is why they are made so cute.. so you don't kill them!

:rl: Too true!

Isn't it, though?

My pup got into a bag of SweeTarts one day and pretty much redecorated my entire family room in multi-colored puke. It was everywhere!! If it wasn't for her adorable little face, I would've killed her! lol.

It will just take time. There will be many accidents along the way. Puppies are tough. That is why they are made so cute.. so you don't kill them!

That is what they say about me. How else can you explain me doing dumb stuff all the time and getting away with it?

Isn't it, though?

My pup got into a bag of SweeTarts one day and pretty much redecorated my entire family room in multi-colored puke. It was everywhere!! If it wasn't for her adorable little face, I would've killed her! lol.

My favorite story of my two is when they played tug-o-war with a bean-bag pillow and those damn little beads went everywhere! I could not keep a straight face! They had lil' white beads all over their face; they are so worth it!

I want to thank you for this thread JFBM. It has made me miss my pups! I've been extremely busy at work, plus we have a 4-month old daughter. Basically, I feel like I have neglected them a bit of late. So, today I am working from home. Its raining out and they are right here with me! THANKS! :grin:

My favorite story of my two is when they played tug-o-war with a bean-bag pillow and those damn little beads went everywhere! I could not keep a straight face! They had lil' white beads all over their face; they are so worth it!

I want to thank you for this thread JFBM. It has made me miss my pups! I've been extremely busy at work, plus we have a 4-month old daughter. Basically, I feel like I have neglected them a bit of late. So, today I am working from home. Its raining out and they are right here with me! THANKS! :grin:

Glad I could help. I realized when we got this little guy how little attention our 11 year old Australian Shepherd was getting. Jackson has been good for him too!

I appreciate you guys sharing, it makes me less frustrated with the process.

I always hated the potty trianing stage with the kids, it was such a hard time to go through. You needed alot of patience.

Archived