Jets News articles- Fri. Aug 24, 2007

Kentucky Jet

JETS OFF GUARD

KENDALL TRADED TO REDSKINS

By LENN ROBBINS

PETE KENDALLAugust 24, 2007 -- The Jets went on a Bender yesterday and it might be next season before they recover from trading veteran guard Pete Kendall to the Redskins for a future conditional draft pick.

If the season were to open today, Jacob Bender, a sixth-round draft pick from Division I-AA Nicholls State, probably would start at left guard, which puts him on quarterback Chad Pennington's blind side.

Bender has the size (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) and potential to develop into a quality NFL guard, but right now he's an inexperienced rookie who played at a school that basically ran the option.

"This whole NFL thing has always been a crazy dream," Bender said.

Fortunately Pennington wasn't in earshot to hear likable Bender gush about his crazy dream. What must concern Pennington, and every fan wearing green and white, is whether Bender can stop the pass rush.

"I think if they thought our guys couldn't do it, they're not going to put someone is harm's way," said Pennington. "That would be my hope and I have full faith and confidence that things are going to work out."

Kendall asked the Jets to redo his contract and bump the $1.7 million he was to earn this season to $2.7 million. The Jets didn't budge and a bitter public rift developed that included Kendall recently accusing the Jets of being unprofessional in their dealings.

"I regret the situation came to be in the first place," Kendall said on a conference call from Washington. "I've heard Eric's [Mangini] comments and I probably should echo those. This is the business side. This is the distasteful side. I'm sorry it had to come to this."

To the Jets' credit, they managed to get from Washington either a fifth-round pick in the 2008 NFL draft or a possibly a fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft for a soon-to-be 34-year-old guard. But that doesn't help the Jets, a team with serious playoff aspirations, in 2007.

Bender said that until he was drafted, he really didn't know how to pass block at an elite level. A lot of what he's learned was passed on from Kendall, who signed with the Jets in August 2004 as a free agent.

By last season, Kendall was the undisputed leader and teacher of a Jets line that had two rookies, tackle D'Brickshaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, starting.

"There are a lot of situations where rookies have played and done a really good job, so I don't think that's unique to the Jets," Mangini said.

Yes, but those rookies were first-round draft picks from Division I-A schools. Ferguson played at Virginia and Mangold anchored a national championship line at Ohio State.

Bender will get plenty of action tomorrow night when the Jets face the Giants in their third preseason game. Adrien Clarke, a third-year player out of Ohio State, had been working with the first team until he turned in a poor performance against the Vikings on Friday.

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

FOR PETE'S SAKE, THIS WAS A REAL DUMB DEAL August 24, 2007 -- THE calamitous summer-long Pete Kendall saga has come to a close. Good for the Jets, who feel like they've rid themselves of a distraction.

The Jets, who traded Kendall to the Redskins for a conditional draft pick (either a 2009 fourth- or fifth-rounder), feel like winners over the outcome. But by dealing away Kendall, have the Jets really made their team better?

Absolutely not.

Kendall was clearly the best left guard the Jets had on their roster, perhaps their best guard, period. Management's treatment of Kendall, who was embroiled in a nasty contract dispute, went well over the line, becoming personal and vindictive.

The trade has left the Jets without a proven starter on the roster to replace Kendall a mere two weeks from the season opener. One of the truest adages in football is that teams should not mess with their offensive line. It's the one unit that most demands continuity and chemistry. By unloading Kendall, the Jets dealt a blow to both the continuity and chemistry of their line.

Kendall, who was seeking a $1 million raise to bring his salary to a reasonable $2.7 million (which he's now getting from the Redskins), made a rather rapid transition from his status last season as a solid, selfless veteran who was instrumental in tutoring first-round draft picks, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, to a team cancer this summer.

Adrien Clarke, the journeyman with four NFL starts who was inserted ahead of Kendall for the first part of training camp, already has been demoted. Now the Jets have rookie sixth-round draft pick Jacob Bender, from Division I-AA Nicholls State, slated to start at left guard against the Giants tomorrow night.

Does that sound like they've bettered themselves for their Sept. 9 season opener against the Patriots?

"We've played rookies here on the offensive line in the past and [they] have played and done a really good job," Eric Mangini said.

No offense to Bender, but those rookies Mangini referred to were first-round picks from major college programs.

As for the Jets' stance about not renegotiating contracts, watch in the coming days while they renegotiate right guard Brandon Moore's contract, making them look like hypocrites. Moore, like Kendall, is underpaid. After a summer of toying with Kendall's psyche by demoting him and making him play center, a position he detests, the Jets' spin yesterday was predictably positive.

"I think everybody who was involved has benefited from it, so I thought that it was a really positive thing for each party," Mangini said.

Really?

Kendall, a locker-room leader, never wanted to leave the Jets. He was, in fact, very emotional Wednesday night when he met with GM Mike Tannenbaum after the trade was consummated.

It remains to be seen how this will prove to be positive for the Jets, who must now worry about protecting Chad Pennington, their injury-prone franchise quarterback, possibly with an untested rookie starting at left guard.

Bender had better turn out to be, at the very least, an adequate starting guard or Jets management will have some serious 'splaining to do. If the Jets end up missing Kendall, which is a pretty good possibility, they'll be left to wonder whether it was worth saving that $1 million to make a point.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

JETS

Jets notebook

Friday, August 24, 2007

Farewell to Kendall

Several Jets' players expressed sadness Thursday that Pete Kendall had been traded to Washington, but happiness for him.

"I just hope things work out for him," Chad Pennington said, "and he's able to play well and be in a good situation. ... Pete did an excellent job last year."

"I hope it's a happy day for Pete," right guard Brandon Moore said. "I assume he got what he wanted and he's going to a good team and I think both parties are happy, at least I hope so. ... I took a lot of things from him, just watching him go about his business and being a pro."

Kendall helped mentor then-rookies Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson on the offensive line last season.

"Pete was a great teacher to me, a great mentor," Mangold said, "and it will be tough not to talk to him. ... One of the greatest things about Pete is that he is a teacher and he helps with a whole bunch of guys."

Briefs

Cornerbacks Andre Dyson (leg) and Justin Miller (hamstring) both practiced on a limited basis, although Miller seems to be closer to returning. ... As usual, coach Eric Mangini declined to comment on his quarterback rotation for the upcoming preseason game. Pennington likely will see his longest stint of the preseason against the Giants on Saturday.

-- J.P. Pelzman

JETS

Jets leave guard spot open

Friday, August 24, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Mike Tannenbaum mentioned four players on the current Jets' roster who are in the running to replace Pete Kendall. He didn't mention how many career starts they've combined for at left guard.

That number is four, all by Adrien Clarke with Philadelphia in 2005.

Wade Smith, Adrian Jones and rookie Jacob Bender have never started at guard in the NFL, although Smith has 18 starts at tackle and Jones has 16.

Those are the left guard candidates for the Jets after they traded Pete Kendall to the Redskins for what is believed to be a fourth-round pick in 2009 or a fifth-round pick in 2008. The Jets will get the fourth-round choice if Kendall plays a certain number of snaps for Washington this season.

Kendall was unhappy with his contract with the Jets, for which he was scheduled to make $1.7 million this season. He wanted a $1 million raise after taking a pay cut following a sub-par 2005 season, and believed he had a handshake agreement for that raise. He also said numerous times that Tannenbaum, the general manager, had told him his request was "not unreasonable."

GREEN MACHINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets.

Visit the blog

Listen to The Record SportsCast

But the Jets refused to budge and the situation quickly turned ugly.

Kendall refused to participate in voluntary workouts during the spring, although he didn't miss any days of mandatory minicamp or training camp. However, he criticized the organization numerous times and made it clear he wanted to be traded or released. He also indicated recently that he wouldn't take pain-killing injections if he needed them to play, implying he wouldn't play hurt for the Jets because he no longer believed in the organization.

"I think the situation didn't necessarily play out like anybody wanted to," Kendall said in a conference call after passing the Redskins' physical, "but it's resolved and that's positive and we'll all go forward."

"I know we acted in good faith," Tannenbaum said. "Obviously there was a miscommunication, a misunderstanding. That's apparent. ... This was the right decision for the franchise, short-term and long-term."

"I think it's going to work out for everybody," Kendall added.

That remains to be seen. Kendall, who signed a new two-year contract with Washington, likely will step in as a starter at left guard for the Redskins, who had struggled to fill the void left when Derrick Dockery departed via free agency. As for the Jets, Clarke began training camp as the starter, but apparently was demoted after a shaky performance against Minnesota last week.

Bender, a sixth-round draft pick from Nicholls State, has gotten most of the first-team snaps this week in practice. Bender was a shutdown left tackle in college, and didn't allow a sack in his senior season. The Jets are confident he can make the transition to guard, and he likely will be the starter against the Giants on Saturday.

"At guard, things just happen quicker," Bender said.

"You've got to take shorter movements, whereas at tackle you have a little bit more time for things to develop. I feel blessed to have this opportunity and I'm just going to keep working. I'm going to work my hardest and do what I can."

Second-year left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and the left guard will be responsible for protecting Chad Pennington's blind side. Pennington said he's not worried.

"If [the Jets' management] thought our guys couldn't do it, they wouldn't put someone in harm's way," he said. "That's my hope. ... I have confidence that it will work out."

Teams must trim their rosters to 75 players by Tuesday and to 53 by Sept. 1, so don't be surprised if the Jets are actively scanning the waiver wire or looking for a potential trade for a more experienced guard.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendall is Skin off Jets' back

BY ROGER RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 24th 2007, 4:00 AM

Print Email Suggest a Story

The Jets finally ridded themselves of disgruntled guard Pete Kendall, shipping him to the Redskins for a conditional fifth-round draft choice.

Jets' GM Mike Tannenbaum, who would not renegotiate Kendall's contract, can now wash his hands of the distraction.

Kendall TradeDo you think the Jets got fair value for Pete Kendall?

Yes

No

Read Rich Cimini's The Jets Stream

Chad Pennington says he isn't worried about the Jets' offensive line. He has to believe that the team wouldn't have traded veteran left guard Pete Kendall to the Redskins unless it was convinced the protection wouldn't suffer.

"If they thought our guys couldn't do it, they're not going to put someone in harm's way," he said after practice yesterday. "That would be my hope."

The Jets yesterday put the final touches on a deal that will send Kendall, their disgruntled veteran guard, to Washington in exchange for a conditional draft pick. That pick will be the Redskins' fifth-round selection in 2008, although it could become a fourth-round pick in 2009 if Kendall plays 80% of the snaps this season.

The deal also puts a cap on a bitter - and at times petty - public feud that has loomed over the Jets for nearly three months. In June, Kendall first went public with an allegation that the Jets had reneged on a promise to bump his $1.7 million salary for 2007 to $2.7 million. Kendall was initially assigned to the rookie dorm when training camp opened and was ordered to play out of position at times. Most days he vented to the media about his requests to have his deal renegotiated, or to be traded or cut, and about the Jets' handling of the matter.

"When you're in the middle of the situation, it's easy to take it personally," Kendall said yesterday. "The situation didn't play out like anyone wanted it to, but it's resolved.

"When you're asked the question, 'Are you unhappy about your contract?' it's hard to fudge. The answer was no."

He should be happier now: Kendall and the Redskins already have agreed to a two-year deal that pays him the $2.7 million he wanted this season and $2.3 million in 2008.

GM Mike Tannenbaum claimed the acrimony did not force the trade, but it may have enticed teams to express interest. "We didn't react to anything he did," he said.

Players said yesterday that the front office's decision sent a clear message that no player has leverage and it will not be bullied. "The tone has pretty much been set with everyone," said Laveranues Coles, in his sixth season with the Jets over two stints since 2000. "Nobody here is etched in stone. At any given time any guy can be gone.

"It's a whole new front office and ... if they feel like dealing with you, they deal with you. If they don't want to deal with you, they get you out of here."

Kendall would have counted $2.9 million against the Jets' salary cap this season, but because of the trade, he ends up being a $3.5 million cap hit.

"We are really comfortable with the trade and the value we got in the trade," Eric Mangini said.

"If not for the value (Washington offered)," Tannenbaum said, "he was going to still be here."

Kendall met with Mangini and Tannenbaum late Wednesday night, as the deal was nearing completion, and expressed regret that the dispute had come to this. By yesterday morning the trade's details had been worked out, and Kendall spoke with Washington coach Joe Gibbs. He drove to the Redskins' training facility in Virginia and passed a physical in the afternoon.

Rookie Jacob Bender, a sixth-round pick out of Nicholls State, appears the favorite to replace Kendall, but the Jets have not ruled out bringing someone else in before the season opener.

"We're committed through Sept.8 to improving this roster," Tannenbaum said.

Jets deal unhappy Kendall to Redskins

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 24, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - After two months of bashing the Jets, Pete Kendall's last words on the organization that traded him yesterday were conciliatory.

"The hard feelings are gone, the situation is settled," the new Redskins left guard said last night. "I'm going to look back at my three years in New York and think about all the good things that went on there. I'm not going to let a contract dispute tarnish my time up there with my teammates."

The Jets finally dealt the disgruntled Kendall to the Redskins for either a fifth-round pick in 2008 or a fourth-rounder in 2009. Kendall had demanded to be traded or released during the June minicamp after the Jets refused to renegotiate his contract and add $1 million to his $1.7 million salary.

The Jets will host Washington on Nov. 4.

"We know our side of the story and we feel comfortable with it," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "The easy way for us was we could have just moved on Pete in mini-camp. We didn't do that. Only when we felt like we got good value for the Jets was when we made the decision to do that."

But while the Jets rid themselves of a preseason distraction, they created a hole in their offensive line. Ex-Eagle Adrien Clarke was unable to remain with the first team - he had a bad holding call in last Friday's 37-20 preseason loss to the Vikings - after essentially being handed Kendall's spot from the start of training camp.

And 6-foot-6, 315-pound rookie Jacob Bender was primarily a tackle at Division I-AA Nicholls State, which ran a run-heavy triple-option offense. The sixth-round pick was mainly at right tackle earlier in training camp.

Tannenbaum acknowledged that the Jets' starting left guard for Week 1 against the Patriots might not be on the roster yet.

"Through Sept. 8, we'll work tirelessly to add good players," Tannenbaum said. "It could be other positions, it could be the offensive line. Where they come from right now, it's hard to say."

Tannenbaum cited long-term salary-cap considerations when discussing the decision not to re-do Kendall's contract.

The 12-year NFL veteran got a new two-year deal from the Redskins worth $5 million. He'll receive $2.7 million this season, of which $1.5 million is guaranteed.

"I regret that the situation came to be in the first place," Kendall said. "What's gone on in the last couple of months in no way changes my opinion of the organization, my teammates or the fans."

Still, wide receiver Laveranues Coles said losing the team's union player representative, as well as one of last year's captains would be "a great loss." Coles, an ex-Redskin, said Kendall would enjoy playing in Washington because it was a "player-first organization."

And Kendall's departure might bring good news for right guard Brandon Moore, who earlier this month was absent from camp for a day and later acknowledged he wasn't happy with his $1 million contract for this season.

There are rumblings Tannenbaum has had preliminary talks with Moore's agent, and re-doing his deal might be easier without worrying about Kendall's reaction.

"I'm not really, truly focused on that right now, my agent handles that," Moore said. "I'm preparing for the Giants."

But of immediate concern is protecting quarterback Chad Pennington's blindside.

"I would hope that every decision made within our organization, our administration takes everything into account," Pennington said. "I hope they do and I think they do. If they thought our guys couldn't do it, they wouldn't put someone in harm's way. I have full faith and confidence that things are going to work out."

Rookie Bender moves up to starter against Giants

Friday, August 24, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets rookie starting left guard Jacob Bender, a sixth-round pick out of Division I-AA Nicholls State as a left tackle, got the stamp of approval from none other than Pete Kendall himself.

Bender, 6-6, 315 pounds, played left tackle in a triple-option offense and his pass-blocking could become an issue.

Advertisement

"Jacob is a big kid," Kendall said yesterday on a conference call. "He's quick off the ball. He has a good upside. He's strong. He has a chance to be a good one."

While the Jets got rid of a malcontent in Kendall, the quality of their offensive line took a hit.

Bender, who moved to guard after the first preseason game, will start against the Giants on Saturday night. If he implodes, the Jets will likely turn to third-year pro Adrien Clarke, who has played in only 13 career games, four as a starter, with the Eagles. He sat out last season with a back injury and was signed as a free agent. He started the first two preseason games.

The Jets are also keeping an eye on the waiver wire.

With Kendall, the Jets would've returned their entire starting offensive line from last season.

"I'm just thankful for this opportunity and I'm going to keep working," Bender said. "I've been working hard on my pass-blocking as well as everything else in trying to become a good NFL player.

"It doesn't matter what competition you played against. If you're in the NFL, you're in the NFL. Somebody obviously thought you were good enough to make it here. ... I'm just going to go out there and give it my all."

Quarterback Chad Pennington, who has a history of injuries, was asked if he's concerned about Bender's pass-blocking.

"If they (coaches) thought our guys couldn't do it, they're not going to put someone in harm's way," he said. "That would be my hope."

The Jets' hope is that lightning will strike twice along the offensive line. Last season, it was rookies Nick Mangold (center) and D'Brickashaw Ferguson (left tackle), both first-round picks. This season, they think it's Bender.

"We've played rookies here on the offensive line in the past," said Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "It's not unique to my experiences, and I feel very comfortable with the depth that we have between Adrien, Jacob and (veteran) Wade Smith."

Good Riddance Kendall!

Posted by Bob Bullock August 23, 2007 9:27PM

Categories: Player news

It finally happened today, as the Jets got rid of "Cry Baby" Pete Kendall, trading him for a fifth-round draft pick in 2008 that actually could become a fourth-round pick in 2009 if Kendall plays a certain amount.

What a steal for GM Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets, they dump a disrespectful player who mouths off for what could be a fourth-round pick. Heck, even a fifth-round pick was worth it. They got rid of a cancer they were only going to have to cut eventually anyway. There was no way this guy was going to start for the team anymore, he ended that chance with his mouth.

The Jets' brass never once said a bad thing about Kendall in the press, no matter how many times the jerk opened his mouth and ripped the organization. Even today, Tannenbaum had nothing bad to say about the big cry baby himself.

"It wasn't about his comments," said Tannenbaum, "it was about what was in the best interest of the New York Jets."

Which is the only thing that really matters in the end. The best interest of the team was to rid itself of this player that obviously wasn't going to help this team and could only hurt them down the road.

Now, with that ridiculous situation out of the way, the left guard spot is a wide-open battle. At the moment it is between Jacob Bender and Adrien Clarke, but don't rule out the Jets picking up a starting guard when the rosters start to be cut down next week.

| Permalink (Learn More)

Share: Reddit | Digg | del.icio.us | Google | Yahoo | What is this?

Bender gets chance with Kendall gone

Associated Press, Updated 9 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - The Jets finally traded disgruntled Pete Kendall, the incumbent at the position, to Washington on Thursday. Kendall's heir apparent, Adrien Clarke, had been taking snaps with the first-team offense until Sunday, when Bender surprisingly was thrust into the spot.

Jacob Bender spent last summer preparing for his senior season at Nicholls State, his thoughts of getting to the NFL someday merely a distant wish.

The big offensive lineman has made it - all the way from the Division I-AA school in Thibodaux, La., to the starting lineup of the New York Jets.

"The whole NFL thing has always been like a crazy dream and, finally, I'm here," Bender said Thursday.

He sure is, but not how he might have imagined.

The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Bender was one of the most dominant left tackles among small-college players, and seemed to be a nice fit as a backup to D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Anthony Clement when the Jets selected him in the sixth round in April.

Instead, Bender will likely be the Jets' starting left guard when New York plays the Giants on Saturday night.

"At guard, things just happen quicker," Bender said. "You've got to take shorter movements, whereas at tackle, you have a little bit more time for things to develop. That's really one of the main differences."

Bender, whose only scholarship offer out of high school came from Nicholls State, made a name for himself as a pancaking left tackle who allowed no sacks in his senior season. He's aware there are skeptics who may think a rookie who's still learning how to pass protect - Nicholls State mainly runs the triple option - isn't ready to be a full-time starter in the NFL.

"It doesn't matter what competition you've played against," Bender said. "When you're in the NFL, you're in the NFL. Somebody obviously thought you were good enough to make it here. I'm going to go out there and work my hardest and show everybody what I've got."

If he develops into anywhere close to the player Kendall is, the Jets will be lucky. Kendall was a leader on the field and in the locker room, and one of the most approachable players on the team.

"He was an important part of this ballclub," receiver Laveranues Coles said. "He was our player rep and anytime you have a guy that is a player rep and a leader in the locker room and he was a captain last year also, it's always a great loss. He's a guy the guys will miss."

Despite the tenuous situation Kendall was embroiled in, the veteran was still willing to help the young players - even one who would ultimately replace him.

"I would come to the sidelines and Pete would go, 'All right, look, you took this step wrong,' or, 'You did this,"' Bender said. "I was just thankful to spend some time with Pete and have him help me out. I'm just going to keep working."

Bender played tackle in the Jets' preseason opener against Atlanta two weeks ago. After that game, the coaching staff approached the rookie about moving to guard.

"I said, 'All right, let's do it," Bender recalled.

Beyond Bender, the team still has other options at left guard, but they, too, are unproven.

Clarke missed all of last season after being waived by Philadelphia following training camp. He played in 13 games for the Eagles in 2005, but wasn't impressive in two preseason games with the Jets.

Veteran Wade Smith is a career backup, while the other players listed on the depth chart at guard - Dominic Moran, Nick Smith and Robert Turner - are undrafted rookies.

"That's why you have the training camp, is to prepare the team and to also evaluate the people on the team and try to put the best combination of people together," coach Eric Mangini said.

It's possible that the player who starts at left guard against New England in the season opener on Sept. 9 isn't on the roster yet, a theory Mangini didn't exactly shoot down.

"With the process that we go through, looking at things each night, I'd say the roster is fluid and we're constantly looking to see if we can help the team win," Mangini said.

Until that happens, Bender is the Jets' man at left guard - and that's OK to his linemates.

"Jacob is coming along really well," right guard Brandon Moore said. "The one thing I noticed with him is that he doesn't repeat a lot of the same mistakes over and over again. I think that's what you want to see out of a young player."

Bringing in the new guard

August

23 Mike Tannenbaum had his post-Pete Kendall trade press conference, in which he admitted there might have been a misunderstanding or miscommunication between the Jets and Kendall.

Earlier today, coach Eric Mangini said he and Kendall talked about possibly sharing

August 23, 2007

Kendall heads South

The NFL Films' version of 'Hail to the Redskins' is in my head as I type this. Disgruntled LG Pete Kendall finally got what he wanted, as the Jets have traded him to Washington. The Jets are believed to be getting a fourth-round pick in 2009 or a fifth-round selection in 2008. The Redskins already have traded away their fourth-round pick in 2008.

Kendall is taking a physical to finalize the deal, but I wouldn't expect him to flunk, despite his recent right shoulder problems.

The Redskins needed a left guard badly. Tackle Todd Wade was trying to make the transition to LG, but it wasn't working out. Reserve Mike Pucillo started at the position against Pittsburgh last Saturday, the same game in which QB Jason Campbell was hit on the left knee by Steelers DE Brett Heisel and knocked out of the game. As part of the deal, Kendall will get the $1 million raise to $2.7 million that he was seeking.

The Initial Reaction: Well, this move should lower the blood pressure of Mannenbaum, as both coach and GM certainly were tired of Kendall's loud complaints about them to the media. It's not so good on the field, as the LG position is left in the hands of rookie Jacob Bender, a LT in college, and third-year player Adrien Clarke. I can't believe the Jets are seriously considering going into the season with Bender, a sixth-round pick from Nicholls State, helping to protect Chad Pennington's blind side. And Clarke apparently hasn't impressed them, either, as he was demoted after the Minnesota game. So a trade or some kind of waiver pickup appears to be a probability.

One possibility is Baltimore's Keydrick Vincent, a seventh-year RG who has recently fallen to third string on the depth chart. He appears to be the odd man out behind first-round pick Ben Grubbs and Chris Chester.

By the way, the Jets host the Redskins on Nov. 4. That should be a fun week leading up to that game.

Newsday- What the players say about Kendall

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sp...,0,678153.story

Former mates have nothing but praise for Kendall

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

9:34 PM EDT, August 23, 2007

In the preseason game against the Falcons earlier this month, quarterback Kellen Clemens was about to take a snap when he heard a gruff voice: "It ain't gonna work, get out of it!"

It was guard Pete Kendall, who recognized a glitch in the Jets' plans as they matched up against the defense. He was able to orchestrate a change at the line of scrimmage, and the play wound up a touchdown pass to Sean Ryan.

The Jets will not miss the rants Kendall issued almost daily during training camp. But they will miss the value he provided in times such as that nearly-doomed preseason snap, as well as the knowledge he imparted to his fellow linemen.

In Kendall's stead the Jets will attempt to use rookie sixth-round draft choice Jacob Bender, a product of .Division I-AA Nicholls State who played primarily tackle in college and early in training camp, and Adrien Clarke, a free agent who has started just four games in his career, all for the Eagles in 2005. Coach Eric Mangini said Wade Smith could also be considered a candidate for the left guard job, and he held open the idea of bringing someone else in either through trade or as rosters are trimmed in the coming week. "The roster is fluid," Mangini said.

Kendall left a legacy on the offensive linemen who remain here.

"He came to this team when I was just becoming a starter and I took a lot from him," said starting right guard Brandon Moore, now the elder statesman of the line. "Just watching him go about his business and being a pro and learning how to approach every week, that's what I'll take from Pete."

"One of the greatest things about Pete is that he is a teacher and he helped with a whole bunch of guys," said center Nick Mangold, one of Kendall's star students as a rookie last year. "It'll be tough not having that kind of teacher around."

Even Bender, who appears to be Kendall's successor and will likely start on Saturday against the Giants, said he learned from Kendall.

"I would come to the sideline and Pete would say 'You took this step wrong' or 'You did this'," Bender said. "I was thankful to spend some time with Pete. Pete helped me a lot in transitioning to guard and I'm still learning."

Archived