Sports Illustrated talks about Kellen Clemens

Kentucky Jet

Kellen Clemens is the next Matt Schaub.

Thu Aug-23-07 07:56 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/08/23/qb.look/1.html

Clemens has quietly created a positive buzz in New York. He opened the preseason with an outstanding performance versus the Falcons (16 of 22 for 179 yards with three touchdowns) and followed it up with a solid outing versus the Vikings (6 of 9 for 56 yards with one touchdown and one interception). His performances become more noteworthy when compared to the struggles of starter Chad Pennington.

Clemens has shown better arm strength, touch and accuracy than Pennington during the preseason and the Jets' offense has clicked with him at the helm. While Clemens is unlikely to unseat Pennington as the starter this year, his outstanding start to the preseason has raised his profile. Matt Schaub was the most recent backup quarterback to parlay successful preseason performances into a starting job, and Clemens could be next.

Thu Aug-23-07 07:56 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/08/23/qb.look/1.html

Clemens has quietly created a positive buzz in New York. He opened the preseason with an outstanding performance versus the Falcons (16 of 22 for 179 yards with three touchdowns) and followed it up with a solid outing versus the Vikings (6 of 9 for 56 yards with one touchdown and one interception). His performances become more noteworthy when compared to the struggles of starter Chad Pennington.

Clemens has shown better arm strength, touch and accuracy than Pennington during the preseason and the Jets' offense has clicked with him at the helm. While Clemens is unlikely to unseat Pennington as the starter this year, his outstanding start to the preseason has raised his profile. Matt Schaub was the most recent backup quarterback to parlay successful preseason performances into a starting job, and Clemens could be next.

seems erily similar to bledsoe brady exchange. If the CS has enough faith in Kellen after the year, it may be time to make the switch. We could still get quite a bit for a guy with Chad's experience, say what you will about his arm.

So now beating up the third stringers is cause for celebration? Too bad in the real games they won't let us do that.

a QB must make plays no matter who he is facing! Chad didn't when he was in Kellen's shoes. Remember HERM saying" Chad thinks too much . If he is to become a great QB, he has to stop it and react! He is looking a bit robotic these days at times. Still is our starter as Kellen does not have enough experience.

I remember that on draft day Ron Jaworski was TOTALLY ga ga over Clemens. He thought that he was the best QB in the ENTIRE draft. I thought that was pretty cool coming from a very good ex QB who watches a lot of game film! (Edge NFL Match up-ESPN)

I remember that on draft day Ron Jaworski was TOTALLY ga ga over Clemens. He thought that he was the best QB in the ENTIRE draft. I thought that was pretty cool coming from a very good ex QB who watches a lot of game film! (Edge NFL Match up-ESPN)

he's sort of an idiot though, i heard the same comment and almost wished he had said it about someone else. i really hope kellen is the real deal, it would be nice to go into games knowing we have a bright, AND a strong armed QB.

Archived