Cheating?

strange_andy

Not sure why this would be considered cheating. Don't receiver gloves offer the same result? I'm sure it's illegal now, but uncertain.

Anyway here is the link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3049

3) STICKY FINGERS

Lester Hayes, a defensive back for the Raiders from 1977-1986, was infamous for putting Stickum on his hands so he could catch the ball more easily. "The sole focus of our team was to win consistently," said Hayes, who helped the Raiders win Super Bowls XV and XVIII. "Whether it was a mental or a physical advantage, we were going to do whatever was necessary to win. Our attitude was that if we could get away with something, we were going to do it."

68.7%Cheating

31.3%Gamesmanship

Stickum used to be legal. They outlawed it in the early 80's. Quite possibly because Lester Hayes used to coat himself with the crap so much that after a few minutes in the grass he'd look like a Chia Pet. When they first made it illegal I remember Largent pouring Coke on his hands so they'd get sticky. IMO, it's no advantage over the gloves, but it made the game a whole lot messier.

Anybody remember "tear away" jerseys? There was one season that it seemed every week one of the Cleveland Pruitts, (was it Mike or Greg?) would score a shirtless td.

Stickum used to be legal. They outlawed it in the early 80's. Quite possibly because Lester Hayes used to coat himself with the crap so much that after a few minutes in the grass he'd look like a Chia Pet. When they first made it illegal I remember Largent pouring Coke on his hands so they'd get sticky. IMO, it's no advantage over the gloves, but it made the game a whole lot messier.

Anybody remember "tear away" jerseys? There was one season that it seemed every week one of the Cleveland Pruitts, (was it Mike or Greg?) would score a shirtless td.

Earl Campbell had the tear away too, which made it practically impossible to bring him down.

I think one of the reasons "stick-um" was outlawed was because it was getting on the footballs & the QB's complained. I could be wrong...

Archived