Cimini's rant 5-19-2024: Can Jets rookie Olu Fashanu become another 'Brick' in the wall?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40166175/new-york-jets-rookie-olu-fashanu-tyron-smith-left-tackle

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

Looking for Mr. Right

From 2006 to 2015, the Jets never had to worry about left tackle. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was there every season, every game, every snap. Remarkably, he never missed a snap in his career due to injury; the only time he left the field was on a gadget play at the end of the 2008 season.

Since Ferguson's retirement, the Jets have used 10 different starters at left tackle -- a revolving door of players ranging in age from 21 (Mekhi Becton, 2020) to 37 (Duane Brown, 2023). The Jets long for stability at the critical position, and their hope is that first-round pick Olu Fashanu can match Ferguson's longevity once he succeeds Tyron Smith.
It's unusual for a high draft pick to start his career on the bench, but the Jets chose Fashanu after signing Smith, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection with the Dallas Cowboys. Ferguson, for one, believes there's upside to easing the rookie into the lineup.

"The NFL has gotten to the place where they want immediate impact, but I think for people to learn what that transition is like to the league, it just benefits you," Ferguson told ESPN.

"I'm excited for a player like him," he added. "This is a ripe opportunity to grow in. Had the Jets not made so many moves, I think the expectation would've been even harder because now if he doesn't perform, they're going to look for other ways to make fixes. But I think they put him in a position to have success. I'm happy and excited to see where this goes."

Ferguson, 40, a member of the Jets' Ring of Honor, said he was rooting for New York to draft a tackle. When the team took Fashanu with the No. 11 pick, it brought back memories of the day he was selected fourth overall in 2006. He was a Day 1 starter and learned on the fly.

When he came out of Virginia, Ferguson was 6-foot-6, 310 pounds. Fashanu, from Penn State, is 6-foot-6, 312 pounds. Speaking from experience, Ferguson said Fashanu can rely on skill and technique early in his career, building strength and savvy over time.

Ferguson likes the new-look offensive line, noting the blend of youth and experience and calling Smith "an amazing player. I've always respected his game." Ferguson hopes Fashanu will have the same opportunity that was afforded him -- a chance to develop long-term chemistry with his linemates. Ferguson credited longtime teammates Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore with helping him succeed.

It's unfair to expect Fashanu to duplicate Ferguson's Iron Man streak. The league may never see something like that again. Asked about the team's long struggle to replace him, Ferguson said humbly, "I thought Kelvin Beachum did an amazing job (from 2017 to 2019). I think there have been a lot of guys when they played, they did what they could.

"I think the game continues to evolve and it puts a lot of pressure on these players to perform at a high level. We don't always know why things turn out the way they do. It wasn't until the end of my career where I realized, 'Hey, I've been playing this long and this consistently.' To me, that's what we were supposed to do."

The New York Jets hope Olu Fashanu can develop into their left tackle of the future. Olu Fashanu

Taxing start

The Jets can't be thrilled with the early part of their schedule. They open with three games in 10 days: road dates against the San Francisco 49ers (Sept. 9) and Tennessee Titans (Sept. 15), followed by the New England Patriots (Sept. 19) in a Thursday night home opener.

It's a legitimate concern, especially with a 40-year-old quarterback coming off a major injury. Aaron Rodgers hasn't played a full game since Jan. 8, 2023. By opening day, it'll be a 20-month layoff.

Mike North, the NFL's vice president for broadcast planning, said the Jets are among six teams with a three-game/10-day stretch during the season. He said the league tinkered with other scenarios, ultimately justifying the Jets' start because the level of competition isn't outrageous.

"Obviously, the three games in 10 days is a challenge," he said, "but it didn't feel like a gauntlet of three teams that made deep playoff runs last year." He was including their Week 4 opponent, the Denver Broncos, in that sentiment.

Quirks in the schedule

The Jets have the ninth-best rest differential at +5 days, meaning they have five more rest days than their opponents. They also have no games against teams coming off a bye week. On the downside, they have four short weeks, tied for the second-most.

Familiar faces

Though not likely, it's conceivable that the Jets could face five of their former quarterbacks in 2024 -- Sam Darnold (Minnesota Vikings), Geno Smith (Seattle Seahawks), Zach Wilson (Broncos), Joe Flacco (Indianapolis Colts) and Mike White (Miami Dolphins). Darnold and Smith are the only current starters.

For a team that has struggled so much with quarterback play, the Jets have a lot of former ones still in the league.

Rare finale

The Jets close the season at MetLife Stadium for the first time since 2016. That was so long ago that only eight of the 91 players on the current roster were in the NFL at that time.

Rodgers & Co.

Phase three of the offseason begins Monday, which means the start of OTA practices (Tuesday is the first open practice). Naturally, the top storyline is the return of Rodgers, who is eight months removed from Achilles surgery and has "no restrictions," coach Robert Saleh said.

While Rodgers and his new, high-profile teammates will grab the headlines, there are a handful of young veterans that will garner the attention of the coaching staff. We're talking about developing players expected to take big steps in 2024, most notably center Joe Tippmann, tight end Jeremy Ruckert, running back Israel Abanikanda, defensive end Will McDonald IV and safety Tony Adams.

It's an important spring for them.

Keep an eye on

One player who has impressed is wide receiver Jason Brownlee, who was featured in "Hard Knocks" last summer and made the team as an undrafted rookie. He could be a surprise in the receiving corps.

Fine-tuning

One of the biggest college-to-pro transitions for any wide receiver is learning how to become a precise route runner. This is a particularly important area for third-round pick Malachi Corley.

What to know for the 2024 NFL offseason

At Western Kentucky last season, Corley made 43 of his 79 receptions on screen passes, according to ESPN Stats & Information data. In other words, he got the ball a lot on "manufactured touches." On other routes, he sometimes relied on instinct, not precision, to get open.

"Malachi is one of those guys like, 'Yeah, I hear you, but I see the void in the coverage and I'm going to go there right now and y'all are going to throw me the football,'" Western Kentucky head coach Tyson Helton told ESPN.

It worked brilliantly on the college level. In the NFL, he will have to drill down on "the finer details of route running," according to Helton.

Smaller staff

The Jets streamlined their coaching staff. In 2023, Saleh had 24 assistants. Now he's down to 20. The biggest changes:

They no longer have a quarterbacks coach after moving on from Rob Calabrese; those duties will be inherited by passing-game coordinator Todd Downing. Special teams assistant Mike Ghobrial wasn't replaced after leaving to become the Giants' special teams coordinator. Leon Washington, the No. 2 special teams assistant, didn't have his contract renewed. Dan Shamash, the game-management coordinator in 2023, now has the added responsibility of special teams assistant.

Cap update

Six of the seven draft picks are under contract (Corley is the only unsigned pick) and the Jets still have $6.4 million in cap room, per Over the Cap.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Dbrick was 310lbs out of college?? Hahahahahaa. The guy was 290lbs soaking wet and got ragdolled throughout his rookie year. Year 2 wasn’t much better. I’m expecting a hell of a lot better out of Olu in his first 2 years. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Keep an eye on

One player who has impressed is wide receiver Jason Brownlee, who was featured in "Hard Knocks" last summer and made the team as an undrafted rookie. He could be a surprise in the receiving corps.

This is something I will definitely keep an eye on.  Even in last year's Hard Knocks, I thought he very much "looked the part" of an NFL WR.  There's a certain "smoothness" to his game.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Damn, is it really? Yep, this is going to hurt. 

The NFL scheduling is a joke.  I don't want to start another conspiracy theory, but the NFL knows we have a 40-year old QB coming off a major injury, besides the fact that three games in 10 days is excessive for any team.   

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The NFL scheduling is a joke.  I don't want to start another conspiracy theory, but the NFL knows we have a 40-year old QB coming off a major injury, besides the fact that three games in 10 days is excessive for any team.   

Yea you do, you know you want it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Football is a dangerous sport and regardless of scheduling from last years win/loss records, the fact that you are exposing teams to injuries is totally irresponsible from the NFL.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Dbrick was 310lbs out of college?? Hahahahahaa. The guy was 290lbs soaking wet and got ragdolled throughout his rookie year. Year 2 wasn’t much better. I’m expecting a hell of a lot better out of Olu in his first 2 years. 

My recollection was the same, but Mockdraftable had him at 312 lbs at the combine.   Basically exactly the same as Fashanu.  Their measurements were similar-Brick’s arms were longer at 35.5, and Brick was faster in the 40.  

I think if you look at pictures of Brick and Fashanu from mini-camp, Fashanu will look bigger/stronger.  Maybe Brick drank a lot of water for his combine weigh-in.  But I don’t exactly understand this. 

If your going to have 3 games in 10 days might as well do it early when they're still fresh. 

When they're 3-0 or 2-1 the extra rest after the Thursday night game will be great. 

Pats have 3 games in 11 days and they have to travel negating that extra day.  I don't hear them crying. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

My recollection was the same, but Mockdraftable had him at 312 lbs at the combine.   Basically exactly the same as Fashanu.  Their measurements were similar-Brick’s arms were longer at 35.5, and Brick was faster in the 40.  

I think if you look at pictures of Brick and Fashanu from mini-camp, Fashanu will look bigger/stronger.  Maybe Brick drank a lot of water for his combine weigh-in.  But I don’t exactly understand this. 

I googled it. Apparently Dbrick lost 10 lbs after his combine weigh in, going into his proday. hahah some nice protein shake water weight for that combine weigh in.....

Dude was a jumbo tight end in his rookie year. He was terrible. 

Olu, just looking at him on the couch when he got drafted, is definitely a legit 300+ lb guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

If your going to have 3 games in 10 days might as well do it early when they're still fresh. 

When they're 3-0 or 2-1 the extra rest after the Thursday night game will be great. 

Pats have 3 games in 11 days and they have to travel negating that extra day.  I don't hear them crying. 

Not sure how you figure 3-0 or 2-1 after 3 games, Coach bobby says we are already 1-0 in 2024

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

Football is a dangerous sport and regardless of scheduling from last years win/loss records, the fact that you are exposing teams to injuries is totally irresponsible from the NFL.

No argument there. Three games in 10 days is insanity.

• Upvote 1

Three games in ten days isn't that different from three games in eleven days which is what every team that plays on Thursday has to do.

At least we're home on Thursday which is the biggest competitive advantage in the NFL. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Barton said:

I googled it. Apparently Dbrick lost 10 lbs after his combine weigh in, going into his proday. hahah some nice protein shake water weight for that combine weigh in.....

Dude was a jumbo tight end in his rookie year. He was terrible. 

Olu, just looking at him on the couch when he got drafted, is definitely a legit 300+ lb guy. 

Dbrick was MAYBE 290 pounds on opening day when Bruce Smith ate his lunch.    My guess is that old school training camp, rookie learning to take care of yourself, etc. ran him down.   He looked and played very skinny. 

By year 2-3 he had filled out and played much better.   He played at a real 300+ lbs after that. 

My personal opinion is that Woody made the Fashanu pick.  Brick was his favorite player.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Bronx said:

I agree the schedule makers did us no favors — especially over the first half of the season. But make no mistake — the NFL is NOT wanting to sabotage the Jets this year. They put them on prime time 6 times — they are hoping the Jets are winning and staying relevant.

22 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I agree the schedule makers did us no favors — especially over the first half of the season. But make no mistake — the NFL is NOT wanting to sabotage the Jets this year. They put them on prime time 6 times — they are hoping the Jets are winning and staying relevant.

Not only that - but also 3 games in 10 days isn't just a Jets problem. In fact... 

I'm guessing this is a function of the NFL maxing out 

1) the amount of non sunday games

2) giving more prime time games to the best/most interesting teams

Its obviously brutal - but if we're going to have it - I'd rather do it early than late. Ravens have it for the last three weeks in December and play the Steelers and Texans for the 2nd and third games....

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

First off... Brick took three seasons before he stated playing well.  The turning point was the arrival of Alan Faneca.  It was clear that he helped Brick improve.  Well known that Faneca was very much a leader, teacher an team guy.  He was at the end of his career when he get to the Jets, but his time with them was very valuable as an "playing coach".  Brick and Mangold attested to that.  So... It was not an instant honeymoon with brick.  Some fans were even calling him a bust his first two years.  And, even when Brick improved to be one of the best pass blocking LT's in the league, he was not a good run blocker.  The entire Jets play book of running plays went to the right.  Most holes going between Brandon Moore and Woody and a good deal around Woody and some between Mangold and Moore.  Few if any holes between Brick and Faneca.  You always saw Faneca pull to the right.  Never saw anything go around Brick.

From what I have seen Fashanu will be more pro ready than Brick was.  Fashanu will also be a better run blocker.  

Question is... Will Fashanu have Brick's durability/consistency ??????????

Much appreciation for Faneca and thanks for bringing his name. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

First off... Brick took three seasons before he stated playing well.  The turning point was the arrival of Alan Faneca.  It was clear that he helped Brick improve.  Well known that Faneca was very much a leader, teacher an team guy.  He was at the end of his career when he get to the Jets, but his time with them was very valuable as an "playing coach".  Brick and Mangold attested to that.  So... It was not an instant honeymoon with brick.  Some fans were even calling him a bust his first two years.  And, even when Brick improved to be one of the best pass blocking LT's in the league, he was not a good run blocker.  The entire Jets play book of running plays went to the right.  Most holes going between Brandon Moore and Woody and a good deal around Woody and some between Mangold and Moore.  Few if any holes between Brick and Faneca.  You always saw Faneca pull to the right.  Never saw anything go around Brick.

From what I have seen Fashanu will be more pro ready than Brick was.  Fashanu will also be a better run blocker.  

Question is... Will Fashanu have Brick's durability/consistency ??????????

On 5/19/2024 at 11:03 AM, Barton said:

Meh, LT aint easy to play.  Lots of guys struggle early on and develop into better players and/or get better as the talent does around them.  Who was next to DBrick his first 2 years? Adriene Clark?    Outside of QB; LT, pass rusher, CB - probably the hardest positions to be "pro ready"

Good thing w/ Olu because he's not nearly as experienced as DBrick, is he wont be asked to start this season unless necessary.  He's not perfect, very flawed, there is a reason he was 3rd T taken, not the the first and taken at 10 and not a top 4 draft pick, like DBrick.  DBrick started 49 games in college, Olu played 20.  That is a massive difference and it doesnt help, Olu was IR'd his Jr year and DBrick was never injured.  

I'm hoping that Olu has a DBrick like run here, but the only thing Olu has on DBrick is size. 

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Much appreciation for Faneca and thanks for bringing his name. 

To build off this comment, Tyron Smith is very much a leader in the Faneca mold 

Olu especially but also avt and T-i-p-p-y can all learn from being around Tyron Smith 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Meh, LT aint easy to play.  Lots of guys struggle early on and develop into better players and/or get better as the talent does around them.  Who was next to DBrick his first 2 years? Adriene Clark?    Outside of QB; LT, pass rusher, CB - probably the hardest positions to be "pro ready"

Good thing w/ Olu because he's not nearly as experienced as DBrick, is he wont be asked to start this season unless necessary.  He's not perfect, very flawed, there is a reason he was 3rd T taken, not the the first and taken at 10 and not a top 4 draft pick, like DBrick.  DBrick started 49 games in college, Olu played 20.  That is a massive difference and it doesnt help, Olu was IR'd his Jr year and DBrick was never injured.  

I'm hoping that Olu has a DBrick like run here, but the only thing Olu has on DBrick is size. 

Good point brining up Adriene Clark.  However, in Bricks first season, he was next to Pete Kendall who was a solid LG and made all the line calls.  Bricks first season was obviously, his most challenging.  The initial struggles/mistakes that we saw continued when Kendall left, but they cant be blamed wholesale on Adriene Clark.

And, yes... Fahanu has more heft than Bric did.  Along with that, he's got more leverage pushing forward which is always helpful in the run game.  

As you point out, Fashanu will have the luxury of learning behind Tyron, but for how long ??? Going by the historic numbers, there is a 100 % chance that Fashanu will be in the starting lineup this year.

Most of all I am with you 100 % on being very happy if Fashanu has the same quality career as Brick did even if Fashanu takes time learning if needed. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2024 at 11:28 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is something I will definitely keep an eye on.  Even in last year's Hard Knocks, I thought he very much "looked the part" of an NFL WR.  There's a certain "smoothness" to his game.  

Im still waiting for these "keep an eye on" guys to actually turn into something. Wasn't last year Irv Charles?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Not only that - but also 3 games in 10 days isn't just a Jets problem. In fact... 

I'm guessing this is a function of the NFL maxing out 

1) the amount of non sunday games

2) giving more prime time games to the best/most interesting teams

Its obviously brutal - but if we're going to have it - I'd rather do it early than late. Ravens have it for the last three weeks in December and play the Steelers and Texans for the 2nd and third games....

Yep - Week 1, they'll be fresh obviously. Having it in the middle or end of the season is way different then starting like that.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Im still waiting for these "keep an eye on" guys to actually turn into something. Wasn't last year Irv Charles?

Irv Charles was good on STs!   :)