NY Jets news articles- 9/21- NY Post

Kentucky Jet

CHAD LOOKS GOOD TO GO

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 21, 2007 -- Chad Pennington, recovering from an injured ankle, continued to take snaps with the Jets' first team yesterday, taking further steps toward starting Sunday's game against the Dolphins.

"I thought he did well," Eric Mangini of the quarterback's Wednesday practice. "I thought he looked good in the reps that he had. He moved pretty well. It's something that we're going to continue to monitor. He will get the right number of reps within the framework of the rehab that he's doing. He did a really good job with the rehab last week and it's the same this week."

For Kellen Clemens, this week will be decidedly different. After he started last week against the Ravens, nearly leading a fourth-quarter comeback, he'll return to the bench.

"I understand Chad's the starter and my role is as the backup," Clemens said. "I'll be returning to what I was doing before. If my number is called on in the future - and I hope it's not because of injury - hopefully (my performance against the Ravens in a 20-13 loss) will help me.

"It was a lot of fun being the starter for a week," Clemens said. "It was definitely a nice taste for me."

There is some concern in Miami whether LB Zach Thomas will be able to play Sunday. Thomas has not practiced all week with what's being described by the Dolphins' injury report as a migraine. Insiders in Miami say that's a masked term for concussion. . . . Dolphins S Donovin Darius (calf) didn't practice at all yesterday after being limited in Wednesday's practice.

The Jets players who were limited in practice yesterday included CB Andre Dyson (foot), RG Brandon Moore (shoulder), WR Jerricho Cotchery (shoulder), NT Dewayne Robertson (knee) and DB Eric Smith (thigh). The injured players who practiced fully were CB David Barrett (thigh), LB David Bowens (hand), RB Thomas Jones (calf), TE Joe Kowalewski (shoulder) and FB Stacy Tutt (foot).

Dyson quietly and unofficially has lost his starting job to rookie No. 1 pick Darrelle Revis. In last week's game, when Dyson returned from a foot injury that kept him out of the opener, he came in on nickel situations and played the outside while Revis moved inside to play the slot receiver.

Dyson, who started all 16 regular-season games in 2006, yesterday wouldn't really acknowledge having lost his job, saying, "Whenever I'm out there I just play. They can only put two guys out there (to start). I'm just working myself back into things."

Boxing trainer and TV analyst Teddy Atlas, who's a member of the Jets' staff as a special assistant, showed up for yesterday's practice. "He pops in whenever he likes and we love having him around," Mangini said.

LB David Bowens, who played with the Dolphins the prior six seasons, said he has plans to have dinner with former Miami teammates Jason Taylor and Vonnie Holliday.

"We probably won't talk any football," Bowens said. "When we're finished playing football, we're always going to be friends."

Pennington set to try to turn Jets around

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, September 21st 2007, 1:54 AM

When Chad Pennington hopped off the field 11 days ago, slamming his helmet to the ground once he reached the sideline, he looked like a quarterback whose gut was telling him it was going to be a long time before he took another snap. That, Pennington revealed yesterday, was indeed the initial fear.

"(It's) an injury that normally takes some time," said Pennington, coming clean on his high-ankle sprain.

Through determination, round-the-clock rehab and advice from former teammate Curtis Martin, who made a career of playing hurt, Pennington's time on the sideline lasted only one week. Barring a setback in practice, he's set to start Sunday against the Dolphins at the Meadowlands.

"I've made a lot of progress," said the Jets' starter, showing no ill effects during the 30-minute media window at practice - a session in which he shared reps with Kellen Clemens. "I feel really good about the situation."

If the Jets can get a feel-good performance from Pennington, it might heal their season quicker than the trainers restored his ankle. They're 0-2, having played well in only three quarters, and they desperately need a victory to stay away from the edge of the abyss.

As well as Clemens played in his starting debut last weekend in Baltimore, the Jets are a better team with Pennington because of his intangibles. But there's a pro-Clemens faction outside the organization, probably the same fans that cheered so enthusiastically when Pennington was replaced by Clemens in the opener.

"No, it's not disappointing," Pennington said of the public sentiment. "I'm very confident in my ability to help us win and to play in this league. I feel good about it."

For Pennington, there's nothing better than facing the Dolphins (0-2), whose perennially strong defense hasn't been able to figure him out.

Consider: Pennington's starting record against Miami is 6-1, including a five-game winning streak. In those seven starts, he has nine touchdown passes, only one interception and a 96.7 passer rating. And he has thrown 116 consecutive passes without an interception against Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Co.

The Dolphins, struggling under rookie coach Cam Cameron, are preparing for both Pennington and Clemens. Eric Mangini, who refuses to discuss injuries, has declined to name the starter. But the Dolphins can see through the smoke.

"We'll be prepared for both," Cameron said, "but I would be surprised if Chad didn't play."

Pennington was designated as the No.2 quarterback in Baltimore, meaning the coaches felt he was well enough to step in if Clemens had gotten hurt. Afterward, a disappointed Pennington said he was "ready to play." It was the first time in his starting tenure, which began in 2002, that he was on the 45-man roster and didn't play. He looked so uncomfortable on the sideline that he actually wore his helmet instead of the ubiquitous baseball cap, resembling a forlorn kid being held out of recess.

"It's a horrible feeling because you can't help," he said. "Any time I feel like I can be available and help us win, I want to do that."

When the Jets returned home Sunday night, Pennington reported to Weeb Ewbank Hall, where he stayed in the trainer's room until the wee hours. He didn't get home until 2:30 a.m. Obviously, the sense of urgency is heightened. There's no such thing as a must-win game in September, but this is about as close as it gets to that.

Mangini has left no doubt that he wants Pennington on the field, but he also doesn't want to push him too hard, risking a setback. "We're ahead of where we were last week," Mangini said. "We'll make sure that we're getting him enough reps so he can be prepared, but not going so far, especially early in the week, that he has to scale back Thursday and Friday."

For Pennington and the Jets, it's all about Sunday.

Coles knows only one way to play

Friday, September 21, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Though WR Laveranues Coles has seen first-hand what a career full of violent collisions has done to his good friend Wayne Chrebet, he says he's not going to change the way he plays.

Chrebet, who will be honored at halftime on Sunday at the Meadowlands, suffered six documented concussions in his 11-year NFL career -- and probably just as many undocumented ones. The former wideout still suffers from post-concussion syndrome two years after his retirement.

Coles, one of the NFL's toughest receivers, suffered an apparent concussion in a 13-10 Christmas night victory in Miami last season and has taken countless vicious shots going across the middle throughout his career.

"You ask for something to happen when you go out and play cautious," Coles said yesterday. "You have to go out and just play football. Of course, there's a lot of risk involved and I think that's what attracts people to (the game). The vicious hit. The violence. It is what it is. You can't have that on your mind and have any type of success."

QB Chad Pennington, who has won his past five starts against the Dolphins, has been impressive in practice and will start Sunday, though coach Eric Mangini has yet to officially name his starter.

"I thought he did well (on Wednesday)," Mangini said before practice yesterday. "I thought he looked good in the reps that he had. He moved pretty well. ... He started with the first team and took the amount (of reps) that we had allocated to him."

Yesterday, Pennington appeared healthy and ready to go in the 30-minute portion of practice open to the media.

CB Andre Dyson, who lost his starting job to rookie Darrelle Revis after being hobbled by a foot injury throughout training camp, says he's not concerned.

"Whatever they (the coaches) want to do, they're going to do," said Dyson, who started all 16 games last season. "I'm going to keep playing and not worry about it.

Dolphins LT Vernon Carey said in the Miami Herald that in the wake of Ravens coach Brian Billick saying the Jets illegally shouted signals to draw the Ravens offside, they've had players from their scout team in Jets jerseys yelling out false signals in practice.

The Jets continue their fascination with ex-Patriots, signing former New England T Clint Oldenburg and G/C Mike Elgin to their practice squad. Oldenburg was a fifth-round pick in 2007. The team previously brought in WR Reche Caldwell, S Artrell Hawkins, CB Tory James and P Josh Miller. ... Dolphins LB Zach Thomas (migraine) sat out his second straight practice. ... The Jets reported no serious injuries.

CHREBET: END HEAD GAMES TOUGH DECISIONS: Wayne Chrebet, to be honored at halftime of Jets-Dolphins on Sunday, suffered at least six concussions during his NFL career. He says deciding to play with one should be taken out of players' hands. September 21, 2007 -- NOW that Wayne Chrebet has learned the hard way, if he would have had the chance to tell Jon Kitna, the former Jets receiver would have told the Lions quarterback to forget about returning to last Sunday's game with a concussion. But Chrebet was just like Kitna once upon a time, just like all the NFL gladiators who are worshipped by the bloodthirsty mob and glamorized by the television networks.

"I saw the highlights and saw what he looked like on the sideline; I don't think it was right," Chrebet said yesterday. "He has a tremendous heart to go out there and lead the team again, but I saw his eyes on the sideline and I know that look because I have seen it on my eyes and on other players'. I disagree with what they did. I'm sure he wanted to go back in and they told him no, but they need to look at the best interest of the player. I'm not one that would ever say bad things about anybody, but I don't think it was fair to him because he really could have gotten hurt out there."

Kitna dodged the bullet. Chrebet, no fewer than six concussions later, wasn't as lucky. As Roger Goodell's NFL only now begins to play catchup on player safety, Chrebet will stand on the Giants Stadium field Sunday on his day not only as our everyman, but as our symbol of the neglect of win-at-all-cost decision-makers who let competitive concerns override medical ones. He has a beautiful wife and two beautiful young boys and there are days he can enjoy them to the fullest, and days he cannot.

"I get real bad motion sickness now," Chrebet said. "Sometimes it is tough to do something with the kids and spin them around. I can't take them on roller coasters, fishing, and stuff that I used to like to do. There are a million other things that I can do, so I'm not concerned about it. How can I complain? I have a great life."

His fearlessness when he donned No. 80 was a blessing when he played, a curse now.

"I don't want to be a sob story," Chrebet said. "People are going to think what they are going to think. It was worth it to me, so I'm not going to complain about it."

For the Chrebets and the Kitnas, the future is always now.

"The truth is that we (players) are going to lie," Chrebet said. "I lied about it. Everybody has lied about it whether it is your head, knee, or any kind of injury. You have to take it out of the players' hands. We want to be out there for our teammates, fans and organization, so that is how we are going to do things. If the guidelines say that you definitely have to miss a certain amount of time, it will probably help the cause. I guess it depends on the severity of the concussion, but in my mind a concussion is a concussion. I don't care if it is mild or severe, I think the player should spend some time away from the game."

Asked if he had any regrets, Chrebet said, "I knew that after my ninth year when they told me that I should probably hang it up, they said that I have one more chance to go out there, if I get another one (injury) that would be it.

"I told the people at the time that this is the way that I played. There was nothing I was going to change because I didn't know how to play any other way. Even if I had the chance to play again, I wouldn't change the way that I played on the field. Maybe I learned a little bit about going out of bounds instead of taking the hit on the sidelines, but I couldn't change that. I think that is what endeared me to the fans so much."

It was his heart.

"I don't even know his height - 5-9, 5-10 - but he played like he was 7 feet," pal Laveranues Coles said.

Chrebet, 34, now says thank you and goodbye.

"It is a second chance to do it the way that I wanted to," Chrebet said.

He left it all on the field. Maybe left too much.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Jets' Ferguson on the line

Former top pick is under scrutiny at tackle

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson was beaten for a sack in the season opener, and Chad Pennington's right ankle paid the price.

A week ago, QB Kellen Clemens -- subbing for the injured Pennington -- went down after the Baltimore Ravens pass-rusher Ferguson was responsible for broke free. Of course, the rest of the Jets' offensive line had buckled as well.

An evaluation of Ferguson's early season performance doesn't necessarily reveal he's had a pair of bad games. Instead, his struggles might be limited to a couple of bad plays. Other than the quarterback, the left tackle is perhaps the most important piece of the offense, and just one mistake can turn a game.

Ferguson allowed 10 sacks last season, according to STATS, Inc., and the two this season. And next up is Dolphins defensive end/linebacker Jason Taylor, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the year, Sunday at Giants Stadium.

Ferguson has been solid, if unspectacular, through his first 18 NFL regular-season games -- not the type of performance some expected of the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"It takes time," Taylor said this week. "Especially in that position where you're facing good rushers every week and getting everybody's best pitches. I thought (Ferguson) came in and did a good job last year. He played very well and so far this year I think he's picked up where he left off last year.

"There are always going to be struggles when you have a young guy there. There are going to be struggles for veterans at times. I said it last year and I'll say it now that he's one of those guys that's going to be a good player there for a long time. I have a lot of confidence that he can be what everyone expects him to be at that position and I know he wants to do it."

Whether or not Ferguson wants to be great has been questioned. He grew up in a middle-class household on Long Island, is bright and articulate and has an easy-going demeanor.

"It's definitely an aspiration to be a great player at your position," Ferguson said. "That's definitely something I work towards. ... I have some work to do. I'm building a profile."

The 6-6, 305-pound Ferguson is athletic and quick on his feet, but he has been hindered by a lack of strength -- power rushers give him problems -- and inconsistent technique.

And then there's the caliber of opposition. Though Patriots defensive end Jarvis Green, who beat Ferguson outside on the Pennington injury, is a backup, he could start for most teams. In that game, Ferguson also had to keep an eye on highly respected outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin.

Against the Ravens, defensive end Trevor Pryce beat Ferguson to sack Clemens after center Nick Mangold yielded pressure up the middle that collapsed the pocket. Ferguson also saw a lot of Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs and shut him out.

Advertisement

The Jets offensive line has allowed nine sacks in two games, but all the blame can't be laid at the locker stall of Ferguson.

Last season, Taylor, who moves around in the Dolphins' 3-4 scheme and is the Dolphins all-time sack leader (107), had two sacks against the Jets, one in each game. Ferguson held his own in both games, yielding just one of those sacks on Christmas night in Miami.

"He has a lot of ability," Ferguson said of Taylor. "I can really see why he's such a great player. ... I'm just trying to put a personal plan together so when I see him on Sunday, I can have a good game and be successful."

Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (60 career sacks), the ex-Steeler, will also be Ferguson's responsibility at times.

Jets coach Eric Mangini insisted Ferguson is getting better, challenged each week with a different style of pass-rusher -- power, speed or a combination of both.

"He plays one of the toughest positions in football," Mangini said. "He plays against usually the best pass-rusher on every single team, and it's week in and week out. There's no games off. He's continuing to work at his craft, and you see the fruits of that labor."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

FISH FIRED UP TO FACE JETS

TAYLOR, THOMAS RELISH RIVALRY

By MARK CANNIZZARO

UP IN THE AIR: Chad Pennington (left) expects to again face heavy pressure from Jason Taylor (right) on Sunday when the Jets and Dolphins try to avoid an 0-3 start at Giants Stadium.September 21, 2007 -- The Jets have a couple of players with a true insider's perspective on the hatred that exists in the rivalry between the Jets and Dolphins, who both at 0-2 will clash in Sunday's AFC East Desperation Bowl at Giants Stadium.

Darian Barnes, now a Jets fullback, played with the Dolphins the previous two seasons before signing here as a free agent in the offseason, and he knows exactly what to expect Sunday.

Barnes is aware that loathing runs particularly deep with two of his Miami friends, defensive end Jason Taylor and linebacker Zach Thomas, the two players who've been the faces of the Dolphins' franchise the past several years.

"They're coming to kick my [behind]," Barnes said.

There will, indeed, be some violent collisions at Giants Stadium.

Barnes said, from his experience in south Florida, there was an added intensity from the Dolphins preparing to play the Jets.

"It's a big week down there," Barnes said. "You could always tell it was Jets week in practice because there was a different air to it."

Jets linebacker David Bowens, who also signed here as a free agent during the offseason, played the previous six years in Miami and has a keen perspective on the rivalry, which has been owned by the Jets recently with five wins in the past six meetings.

"The rivalry played out like Ohio State-Michigan," Bowens said. "They have a lot of new guys down there, but I'm sure Jason's going to get those guys up for this game and try to get them to understand the rivalry between the two teams.

"I know JT (Taylor) as well as anyone," Bowens went on. "He's one of the toughest competitors I've ever seen. He's probably in a team meeting right now telling those guys to get ready. He hates to lose. Being 0-2 for him, he's probably pulling his hair out."

Through good times and bad, Taylor and Thomas have been the backbone of the Dolphins and time is running out if they're going to win.

"That's a hard-core defense," Barnes said. "That front seven with Zach and Jason is dangerous."

This is Barnes' scouting report on Thomas, the Dolphins' perennial leader in tackles and heart: "Zach is a student of the game. His film study is so tremendous, Zach knows what you're going to do before you do it. Zach is an animal. You've got to account for him."

Barnes on Taylor, last year's NFL Defensive Player of the Year: "Phenomenal. He won so many games for us last year. You have to know where he is at all times. He's one of the best defensive linemen I've ever seen. He's as fast and athletic as a receiver. Brick (Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson) has got a tall order this week."

Taylor also knows what to expect out of Barnes, having gone against the thumping fullback in practice.

"We used to call him Full-Tilt here because he was always going full speed at practice, even on Fridays when everyone was trying to chill out," Taylor said. "He was a good teammate. Barnes was fun. We miss him down here. Him and D-Bow (Bowens), we miss them both."

Asked if he expects Barnes to be amped for Sunday's game, Taylor said, "Oh, yeah, he'll be yakking and being his crazy self. He's an interesting character."

Chad Pennington, who won't be doing a lot of yakking, has faced Taylor and Thomas enough to know they're going to get their licks in. The key is trying to minimize the damage.

"If you don't put a hat on Zach Thomas he's going to make every tackle, and if you're not aware of Jason Taylor he's going to change the game," Pennington said.

Thomas may not play with what the team is calling a migraine but which may be a concussion. Taylor, on the other hand, is licking his chops.

"There's no bigger way to get ready for the next week than to have the Jets coming up," Taylor said. "It's obviously a big game for both teams and the rivalry is there. The need to get a win on both teams is there, so it adds that much fuel to an already fiery situation. These are always fun and energetic and pressure-filled games to play in. I'm sure this one will be no different."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Joe Namath Jets Still in Good Shape

Posted Sep 21st 2007 4:34AM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: Jets, NFL Injuries, New York

With all the talk about how many retired NFL players are living with the long-term health effects of injuries suffered on the field, it comes as a bit of a surprise to learn that players from the 1968 Jets are in no worse health than the general population.

The 1968 Jets, of course, are the team that famously won the Super Bowl after Joe Namath guaranteed they would. A study in the October issue of The American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that although the ex-Jets have had knee replacement surgery at a much higher rate than the general population (Namath has had both knees replaced), they're also healthier than average in other respects. Only three players on the '68 Jets have died, which is a low death rate for a group of men in their 60s and 70s.

For all the horror stories we've heard about NFL injuries, there's a lot more anecdotal evidence than there is hard research. The '68 Jets might not be a representative sample of ex-football players as a whole, but the guys who testified before Congress this week might not be, either.

Patriots won't be hit harder

NFL investigation reveals no further improprieties

- Patriot Laurence Maroney is determined to change his upright running style for the better. (BARRY CHIN/GLOBE STAFF)

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | September 21, 2007

FOXBOROUGH - There will be no further sanctions against the Patriots as a result of the NFL's investigation into the team's videotaping procedures, a league source confirmed last night.

According to the source, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to all 32 clubs last night in which he said he was satisfied the Patriots fully cooperated and complied with his instructions.

Goodell wrote that NFL staffers met twice with top Patriots officials and took possession of all tapes and documents relating to the team's videotaping of opposing signals. All materials were destroyed and the Patriots also certified in writing that no copies or other records exist, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed.

An NBC report during last Sunday night's Patriots-Chargers game, claiming the Jets alleged that the Patriots had illegally placed a microphone on a defensive player, was found to have no merit.

"We have no evidence to support that claim," Aiello said.

To ensure all teams are following the same guidelines, the league recently resent its game operations manual regarding videotaping and audio communications to each club. Teams will now be required to allow more access for NFL security and game operations officials, and the league plans to closely monitor the procedures of all 32 clubs.

Following the public firestorm of the Patriots' videotaping scandal - which included Colts coach Tony Dungy comparing Patriots coach Bill Belichick's situation to that of baseball slugger Barry Bonds - Goodell has also expressed concern to all teams regarding public allegations of cheating and illegal conduct. Earlier this week, Ravens coach Brian Billick accused the Jets of breaking the rules by illegally having defensive players simulate the quarterback's snap count.

Yesterday's developments put a cap on two of the most turbulent weeks in recent Patriots history.

The NFL ruled the Patriots illegally videotaped the signals of Jets defensive coaches in the Sept. 9 season opener. The videotape was seized in the first quarter and Goodell later said it had no impact on the result of the game, a 38-14 Patriots victory.

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000. The team will lose a 2008 first-round draft choice if it makes the playoffs, or 2008 second- and third-round choices if it does not qualify for the playoffs.

The NFL continues to investigate how the tape seized from Patriots assistant Matt Estrella was broadcast on Fox's pregame show last Sunday. The field-level tape showed Jets coaches giving signals to players, before panning to the scoreboard to indicate down and distance.

The content of the tape was part of what Goodell viewed when he deemed the Patriots violated the league's videotape procedures.

NFL rules state that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game" and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson had sent a memo in September 2006 reminding teams that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

In a statement released following the NFL's ruling, Belichick indicated that his "interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect."

The rule to which Belichick was referring was: "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

Mike Reiss can be reached at mreiss@globe.com.

Not a Must But Pretty Darn Close

Posted by Bob Bullock September 20, 2007 9:57PM

Categories: Games

It is certainly hard to call the third game of the season a "must" win, but when you lose the first two and only play 16, it's about as close as you can get.

The Jets had high expectations heading into this season and a loss to the hated FISH at home on Sunday would bring a cold reality to the team. A reality that would show an 0-3 record with two HOME division loses on the board. It is certainly a place nobody wants to go.

This week the team should have starting quarterback Chad Pennington back, which is certainly a good thing. Pennington is 6-1 versus the FISH, which is very good news for a team looking for any kind of a good stat at this point.

Another piece of good news came out this evening from FISH land, as linebacker Zach Thomas could miss Sunday's game with "head" issues. That would certainly be another positive for Gang Green, giving Miami a big hole at the linebacker position to go along with its shaky secondary.

This week's game is going to have to be more about the Jets though, not about the opponent. It is time for this team to look more like the 10-6 team from last season. It is time to see some plays made on the defensive side of the ball. Zero sacks and zero turnovers are just inexcusable for this unit. The special teams also needs to step up. This is supposed to be a strength of the team, but you certainly couldn't tell that from the first two games. Finally, the offense has to start being more consistent, especially in the running game. Thomas Jones needs to become a factor and it has to start this week.

It's been a total team effort that has led to this 0-2 start. It needs to be a team effort to get the season headed in the right direction too. The first step starts this Sunday.

Jets Bolster O-Line

The Jets have taken steps the last couple of days to strengthen the offensive line. The team signed center/guard Will Montgomery on Tuesday and followed that up by adding tackle Clint Oldenburg to the practice squad today.

Montgomery could certainly be a starter at left guard very soon. He started a few games for the Panthers last season but he was caught in a numbers game and was released. All the reports about this kid have him with definite long-term starting potential.

The Patriots released Oldenburg earlier this week, so of course the Jets picked him up. He was drafted by the cheaters...ah, Patriots, in the fifth round of this year's draft.

Chrebet has no regrets

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

In Wayne Chrebet's post-football life, there are good days and there are bad days as he deals with the aftereffects of at least six concussions incurred during his NFL career.

And as he admitted in a conference call Thursday, "I do have problems."

But he also made it clear that he has no regrets as he prepares for Wayne Chrebet Day. The second-most prolific receiver in Jets' history will be honored at halftime of the team's 1 p.m. game against Miami at Giants Stadium on Sunday.

"I don't want to be looked at as some sob story," said Chrebet, who had 580 receptions, second to Don Maynard (627) in team history. "Look at what I accomplished. How could I ever complain about anything? It was worth it to me."

The Garfield native said he has some problems with motion sickness, noting that he can't take his sons, Lukas and Cade, fishing or on roller coasters, "but there's a million other things I can do. How can I complain? I have a great life."

Flying is not a problem. In fact, Chrebet, who lives in Colts Neck, was speaking from Ohio, where he is racing one of the harness horses he owns. He also owns a restaurant, Chrebet's, just across the street from the Jets' training complex at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., and said he usually is there at least a couple of days a week.

"The restaurant is doing great," he said. "It's a chance to consume some of my time and be part of a team again.

"I really don't think there's anything you can do about it," he said of his problems with post-concussion syndrome. "I think time will tell. I don't mind it. I'm used to it. I just hope for the best."

When asked about Detroit quarterback Jon Kitna re-entering the game against Minnesota on Sunday after suffering a concussion, Chrebet said, "I don't think it was right. ... I saw his eyes from the sideline. I know that look."

Chrebet said that when a player is asked if he can play after a blow to the head, "the honest truth is we're going to lie. I've lied about it. Everybody's lied about it, whether it's a head, a knee, any kind of injury. You've got to take [the decision] out of the players' hands."

Chrebet's career ended after his last concussion, suffered against San Diego on Nov. 6, 2005. Fittingly, his last reception converted a third down.

Chrebet was frustrated by the fact he wasn't able to leave football on his own terms, and that's a major reason he's looking forward to Sunday's ceremony.

"The biggest part of the day for me," he said, "is a chance to say goodbye the way I wanted to."

He added it's a chance to "thank friends and family, thank the organization, thank the fans. A second chance to walk off the field and soak it all in."

Chrebet said he wasn't nervous before a game, but he is about Sunday's halftime.

"It's a lot more stressful," he said, "thinking about talking in front of 70,000 people. I don't know what's going to happen or what kind of emotions I'm going to have."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets' Revis ready to be tested

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Darrelle Revis knows his time will come.

And when it does, "Baby Lockdown" will be ready.

The affectionate nickname was bestowed upon the Jets' rookie cornerback earlier this week by free safety Kerry Rhodes on account of Revis' suffocating coverage.

Unfortunately for the Jets, Revis hasn't had many opportunities to flash his athletic prowess this season. For whatever reason, both the Patriots and the Ravens chose not to go after the rookie -- a decision Revis said surprised him because he goes into every game expecting "to get picked on."

But don't expect him to go unscathed much longer, especially with the Miami Dolphins coming to town this weekend. The team features a trio of exceptional wide receivers in Chris Chambers, Ted Ginn Jr. and Marty Booker, and quarterback Trent Green will more than likely spread the offense around.

"From just watching film, [Ginn and Chambers] are two deep threat guys," said Revis, who has 11 total tackles and two passes defended against the Ravens.

"Teddy Ginn -- they're going to try to use trick plays with him, throw them down the field. Chambers -- he's a Pro Bowl guy, so I know they're going to throw him the ball."

Though Revis' teammates agree the cornerback hasn't been tested much this season, his new moniker speaks volumes about their faith in his ability.

"I'm sure [other teams] are trying to come at him but he's doing such a good job in coverage, [the receivers are] not open," said Rhodes. "He's done a great job in the first two games so I gave him a little nickname to mess with him a little bit.

"I hope [the ball does come to him] because I want to see how he'll react if someone makes a catch on him or something," Rhodes added with a laugh.

Skill was never the issue for Revis. What had been in question for some time was how quickly the 14th overall draft pick would adjust to the pros after missing 22 practices and the Jets' preseason opener against Atlanta due to a contract holdout. But so far Revis has shown improvement through his commitment.

"When I wasn't here [because of the contract impasse], I was working out and still studying and knowing what I had to do so when I [did] come back I wouldn't be far behind," said the University of Pittsburgh standout.

"A lot of the veterans helped me out. Basically, just keeping on me all the time, making sure I'm doing the right things. It all worked out well."

"Now that he's here, he's catching on fast," added fellow cornerback David Barrett. "He's in his books, he's studying. And that's what I thought was going to be the hardest thing -- him getting in his books and knowing what to do. Whether he's pressing the man or just playing off, he's showing good progress."

"I don't know if they're going to go to him or not. But if they do, I know he'll be ready."

So does Revis.

"I'm always ready," the cornerback laughed. "I wouldn't be playing in the NFL if I wasn't."

BRIEF: The Jets signed offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg to the practice squad. Oldenburg (6 feet 5, 300 pounds, Colorado State) was selected by the New England Patriots in the fifth round of the 2007 NFL draft. He was released by the Patriots on Sept. 19.

E-mail: martink@northjersey.com

Chrebet happy he can say good-bye to Jets fans

BY TOM ROCK tom.rock@newsday.com

September 21, 2007

Wayne Chrebet said he doesn't want to be a sob story.

Perhaps a cautionary tale, then?

The Jets receiver will be honored at halftime of Sunday's game against the Dolphins, a little less than two years after his final play in the NFL in which he caught a first-down pass against the Chargers but suffered the last of six documented concussions. He was unable to trot off the field waving, unable to soak up the cheers with one final inhale, unable to say good-bye. For him, that's what Sunday will be about.

"It's a second chance to do it the way that I wanted to," Chrebet said yesterday.

Not everyone in the NFL gets a second chance. Most fade away, rotting on the waiver wire like overripe tomatoes clinging to the vine. And many face symptoms similar to those Chrebet deals with in life with post-concussion syndrome. While the fiery receiver said he has no regrets in regard to playing too long or returning from injury too soon - "It was worth it to me," he said - he also said sometimes players have to be protected from themselves.

Chrebet said he saw highlights of Sunday's Lions game in which quarterback Jon Kitna was knocked out of the first half with a concussion but returned to play in the second half.

"I saw his eyes on the sideline and I know that look because I have seen it on my eyes and on other players," Chrebet said. "I disagree with what they did. I'm sure he wanted to go back in and they told him no, but they need to look at the best interest of the player."

The NFL has new guidelines regarding concussions, but Chrebet still thinks the players have too much say in their return.

"The truth is that we are going to lie," he said. "I lied about it. Everybody has lied about it, whether it is your head, knee or any kind of injury. You have to take it out of the players' hands."

Chrebet also said he is in favor of rules that keep concussed players off the field until they have recovered.

"I guess it depends on the severity of the concussion, but in my mind a concussion is a concussion," he said. "I don't care if it is mild or severe, I think the player should spend some time away from the game."

Chrebet is spending that time away from the game these days. He was in Ohio watching one of his racehorses compete this week, has spent time with his family, and has opened a restaurant, Chrebet's, across the street from the Jets complex at Hofstra. Current Jets receiver Laveranues Coles was there recently, chatting with his former teammate, enjoying some chicken wings. Coles said he and Chrebet never talk about the concussions or their aftermath.

"I don't get into that part of his life," Coles said. "I talk to him about whatever he wants to talk to me about and that hasn't been one of the topics."

Coles had to leave the game against the Dolphins last year with concussion-like symptoms. Does Coles think about Chrebet's early retirement in relationship to his own career of going across the middle for receptions and taking hits for extra yardage?

"Last time I checked you can't play this game cautious," Coles said. "You're asking for something to happen to you if you go out and play cautious."

While Chrebet is outspoken about changes that need to occur in the way NFL players and teams view concussions, he said he wouldn't have changed anything about his career.

"Maybe I learned a little bit about going out of bounds instead of taking the hit on the sidelines, but I wouldn't change that," he said. "I think that is what endeared me to the fans so much."

Chrebet turned 34 in August. If not for the concussions, he might still be a productive and beloved Jets receiver. He might still be able to play in front of all those fans who wear his No.80 jersey to the games, hear them roar with anticipation when the ball is thrown in his direction and cheer when he lunges for a first down. Instead, he's out of football, still dealing with its effects.

"Some days are good and some days are bad," Chrebet said.

Sunday will be a good day for him. They usually were.

Notes"es: Dolphins LB Zach Thomas missed a second straight practice with a migraine and underwent tests for a possible concussion... Eric Mangini said QB Chad Pennington "looked good" and "moved pretty well" in Wednesday's practice, but he was still listed as having limited participation yesterday ... Jets special assistant Teddy Atlas, a boxing trainer, was on the sideline at practice.

Sunday

Dolphins at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050), WABC (770), WRCN (103.9)

More articles

Copyright

POWER RANKINGS | By Bill Williamson, The Denver Post (last week's ratings in parentheses)

By The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 09/21/2007 12:24:27 AM MDT

New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini (AP | Ed Betz)(Last week's rankings in parentheses)

ON THE MOVE: New York Jets

While all the focus is on the New Orleans Saints' horrendous start, the Jets aren't exactly setting the league on fire. A surprise playoff team last year, the Jets have the look of the 2005 Jets. In the first two games of his second season, Jets coach Eric Mangini is struggling to recapture his rookie season's magic. The Jets are 0-2 and really haven't competed so far.

1. (1) Indianapolis: Colts know how to win the close games.

2. (2) New England: This team will be difficult to beat.

3. (4) Dallas: We'll find out just how good the Cowboys' offense is Sunday at Chicago.

4. (6) Denver: Point total not matching yardage dominance.

5. (3) San Diego: Norv Turner has to show he deserves this job.

6. (8) San Francisco: NFC's version of Broncos after two weeks.

7. (9) Pittsburgh: Mike Tomlin has these Steelers looking like the Bill Cowher Steelers.

8. (11) Chicago: Bears' defense will be ready for the Cowboys.

9. (5) Seattle: Seahawks must show they are class of the NFC West.

10. (7) Cincinnati: Bengals' defense should be ashamed of itself.

11. (15) Baltimore: Ravens' defense will still keep them in games.

12. (16) Jacksonville: Jags will lose a lot of games if they can't run.

13. (17) Arizona: Cardinals have confidence, and they should.

14. (19) Detroit: There is some offense going on in Detroit.

15. (20) Houston: Gary Kubiak early coach of the year candidate.

16. (21) Green Bay: Packers could open some eyes with a win over the Chargers.

17. (22) Washington: Redskins have an impressive young defense.

18. (14) Tennessee: Titans did right thing by extending Jeff Fisher's contract.

19. (10) New Orleans: Last year's sweethearts might be this year's punch line.

20. (12) Carolina: Look like the same old inconsistent Panthers.

21. (26) Cleveland: For one day, Browns were lots of fun to watch.

22. (13) N.Y. Jets: Challenging the Saints for flop of early season.

23. (27) Tampa Bay: Nice progress, Jon Gruden.

24. (18) Philadelphia: QB McNabb deserves patience, not boos.

25. (23) St. Louis: Rams will get it together soon.

26. (24) Buffalo: Bills, understandably, look like a beaten team.

27. (25) Minnesota: The Vikings are feisty, if anything.

28. (28) New York Giants: It's just not a fun place to be around these days.

29. (29) Kansas City: Where is the offense?

30. (30) Miami: The Dolphins are a lousy team right now.

31. (31) Atlanta: Should we be surprised that this team can't score?

32. (32) Oakland: Lane Kiffin has this team playing hard.

All indications are Pennington will start for Jets Sunday

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 21, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - If it wasn't clear previously that quarterback Chad Pennington would start against the Dolphins Sunday, coach Eric Mangini erased almost all doubt yesterday.

"I thought he looked good in the reps that he had," Mangini said of Pennington, who remained limited in practice. "He moved pretty well. It's something that we're going to continue to monitor. He did a really good job with the rehab last week. It's the same this week."

Pennington injured his right ankle in a 38-14 loss to the Patriots in Week 1 and backed up Kellen Clemens in this past Sunday's 20-13 loss at Baltimore. Mangini said Pennington is back practicing with the first team.

"He started with the first team and took the amount (of reps) that we had allocated for him," Mangini said.

All along, Clemens, who completed 19 of 37 passes for 260 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions against the Ravens, has said he understands his role is to back up Pennington.

"It was a great experience being the starter for a week and, hopefully, it'll pay dividends down the line," Clemens said. "I was only the starter for a week, it's not like I've been the starter for weeks so it's not a difficult transition."

Still being Green: Fourteen-year veteran Trent Green has been steady, if not spectacular, in his first two starts for the Dolphins. That he's still playing at all amazes Jets defensive end Eric Hicks, his ex-teammate with the Chiefs.

Green suffered a concussion in last year's season opener against the Bengals when defensive end Robert Geathers hit a prone Green after the quarterback slid for yardage. Green was knocked unconscious and lay on the field for 15 minutes.

"It was terrible. I don't even know anybody who would want to put on a helmet after a hit like that," Hicks said. "It's a testament to him that he played. I think he found new life down in Miami and he's going to make the most of his opportunity."

Green has completed 47 of 78 passes for 506 yards with three touchdowns and four interceptions this season.

This and that: The Jets signed offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg, the Patriots' fifth-round pick out of Colorado State, to their practice squad. ... Safety Donovin Darius (calf) and linebacker Zach Thomas (migraine) did not participate in the Dolphins' practice.

Chrebet set to walk away on his own terms

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 21, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Wayne Chrebet will discuss the ramifications of his concussion-filled career, the motion sickness he experiences, the good days and the bad. But only if asked.

And he will do it even more reluctantly in anticipation of Sunday's halftime ceremony, when the Jets will honor their retired, scrappy, overachieving wide receiver.

"I don't want to be a sob story," Chrebet said yesterday. "My only thoughts are to look at my life, what I did, at what I accomplished and at what I'm surrounded by. How can I ever complain about anything? It was worth it to me."

Still, concussions ultimately robbed Chrebet of playing football, something he freely admits he'd still be doing if he could.

The 34-year-old Chrebet, an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, caught 580 passes from 1995-2005, the second most in franchise history behind Hall of Famer Don Maynard's 627. Chrebet's 7,365 receiving yards are third on the team's all-time list behind Maynard (11,732) and Wesley Walker (8,306).

Perhaps after the Jets retire Curtis Martin's No. 28, most likely next season, they'll consider doing the same for Chrebet's No. 80.

Yet it was his endearing, gritty style that led to six documented concussions - including the career-ending one Nov. 6, 2005, against the Chargers - though Chrebet believes he suffered at least 13.

Which is why Sunday is so important to him. It will be almost cathartic, he admitted, since the way his career ended afforded him no closure.

"It is a second chance to do it the way that I wanted to," Chrebet said. "A chance to walk off the field, soak it all in, wave goodbye and end that chapter of my life."

To a certain extent, Chrebet has moved on. He spoke yesterday from Ohio, where he went to watch one of his racehorses. He has opened up Chrebet's Restaurant across the street from the Hofstra campus.

But he admits he can't do things like pick up his children and spin them, ride roller coasters or go fishing with them.

"There are a million other things that I can do, so I'm not concerned about it," Chrebet said. "How can I complain? I have a great life."

Which is not to say Chrebet is unconcerned about concussions.

He believes the Detroit Lions did a disservice to Jon Kitna by allowing their quarterback back on the field after he suffered a concussion in Sunday's 20-17 overtime win over the Vikings.

"I saw his eyes on the sidelines and I know that look because I have seen it in my eyes and on other players," Chrebet said. "I disagree with what they did. They need to look at the best interest of the player. I don't think it was fair to him because he could have gotten hurt out there."

Chrebet added he approves of new NFL guidelines that mandate an on-site doctor to OK sending a concussed player back into a game, because it takes the decision away from the player.

"The honest truth is, we're going to lie," Chrebet said. "I've lied about it, everybody's lied about it, whether it's a head, a knee or any type of injury."

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Jets Need Running Game To Awaken Versus Miami

Football

By SEAN LAHMAN

September 21, 2007

Drew Hallowell / Getty

The Redskins' Clinton Portis, above, and Ladell Betts are averaging 120 yards a game on the ground this year.

Any coach will tell you that to win football games you need to play well on the line. So far, the Jets have failed to do that on both sides of the ball, and the results have been predictable. Desperate for a win, the Jets hope to solve those problems this week against a familiar opponent. The Miami Dolphins have not only had their share of struggles so far this year, but they've lost to the Jets in five of their last six meetings. Here's a closer look at how the division foes will match up.

DOLPHINS (0-2) at JETS (0-2)

Sunday, 1 p.m., CBS

WHEN THE JETS HAVE THE BALL

The late-August trade of veteran guard Pete Kendall has loomed over the Jets two losses. In both games, the poor play of the offensive line has prevented the offense from mounting an effective attack. They have surrendered nine sacks in two games, including one that caused Chad Pennington's ankle injury. Their inability to sustain pass protection has made it nearly impossible to throw the deep ball.

Worse yet, the poor blocking upfront has derailed the running game. Thomas Jones has been held to just 2.9 yards per carry and hasn't had a run longer than 12 yards. Too often he's getting hit at the line of scrimmage or running into the back of one of his linemen. What's more, the lousy run blocking has made it impossible for the Jets to use Leon Washington. His speed and shiftiness are useless if the line can't create holes for him to run through.

All indications are that Chad Pennington will start Sunday. Before suffering the injury, he was doing a good job getting passes to his receivers underneath the coverage. Kellen Clemens was okay in his first NFL start last week, and might even have pulled out a victory if his receivers hadn't dropped some catchable passes in the red zone last week. Jerricho Cotchery had a big game with seven catches for 165 yards, but he was limited in practice this week because of a shoulder injury.

The Dolphins' greatest strength in recent years has been their defense, but they seem to have regressed this year. Linebacker Joey Porter has not been a factor in the pass rush, and the loss of strong safety Yeremiah Bell with a season-ending Achilles injury depletes an already porous secondary.

Miami's biggest problem this year has been their inability to stop the run. They've given up 357 rushing yards in their first two games, and both opponents simply wore them down in the second half.

WHEN THE DOLPHINS HAVE THE BALL

The Dolphins have struggled to run the ball, averaging 3.1 yards per carry and gaining just 127 total rushing yards. Most observers expected to see the Dolphins build their offense around running back Ronnie Brown, but that hasn't happened. Head coach Cam Cameron has abandoned the run early in both games this season, in part because the offensive line has not blocked well. Brown has the speed to run outside, so look for the Dolphins to challenge the Jets 3–4 alignment by attacking the edges.

Their inability to run the ball has made it tough for the Dolphins to unleash their aggressive passing attack. Chris Chambers has the combination of size and speed that could make him an elite receiver, but the Dolphins haven't had a quarterback who could consistently get him the ball. They hoped to solve that problem with the trade for Trent Green, but so far the results have been disappointing. The veteran quarterback played well in the opener but threw four interceptions last week. That's often an indication that he's tipping off his throws. Green also seems to have lost some zip on his passes, floating too many into coverage.

That bodes well for the Jets, who struggled to contain both Tom Brady and Kyle Boller. The most glaring problem has been the lack of a pass rush. The Jets didn't record a single sack in either game, and they allowed both quarterbacks ample time to survey the field. The defense also hasn't created a single turnover yet this season.

One area where they have performed well has been with their run defense, holding opponents to just 3.5 yards per carry. They finally solved the Willis McGahee riddle last week, and so far the Jets haven't allowed a run longer than 13 yards.

KEY TO THE GAME

The Jets need to get their running game going, and perhaps the best way to do that is spread the defense with their quick, short passing attack. Mixing in some screen passes to Washington could help as well.

'69 JETS GREAT IN 'OVERTIME'

By NEIL GRAVES

September 21, 2007 -- If you picture the 1969 Super Bowl Jets as a bunch of gnarled guys with bum knees leaning on walkers, boy, have you got the wrong team.

A Lenox Hill Hospital sports-medicine team recently surveyed 36 members and found them a relative picture of health for a group whose average age was 62. Lenox Hill found the most prevalent maladies were arthritis, predominately in the knee (24 of the 36), chronic lower back pain (13) and hypertension (13).

No more than five players each reported having heart disease, cancer, strokes or kidney disease, said the doctors in their report to appear in next month's American Journal of Sports Medicine.

They were evaluated as having "long and fulfilling careers with no apparent long-term detrimental effects . . . despite a high prevalence of arthritis," the doctors said.

Archived