housetraining

JetFanByMarriage

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy some hickory wood chips and put them in the little newspaper area in the house. then after a while put some of the hickory wood chips out in the yard where you want him to go potty, and wallah. he's trained. my friend has a kennel where he raises labs. it works great.

Mrs. Max--

I work part time at a store sellin pups these days (for fun mainly!) and there are definitely some easy ways to housebreak a pup. He's got a small bladder right now and needs to go out anywhere from 5-10 times a day. Just make sure you get a lot of repetition, as Boozer said. Everytime he eats, drinks, plays, or you get home, before you leave, take him out, and applaud him when he goes. This will get him used to the feeling of having to go, and the proper way to deal with it.

What kind of dog do you have?

Hmmm. I hate to say this JFBM but some of those toy breeds are just house piddlers and poo'rs. Ask my parents about their Yorkie. lol.

I am a firm believer in crate training. Works like a charm.

Also.. watch "It's me or the dog" with Victoria Stillwell on Animal Planet. This issue is routinely addressed.

Mrs. Max--

I work part time at a store sellin pups these days (for fun mainly!) and there are definitely some easy ways to housebreak a pup. He's got a small bladder right now and needs to go out anywhere from 5-10 times a day. Just make sure you get a lot of repetition, as Boozer said. Everytime he eats, drinks, plays, or you get home, before you leave, take him out, and applaud him when he goes. This will get him used to the feeling of having to go, and the proper way to deal with it.

What kind of dog do you have?

bichon, he is five months old.

Hmmm. I hate to say this JFBM but some of those toy breeds are just house piddlers and poo'rs. Ask my parents about their Yorkie. lol.

I am a firm believer in crate training. Works like a charm.

Also.. watch "It's me or the dog" with Victoria Stillwell on Animal Planet. This issue is routinely addressed.

that is why I am wondering if he should be litter or training pad trained.

I love that show V!!!

Buy some hickory wood chips and put them in the little newspaper area in the house. then after a while put some of the hickory wood chips out in the yard where you want him to go potty, and wallah. he's trained. my friend has a kennel where he raises labs. it works great.

yeah, plus nothin beats the scent of good ole hickory flavored dog$hit

I said I will try to do better and I won't drink anything after 8pm. Getting called out like this is just embarassing.

Haha, you're on a roll.

-----------------

It's not so much them letting you know- YOU have to take them out regularly, and discipline them when they poop in the house (No!).

Hello- you're training them, not the other way around.

Associative conditioning. When it's time to take the pup out, stand by the door, jangle the keys, and ask if he/she needs to go OUT. Then walk him til they go, and tell them how good they did. Repeat and rinse.

They'll get the idea.

Haha, you're on a roll.

-----------------

It's not so much them letting you know- YOU have to take them out regularly, and discipline them when they poop in the house (No!).

Associative conditioning. When it's time to take the pup out, stand by the door, jangle the keys, and ask if he/she needs to go OUT. Then walk him til they go, and tell them how good they did. Repeat and rinse.

They'll get the idea.

Jetcane is on the mark here. You are the alpha, you decide when the dog does its duty. Once they figure out that it disappoints you when they mess indoors, they will wait till you take them out (this could be a relatively slow process, as all breeds are different). Vocabulary is important as well. Jetcane's terms were great; one syllable commands for everything. Names ideally should be one syllable as well. Dogs have a limited amount of words they can learn, and if you keep things simple for them, they will reward you by picking things up faster. Try praising them heavily when they do right (as was mentioned), and try small treats as rewards. Nothing fancy or expensive, just something that assures them of being in your good graces. Of course, patience is of the utmost importance.

dog-walking-emoticon.gifdog-walking-emoticon.gifdog-walking-emoticon.gifdog-walking-emoticon.gif

Haha, you're on a roll.

-----------------

They'll get the idea.

You can only say "no" if you actually catch them in the act.

JFBM, there are TONS of great resources on housetraining.. you just need to keep a better watch on your pup and have more patience (he's only 5 months old!)

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_housetraining

Once they figure out that it disappoints you when they mess indoors, they will wait till you take them out

Not true.. they will just wait until you are not present to leave you a little present.

Reprimanding (saying "NO") only works if you catch the dog making the accident.

If they do mess in the house, be sure to neutralize the area with a product like Nature's Miracle.

2 words, JFBM.. CRATE TRAIN! It ALWAYS works if you do it right.

Not true.. they will just wait until you are not present to leave you a little present.

If they do mess in the house, be sure to neutralize the area with a product like Nature's Miracle.

so what is thr right way?

I feel bad leaving him in there while I am home.

anyone have any good tricks to teach a pup to tell you he has to go out?

He is doing well when we take him out but does not know how to tell me on his own.

Someone probably already said this, but my dog used a bell. It worked really well except i couldn't always hear it. just dangle it from the wall, near the door, and push his nose against it before he goes out (everytime! don't skip!).

i had good success with it, some other long time dog owners told me about that one.

Someone probably already said this, but my dog used a bell. It worked really well except i couldn't always hear it. just dangle it from the wall, near the door, and push his nose against it before he goes out (everytime! don't skip!).

i had good success with it, some other long time dog owners told me about that one.

I actually went to get one yesturday but the store did not have any.:)

it's actually cruel not to crate train. dogs are den animals and get comfort from being in their crate. my GSD sleeps in it even when not "locked" in. she loves it. what is cruel is not properly communicating what you want from the dog-- crate training is the most effective way to do this and gives your dog a spot that is hers and only hers. it's her refuge, not a prison. of course you shouldn't leave them in there 20 hrs a day but crate training is far from cruel; it's actually kind.

for us, repetition + crate.

repetition: every hour or so when home, take the dog out back to the 1 spot you want him to go. when he does, repeat your keyword...pottypottypotty etc. so he learns the word.

over time, spread out the 1hr until he lingers to the door on his own.

At night, we put a bed in a crate (large cage 3x his size - more like a doghouse). our dog accepted it as his house and took all his naps there. He'll just have to pee in there until he can make it overnight...but he'll try immediately, since he doesn't want to sleep in it.

for us, repetition + crate.

repetition: every hour or so when home, take the dog out back to the 1 spot you want him to go. when he does, repeat your keyword...pottypottypotty etc. so he learns the word.

over time, spread out the 1hr until he lingers to the door on his own.

At night, we put a bed in a crate (large cage 3x his size - more like a doghouse). our dog accepted it as his house and took all his naps there. He'll just have to pee in there until he can make it overnight...but he'll try immediately, since he doesn't want to sleep in it.

I've heard you should just let them have crates big enough to let them stand, and turn around. that way they will definatly not pee in there since, like you said, they don't want to sit in pee.

It's not too hard to get your dog to like their crate, i just sat in front of it and threw a cherio in there and said good boy when he'd go get it. i'd try to make him eat it in there, then let him out...10 minutes a day for about a week got him to love the crate.

I really don't buy this theory based on my experience. Of course it is best to catch them in the act, however if the evidence is there and they know in the past that messing in the house is wrong, they'll know what you're talikng about.

I know my dog messed in the house from the moment I see him. His whole demeanor is changed, I don't need to see (or smell) the evidence to know I'm about to find a present on the kitchen floor. Furthermore, I don't even need to reprimand him about it. If he sees me cleaning he will immediately go lay down in the corner and won't move until I tell him it is ok. Strangely enough, he was very sick with diarrhea a while back. I never repremand him for that because he is sick and can't help that. Anytime he ever has diarrhea in the kitchen his demeanor definately is not excited, but he doesn't "self punish" himself automatically. It's like he knows that a regular crap is bad, and a sick crap is not good, but not bad either.

You can only say "no" if you actually catch them in the act.

Yes, the thread asked about "teach a pup to tell you he has to go out" so I presumed that she would be home when this happened.

Dont get snippy with me.

:P

Jetcane is on the mark here. You are the alpha, you decide when the dog does its duty. Once they figure out that it disappoints you when they mess indoors, they will wait till you take them out (this could be a relatively slow process, as all breeds are different). Vocabulary is important as well. Jetcane's terms were great; one syllable commands for everything. Names ideally should be one syllable as well. Dogs have a limited amount of words they can learn, and if you keep things simple for them, they will reward you by picking things up faster. Try praising them heavily when they do right (as was mentioned), and try small treats as rewards. Nothing fancy or expensive, just something that assures them of being in your good graces. Of course, patience is of the utmost importance.

If they still leave you a little present, then you have not taught them that it is wrong or you are waiting too long between outside visits. You do not have to catch them in the act either. Dogs use scents to remember things. They know exactly 100% what their urine and feces smell like. They can distinguish their smell from all other creatures. If you are not around when they make the mess, you can still show them your disappointment by showing them the problem and firmly repeating "NO!" Immediately take them out. Crate training is very effective, but it should be used in conjunction with humane physical punishment and simple vocabulary supported by emotion. As Boozer mentioned, dogs will have a guilty conscience when they f'up and you can read them like a book! The bell, as mdrago said, is fantastic as well, but not all dogs will pick up on that sort of thing.

As for Max; well, he's hopeless. But, it is better on your floor than in the laundry. At least he figured that much out!

If they still leave you a little present, then you have not taught them that it is wrong or you are waiting too long between outside visits. You do not have to catch them in the act either. Dogs use scents to remember things. They know exactly 100% what their urine and feces smell like. They can distinguish their smell from all other creatures. If you are not around when they make the mess, you can still show them your disappointment by showing them the problem and firmly repeating "NO!" Immediately take them out. Crate training is very effective, but it should be used in conjunction with humane physical punishment and simple vocabulary supported by emotion. As Boozer mentioned, dogs will have a guilty conscience when they f'up and you can read them like a book! The bell, as mdrago said, is fantastic as well, but not all dogs will pick up on that sort of thing.

As for Max; well, he's hopeless. But, it is better on your floor than in the laundry. At least he figured that much out!

Good points, Ryno. They will still get the message if you reprimand them correctly, even if it is a little time after they pooped. And keep them there when you are disgruntled and cleaning up their mess. They'll know why you are upset as you scoop their poop, and you tell them what they did was wrong.

Dogs do the associative conditioning thing more than you realize. They knew when I grabbed my keys that I was going out, and they ran to the door when they heard me pick up the keys. They'd be disappointed when I went out without them, but the point is, they associate sounds with actions. Just keep it simple, and be patient and kind, and I'm sure your training will be effective. Repeat and rinse.

UGHHHH!

I came home from chuckee cheese, took him out to pee, praised him and gave him a treat when he did. Came inside started to make dinner with him by my side turned around and he peed in the dining room after i just took him out and watched him go. He is too cute to yell at but i told him no and cleaned it up.

As for max, i gave up a long time ago on training him. I am just happy if he stops sniffing other people's butts! It is a little embarrassing in public.

Archived