Bonds responds to Kittles (assoc. press took out profanity)

Blackout

Bonds dismisses 'I don't sign for white people' quoteAssociated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds blasted former White Sox slugger Ron Kittle, whose recently released book quotes the San Francisco Giants star as saying "I don't sign for white people" before a game at Wrigley Field 12 years ago.

"Who is Kittle? How long did he play? He played in our league?" Bonds said, lying on a clubhouse couch before Thursday's game against the Royals. "Ha! Do you guys believe that? ... Do you guys know my life history a little bit? ... One, you insult my children, who are half-white.

"I was married to a woman who was white, so let's get real. I don't even know the guy. Tell him he's an ... idiot. somebody said he wanted a piece of me. Tell him I'm at 24 Willie Mays Plaza and he can come get me anytime he wants to -- with pleasure. Don't insult my family."

In Kittle's book, "Tales from the White Sox Dugout," he writes that he approached Bonds at his locker in the visitors' clubhouse at Wrigley Field about autographing some jerseys to be auctioned for a cancer charity. Kittle retired after the 1991 season, and Bonds and the Giants were in Chicago to face the Cubs.

"It's the truth. I don't lie," Kittle told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday. "I tell it as it is. It's unfortunate it happened. And I didn't bring it up to sell the books."

Kittle said the book's co-author, Bob Logan, asked him to write about the good and bad aspects of the game.

"This was one of the rotten things that happened," Kittle said.

While he was furious at Kittle, Bonds said Thursday he was pleased with the progress of his surgically repaired right knee. But he dismissed a report that he hit soft toss in the batting cage Wednesday, saying he was just playing catch.

"Hey, Murphy, have I touched any of my bats?" he hollered to longtime equipment manager Mike Murphy. "I don't even know where they are."

Bonds has had three operations on his right knee since Jan. 31, the most recent on May 2 to drain fluid and examine an infection. He has not played this season.

Bonds said he isn't ready to guess when he might be back in the batter's box. Bonds has a routine doctor's appointment Friday to have his blood tested and another Sunday. Trainer Stan Conte believes Bonds could be off antibiotics sometime next week.

Will Bonds he back this season?

"I still don't know," Bonds said. "You guys will know when I'll be ready. You'll see. There's no reason to discuss that stuff until I'm with my teammates on the field."

Bonds said in spring training he could miss half the season or even the entire year, but has been more optimistic recently about a return. One popular timetable -- though the club won't make any predictions -- has Bonds returning sometime around the All-Star break. He turns 41 on July 24.

Bonds is third on the career home run list with 703, 11 behind Babe Ruth and 52 from tying Hank Aaron's record. Bonds batted .362 last season with 45 homers and 101 RBI and walked a major league-record 232 times on the way to his record seventh MVP award.

The first action of someone caught in the act is to blame someone else.

The second action of someone caught in the act is to attack the accuser. (Kittle)

The third action of someone caught in the act is to bring innocent people into the line of fire. (ie his kids, who were born after this incident allegedly took place)

I see Bonds doing all three of those actions. I believe not only did he do it, but he actually feels sorry that he got caught doing it.

The first action of someone caught in the act is to blame someone else.

The second action of someone caught in the act is to attack the accuser. (Kittle)

The third action of someone caught in the act is to bring innocent people into the line of fire. (ie his kids, who were born after this incident allegedly took place)

I see Bonds doing all three of those actions. I believe not only did he do it, but he actually feels sorry that he got caught doing it.

On the money 806 - don't know Kittle personally but know folks that do and he's not the kind of guy that would throw garbage like this into print to sell books. Caption 2 is - I can see that Ducebag doing/saying all of that and more. I hope something happens in that guys life to turn him around, he must be miserable.

I think the bigger issue is that Barry doesnt sign for much of anyone for free. He'll do the big money events for people who are white, black, or whatever, but there have always been stories of Barry blowing people off for free autographs, like at spring training, etc. Lots of players do the same, but with high-profile success comes some responsibility to the fans IMO.

Even if he didnt say "I dont sign for white people" or if he said it jokingly, its not a stretch to think he couldn't be bothered to take the time to sign for some sick kids charity. And that's just wrong.

anybody else watching the cubs-redsox pregame? one of the anchor guys in the nesn studio was telling a story about what it was like being on the 1995 NL all-star team and meeting Greg Maddox, and he mentioned "i got on the bus and i noticed every seat was taken... except for the one in the back next to Barry Bonds"

:lol:

You ever hear the story where Ted Williams refused to speak to black players?

I'm not sticking up for this (if it happened, which is hard to believe after certain stories I've heard about him playing Satchell Paige in the mid 40s), but theres a major difference between racism in the 40s and 50s and racism in the mid 90s

I think the bigger issue is that Barry doesnt sign for much of anyone for free. He'll do the big money events for people who are white, black, or whatever, but there have always been stories of Barry blowing people off for free autographs, like at spring training, etc. Lots of players do the same, but with high-profile success comes some responsibility to the fans IMO.

Even if he didnt say "I dont sign for white people" or if he said it jokingly, its not a stretch to think he couldn't be bothered to take the time to sign for some sick kids charity. And that's just wrong.

Bonds doesn't really sign with anyone. I remmeber hearing a story along the same lines of Kittles back when Bonds played with the Pirates. Some guy was trying to get balls signed for a charity and Bonds refused to unless he got paid.

Like Shelter said, he is what he is, and that is a a-hole. Bonds' problem is that when he is done with the game or the game is done with him, he's going to be remembered as being one of the biggest egotistical men to ever play the game and people will think more of Balco, steroids, and his attitude than of his historical accomplishments. Which is sad, but Barry brought this all on himself.

Archived