Jacob Bender

Greensince69

He's been getting reps on the second team line- sometimes the third string unit. I have liked what I have seen from him.

Here's a not so optimistic view from T-Rock's blog page.

Bender Breaking In

By Katie Strang

The hope of becoming the first Nicholls St. player to see action as a New York Jet was looking bleak for OL Jacob Bender today. Bender took about as many snaps during drills as brownies I had for lunch.

Although he looked strong off the snap and held his ground against the less-mobile defenders, Bender had difficulty sealing off the more agile linebackers.

Bender also has very limited pass protection experience since Nicholls St. ran a triple-option offense, but has been watching film to learn and has gotten tips from D

He's been getting reps on the second team line- sometimes the third string unit. I have liked what I have seen from him.

Here's a not so optimistic view from T-Rock's blog page.

Bender Breaking In

By Katie Strang

The hope of becoming the first Nicholls St. player to see action as a New York Jet was looking bleak for OL Jacob Bender today. Bender took about as many snaps during drills as brownies I had for lunch.

Although he looked strong off the snap and held his ground against the less-mobile defenders, Bender had difficulty sealing off the more agile linebackers.

Bender also has very limited pass protection experience since Nicholls St. ran a triple-option offense, but has been watching film to learn and has gotten tips from D’Brickashaw Ferguson about improving his technique.

This isn’t the first time Bender has been an underdog. Ironically enough, Hofstra University (where Jets mini-camp is held) had originally offered him a scholarship but ended up backing out, leading him to become a Colonel instead. He had an impressive college career there and is hoping he can stand out by being the ”hardest worker out there.”

True to his word, he was the last player on the field during first session today. He worked with NFL veteran Lomas Brown on pass sets for an extra 10-15 minutes after practice ended.

Nice Kid. Hell of a work ethic. And he has one other thing working in his favor: No mention of dogfighting yet.

Thanks, sounds like he is a project that may pay divedends in a year or 2. maybe a stint in europe after the practice squad this year.

small school to the NFL is a big jump in competition. he should be fine once he adjusts to the speed/size of the nfl. he has the tools to contribute in yrs 2+ but it would be foolish to expect much of anything this year. i like the fact that jones is learning OT/OG as a backup so hopefully we never have to see bender protecting chadwick this year.

He has done pretty well, and stepped in for Adrian Jones as the RT when he was put in the doghouse for part of the practice on Monday.

He has made a few mental mistakes, and ran at least 2 laps during the training camp sessions that I went to.

As a 6th round pick, he is a work in progress. He will be a backup in this league at the least, and should be good enough with his work ethic, to remain on the team.

Archived