Jets day at camp- OL Jacob Bender

Kentucky Jet

Jets day at camp

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

BY M.A. MEHTA

Star-Ledger Staff

PLAYER PROFILE

OL JACOB BENDER

Jacob Bender isn't a narcissist, but he couldn't help but stare at himself the other day.

"It's like a dream come true to watch myself on film in a Jets uniform," Bender said without a trace of arrogance after practice at Hofstra yesterday. "It's just crazy."

Plucked from Division 2 Nicholls State in Louisiana, the 6-6, 315-pound rookie offensive lineman sounds like an overgrown kid at his own personal fantasy camp. Bender, the Jets' sixth-round selection (177th overall), should add some much desired depth along the line.

Bender, who grew up in Mayo, Md., just outside Washington, D.C., is listed as the third string left tackle on the team's unofficial depth chart, but he can also play the guard spot.

"It's been a great learning experience," Bender said of camp. "It was tough at first. They throw everything at you. You got to learn it quick. Then they throw you out there on the field going against (guys) that have been playing the game for a long time."

Thanks to some helpful hints from 10-year veteran Anthony Clement, the rookie has done well thus far. His early progress isn't a surprise for those who saw him in college. Bender dominated at Nicholls State en route to All-American and All-Southland Conference honors.

Despite his past success -- he didn't allow a sack as a senior -- he isn't taking anything for granted.

Right now, he has a single-minded purpose.

"I just want to make the team," he said. "Just work hard. After that, we'll see what happens."

WHO'S HOT

Justin McCareins, who had a pair of long TD catches, had the grab of the day when he leaped over CB Alphonso Hodge to snatch a deep Chad Pennington pass for a touchdown. ... On a day sprinkled with interceptions, DB James Ihedigbo picked off Kellen Clemens' pass intended for Frisman Jackson (who didn't turn around for the throw). ... Clemson rookie WR Chansi Stuckey continued to impress with another solid practice.

WHO'S NOT

CB Andre Dyson was left pointing and shaking his head after a blown coverage led to Pennington's TD pass to a wide-open Laveranues Coles. (Coles rubbed some salt in the wound with a nifty TD jig.) ... Clemens threw a pair of interceptions.

QUICK HITS

RB Leon Washington looked explosive on several cut-back runs. ... Brad Smith looked liked a season wideout, catching a TD pass from Pennington on a nice slant route.

INJURY REPORT

The usual suspects were relegated to stationary-bike duty: RB Thomas Jones (calf), FB Stacy Tutt (left ankle), CB Justin Miller (right hamstring), CB Drew Coleman (left knee), S Eric Smith (right hamstring) and TE Joe Kowalewski (right leg) did not practice.

DEPTH CHART

Quarterbacks Pennington and Clemens have the starter and backup jobs locked up, but the third spot may be up in the air. Multipurpose threat Brad Smith appears to have the inside track, but he has struggled with his consistency behind center in training camp. He rarely stands in the pocket and his first instinct is to run. Veteran Marques Tuiasosopo has had his moments and might get his chance against the Vikings on Friday.

I will predict right now. Forget all of this trick play QB spots, situational RB, special teams, etc. Brad Smith will someday be an outstanding WR in the NFL. The first time I saw him last year as a rookie in TC learning the WR position, I said to myself that he has "it".

Mark my words.

Archived