NY Jets News Articles- 11/ 2

Kentucky Jet

COLES CALL- NY Post

DOCS TO DECIDE IF CONCUSSION BENCHES WR

By MARK CANNIZZARO

HEAD GAMES: Jets receiver Laveranues Coles may miss Sunday's game against the Redskins because of a concussion he suffered last week.November 2, 2007 -- Jets receiver Laveranues Coles was held out of practice yesterday, his second consecutive missed session, because of the concussion he suffered against the Bills last week.

As a result, his status for Sunday's game at Giants Stadium against the Redskins, his former team, is in question.

Asked if he expects to play, Coles said the decision was out of his hands.

"That's something that they (coaches and medical staff) are talking about," Coles said. "I'm going to let them make the decision this time. I'm not going to fight it. Whatever decision they make is pretty much what I'm going to go with. I haven't had a decision handed down to me yet."

Coles, the heart and soul of the Jets offense and a co-captain, has played in 104 consecutive games and hasn't missed a game since his rookie season in 2000.

He has had at least one other concussion within the last year, suffering one against the Dolphins last December.

"The people that are closest to me and that I love the most are pretty much letting me know their opinion and what they think," he said. "They will make a better judgment call than I would on a situation like this because I always have my foot on the gas. It's time for me to let go and let somebody else make a decision.

"I'm listening to them right now and trying to see where things go."

Coles knows how serious the concussion issue is because he watched one of his best friends in the game, Wayne Chrebet, have to retire after suffering one too many concussions and he has seen the adverse after-affects that have altered Chrebet's life since.

Eric Mangini was asked if he could allow Coles to talk him into letting him play.

"I don't make those decisions," Mangini said. "I go by what the doctors say and medical staff says. That's their expertise, and I defer to them on that.

"Once he's been cleared to play, then I make the decision moving forward with that information."

Earlier this season, when safety Erik Coleman suffered a concussion, the Jets held him out for one game.

"We look at each situa tion, each person uniquely," Man gini said. "We go through a very de tailed pro cess of evaluating these things and player safety is ex tremely impor tant to us."

If Coles, who has 42 catches for 473 yards and team-high six touchdowns, can't play Sunday, either Brad Smith or Justin McCareins would start. In preseason, McCareins had particularly good synergy with quarterback Kellen Clemens, who will be making his second NFL start.

Rookie DL Mike DeVito had a large wrap his right shoulder thanks to a bruising hit from FB Darian Barnes during a tackling drill Wednesday. Barnes' aggressiveness caused a bit of a stir at practice, upsetting some defensive players. He said he apologized to the defense and explained himself.

"The idea of the drill is for the runner to try and make the (defensive) guy miss and avoid the him and . . . I'm not an avoid guy," Barnes said. "I hit him, but that's not the drill and the defense got upset. . . . I went to the D-line and apologized for it.

"The idea is to take care of each other. We want to keep each other healthy."

After Barnes' hit on DeVito, NT Dewayne Robertson buried Barnes to the ground when the two of them faced each other in the drill, and on it went.

DeVito downplayed it.

"I've got to be more ready on the first shot. That was my fault," he said. "There are no problems between me and Darian. It was all in fun; it wasn't a serious deal, just joking around."

Backup OL Adrian Jones was excused from practice for the second consecutive day for personal reasons. . . . Redskins backup C Mike Pucillo (back) didn't participate in practice.

Jet signals point to rookie David Harris

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

Eric Mangini is moving forward with Kellen Clemens at quarterback this week. It'll be the second week of starting for the signal-caller on the other side of the ball.

With Jonathan Vilma sidelined for the remainder of the year, linebacker David Harris was forced into the starting lineup last week and the rookie responded with 17 tackles and one sack in a 13-3 home loss to the Bills.

Like Clemens on offense, Harris is in charge of relaying the defensive play calls into the huddle, and with just one outing he showed the potential that made the Jets trade up to snatch him in the second round of this year's draft.

"I've been pleased with his play," Mangini said yesterday. "Looking at him in college, the type of guy he is and knowing him not just as a person through talking to him, but through different people that have dealt with him, that's what we expected. He was the signal-caller in college. He had that role. He had a leadership position on the team so you would anticipate those things transferring to the next level."

While the rookie out of Michigan has yet to fully take on all of Vilma's responsibilities in the 3-4 defense, such as audibling out of set plays to adjust to offenses, Harris is responsible for relaying the defensive signals to his teammates on the field.

Veteran linebacker Eric Barton then can check out of a set play if he or safety Kerry Rhodes deems it appropriate. But Harris has shown right away that he can step in for Vilma, who was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.

"He did a good job," Rhodes said. "He was poised. We knew he could come out and play that way. He has played in the system for a while - he played it in college - and he knows the nuances of the defense. He came in and didn't let the lights get to him from his first actual start and came out and played pretty good."

Several veterans have praised Harris' mature demeanor and play. Just about the only guy who wasn't all that impressed with last Sunday's debut that also included one sack was Harris himself.

"I think I did OK," Harris said of his play. "There are some things I could have done better."

SORE SPOT: Laveranues Coles did not practice for the second straight day due to a concussion and said that his availability for Sunday's game against the Redskins will be up to the Jets' medical and coaching staffs. "That is something that they are talking about and you already know my answer when it comes to stuff like that," Coles said of wanting to play against his former team despite suffering his second concussion in less than a year. "But whatever decision they make is pretty much what I will go with." ... The Jets will invite 55 members from each branch of the military to practice today....Offensive lineman Adrian Jones was excused from practice for personal reasons.

November 1, 2007

Chad's Tune Keeps Jets Locker Room in Harmony

I can't recall when the conversation took place, but I remember talking to Pete Kendall, pre-divorce from the Jets, about dissension in the locker rooms of losing teams. The Jets never have been ripped apart by turmoil, not when Herm Edwards was the coach and not now.

Occasionally, a player will go on the record with a criticism (see Chris Baker), but for the most part, the Jets never get into public finger pointing. I asked Kendall why that's never happened on the Jets, and he nodded toward Chad Pennington

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

November 2, 2007

: Laveranues Coles said if it were up to him, he would be playing Sunday.

"What's best for L.C. ain't what's on my mind right now," said the Jets receiver, who suffered a concussion and was knocked cold against the Bills last weekend. But Coles also said that because of his attitude - the "foot on the gas" mentality that makes him universally regarded as one of the NFL's toughest players - he's leaving this decision up to others.

"Whatever decision they make is pretty much what I'm going to go with," Coles said of the Jets' medical staff, which is evaluating his progress. "Right now it's time for me to just let go and let somebody else make a decision and hope things work out for the best."

Coles missed a second day of practice yesterday and is unlikely to dress for the Redskins game, but he said he has not yet been handed a decision on his availability. He has started 104 straight games and played in 107 dating to his rookie year with the Jets in 2000. He has 42 receptions for 473 yards and six touchdowns this season.

Coles said his family has voiced its concern over his second concussion in 10 months. He was knocked out by Zach Thomas against the Dolphins on Christmas Day last year but returned to that game and played the following week.

"The people that are close to me, who I love the most, have let me know their opinion and what they think," Coles said. "Your family always cares about you. You could chip a toenail and they'd be concerned."

Jet streams

Coach Eric Mangini said he saw no difference in Wednesday's practice in regard to the change at quarterback. "That's what I anticipated," he said of the business-as-usual vibe. "I guess I wasn't really looking for anything but that." ... The mother and brother of Patchogue product and Medal of Honor winner Michael P. Murphy will serve as honorary captains for the Jets on Sunday. Murphy, a Navy SEAL, was killed in Afghanistan in June 2005 ... About 55 members of the armed services have been invited to watch the Jets' practice today as part of the build-up for Military Appreciation Day on Sunday.

God bless our troops. Thanks to them for a job well-done.

GM Tannenbaum finds positives in 1-7 Jets

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

November 2, 2007

The Jets may be 1-7, but that's only one-seventh of what's going on.

So said general manager Mike Tannenbaum earlier this week, assessing his team's progress halfway through what so far has been a forgettable season.

"It's a performance-based business and obviously we're not happy sitting here at 1-7," Tannenbaum said. "But there have been some positives. We haven't seen them on the scoreboard on Sundays, but there are some things going on Monday through Saturday that I'm encouraged by. I'm happy where the program is."

Where it is right now is an apparent crossroads. Kellen Clemens will start at quarterback Sunday, rookies such as Darrelle Revis and David Harris are starting, and when asked to name some of the positives he is seeing, Tannenbaum pointed to the progress of Abram Elam, Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Jacob Bender. None of the players in this paragraph was with the Jets before Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini took over after the 2005 season.

With some unproductive veterans and former key players sidelined either by injury (Jonathan Vilma) or tactical decision (Chad Pennington), there's a chance that the Jets' roster will have a dramatically different makeup in 2008. The Jets brought back 21 of 22 starters at the beginning of this season, but it's a lot easier to overhaul a roster after a losing season than one that was capped by a surprising playoff appearance.

"I think we're building the right way and we have the right types of people who are here," Tannenbaum said, the word "building" jumping out as a nod to the team's youth.

While Mangini's focus always seems to be on the next game, it's the general manager's job to keep an eye on the big picture. So it goes without saying that Tannenbaum had at least some voice in the decision to play Clemens.

"Mike and I discuss all decisions," Mangini said when asked about Tannenbaum's input on the quarterbacks. "Whether it's that decision or other decisions, we discuss the team each night. That's a consistent practice for us."

"We bounce ideas off each other all the time, and certainly we talked about this as well," Tannenbaum said. "Eric's a very good consensus-builder in that he lets a lot of people have input from his entire staff."

And the final decision?

"Who ultimately plays is going to be up to Eric as the head coach," Tannenbaum said.

Who wears a Jets uniform ultimately is up to Tannenbaum, and he said there are "probably 12 to 18 questions that I'm going to answer mentally before I make a move."

He said it's most important to have a vision for the player from an organizational standpoint, a philosophy he learned from Bill Parcells. As he's learning this season, that vision doesn't always play out.

"Obviously when you have so many moving parts, not every situation is going to work out exactly as you thought," Tannenbaum said.

Tannenbaum also discussed several other topics of recent interest with the Jets. Among them:

The signing of Elam, whose 2003 conviction for sexual battery while playing at Notre Dame would seem to preclude him from the "character" players the Jets say they are looking for. "Obviously, there were some issues that happened earlier in his career and Steve [Yarnell, the Jets' director of security] did a lot of work on him and said he was a good person and what happened was aberrational," Tannenbaum said. "We gave Abram an opportunity, and to his credit, he's taken advantage of it."

The feelings of Jets owner Woody Johnson during this losing streak. "Woody's been great," he said. "He's been very supportive in what we're trying to accomplish here."

Tannenbaum called the decision to put Vilma on season-ending IR "a very collaborative process" between the organization, doctors, Vilma and his agent, Mitch Frankel. "The result we landed on was a unanimous one and one we all felt good about."

And on Thomas Jones, for whom he traded during the offseason but who has seemed to some to be under-used, Tannenbaum said he likes what Jones has brought. "I think over the course of the 16-game season, we'll see the complete player that he is," he said.

Sunday

Redskins at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 5

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

Bender could play vs. 'Skins

Friday, November 02, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets, who aren't happy with the play of their offensive line, have been giving rookie guard/tackle Jacob Bender reps at right tackle this week and he could receive some playing time against the Redskins on Sunday.

At the very least, Bender will likely dress, with backup tackle Adrian Jones having missed the past two days of practice because of a death in his family. Veteran Anthony Clement is the starter at right tackle.

Also, reserve guard Will Montgomery has been working at left guard and he too could be closing in on playing time as starter Adrien Clarke has struggled.

Bender, a sixth-round pick out of Nichols State who was thought to be the Jets' opening day starter at left guard, was active for the first time last week and played on the field goal team. He grew up in the Washington D.C. area suburb of Mayo, Md., and was a big Redskins fan. His parents and several family members will attend the game.

"That would be awesome if I could dress and play against the Redskins," Bender said yesterday. "I was looking at some pictures in my home and I have all these pictures with me wearing a Redskins sweatshirt with my family. I was like, 'Man, I'm going to be playing against these dudes on Sunday.' It's awesome."

Rookie LB David Harris, who was credited with 17 tackles and a sack against the Bills in his first NFL start for an injured Jonathan Vilma (knee), is a man of few words but makes big hits.

"He doesn't talk much but he'll knock you out," said S Kerry Rhodes. "He's definitely a head-hunter. He's one of those silent assassin types."

Said coach Eric Mangini: "You wouldn't realize what a thumper he was just by meeting him."

FB Darian Barnes and the Jets defensive line have put Wednesday's heated exchanges behind them. Tempers flared during a one-on-one tackling drill when Barnes plowed into rookie free agent DT Mike Devito head-first twice, injuring Devito's shoulder the second time.

"The idea of the drill is for the runner to make the guy miss," Barnes said. "What happened was I was going to make a move and at 255 pounds, I wasn't moving anywhere so I hit (Devito). They (the defensive linemen) got upset ... and I went crazy. I just lost sight of the drill. I apologized."

Said Devito: "There's never any hard feelings between me and Darian. I should've been expecting that on the first one. It's a tackling drill in full pads."

Yesterday, Barnes and the defensive line were laughing and joking during the same drill.

Several defensive players said the Jets were much more aggressive against the Bills because they were tipped off by some of the Bills' tendencies and attacked them. They said they don't know if they'll be as aggressive against the Redskins.

Sunday will be Military Appreciation Day at Giants Stadium. The Jets have invited 55 members of the military from all branches to attend practice.

Concussion-prone Coles will err on side of caution

Friday, November 02, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Ask just about any NFL coach or player to name the five toughest players in the league, and chances are Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles will be on the list. Name an injury, and odds are Coles has had it and played through it. He has started 104 consecutive games, the most for any wide receiver in the NFL.

That streak is about to end.

Though the Jets haven't made an official announcement, Coles, who sat out his second straight practice with a concussion yesterday, will almost certainly not play against the Redskins on Sunday at Giants Stadium. He wants to play, but the team doctors will likely shut him down. It's Coles' second concussion in 10 months.

In the past, Coles would be lobbying hard to play, perhaps even hiding the injury from doctors. But after suffering a concussion on Christmas night last season against the Dolphins on a helmet-to-helmet hit by Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas -- the Jets never listed it as such -- and having taken countless vicious hits over the course of his eight-year career, Coles has decided to leave it up to the doctors.

Last season, he was in a fog for two weeks after the Dolphins game but continued to play.

"That is something that they (the doctors) are talking about," Coles said yesterday before practice. "You already know my answer when it comes to stuff like that. (But) I'm going to let them make the decision this time. I tell myself now that I'm not going to fight it. Whatever decision they make is pretty much what I'm going to go with. I haven't had a decision handed down to me yet.

"The people that are closest to me and that I love the most are pretty much letting me know their opinion. They'll make a better judgment call than I would on a situation like this because I always have my foot on the gas. It's time for me to let go and let somebody else make a decision."

Concussions, however, are a hot-button issue in the NFL these days, and Coles' pal, former Jets wide receiver Wayne Chrebet, was forced to retire following the 2005 season because of repeated concussions. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell held a symposium during the summer to draw more attention to head injuries following the controversy surrounding retired players and their struggles with post-concussion syndrome.

Jets safety Erik Coleman suffered a concussion against the Bills in Week 4 and didn't play against the Giants the following week.

With Coles, coach Eric Mangini said he'll defer to the doctors as well. Although he refused to say it, the organization is undoubtedly watching Coles more closely given his history and will err on the side of caution. During the first 30 minutes of practice open to the media yesterday, Coles and Mangini spent much of the time standing together and talking.

Coles, who has 42 catches for 473 yards and a team-leading six TDs, was injured in the fourth quarter when he leaped to catch a Chad Pennington pass for 13 yards and was slammed to the turf head-first by Bills CB Terrence McGee. Coles laid on the turf for several minutes before walking off under his own power. He didn't return to the game.

Coles, who turns 30 next month, seemed fine after the game and spoke to reporters. This week, he has been alert and hasn't shown any outward signs of a concussion.

"I haven't gotten to that point yet where I need to do what is best for Laveranues because I'm not a selfish person," Coles said. "What's best for Laveranues isn't what is on my mind right now."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Posted by Bob Bullock November 01, 2007 9:29PM

Categories: News

There is a very good chance that Kellen Clemens will have to play Sunday without one of the team's biggest offensive weapons. It is looking very likely that Laveranues Coles will be sitting out this week with a concussion. That is not good news for the young Clemens, who is looking to make the best of his second NFL start.

Clemens has been trying very hard this week to get some chemistry with his wide receivers. Having Coles sitting out certainly isn't helping. He will need as many reps as possible with these guys so the passing game can click right away.

A receiver that will be a major factor with Coles being out is Justin McCareins. Yes, the same guy who dropped a potential game-tying touchdown pass TWICE against Baltimore the last time Clemens started a game. It does seem like Clemens goes to McCareins a lot though, probably because they were on the field with the second-team together quite a bit.

"He knows where I'm going to be and I understand how he's going to throw the ball," said McCareins.

That's great Justin, now just learn how to hold onto the ball and everything will work out fine.

It does seem like the offensive players like to play with Clemens. I think he brings an excitement to the offense. We certainly know there has been very little to be excited about to this point.

"He's always had that confidence about him - I call it a quiet swagger," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said yesterday. "That's good. You have to have that as a quarterback. You have to be confident. That's one of the things he possesses."

Tight end Chris Baker, who could be used more by Clemens, also likes what he sees from the young QB.

"Confidence is always a good thing for a quarterback to have because you've got 10 guys in the huddle who feed off of that," Baker said. "We have definite confidence in him that he can go in and get the job done. Obviously, the coaches feel the same way."

It certainly sounds like these guys are ready to play with Clemens. I know they believe he can lead this team. It will be quite interesting to watch the chemistry develop between all of them on Sunday.

Post a comment | View comments (0)

Humble Harris getting rave reviews

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 2, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - David Harris graded his 17-tackle performance in his NFL starting debut as "OK." But veteran Jets defensive lineman Eric Hicks knows better.

"A lot of rookies go out there and show a lot of nerves, get flustered," Hicks said. "It's a lot of pressure for a young guy. David handled it admirably. He's an atypical-type rookie."

Harris has assumed not only a starting role but the defensive play-calling responsibilities with Jonathan Vilma out for the season with an injured right knee. The second-round pick out of Michigan will make his second start Sunday when the Jets (1-7) host the Redskins (4-3) at 1 p.m.

Hicks, in his 10th NFL season, estimated 5 percent of NFL rookies show the same type of on-field maturity as Harris did in Sunday's 13-3 loss to the Bills.

"He's our signal-caller when he's in there and people have to be able to see your eyes and you have to have their total attention," Hicks said. "Usually the offenses are coming out so fast and calls are coming out right as the ball is placed. You have to be calm, get the call from the sidelines and relay it in a manner that everybody hears it and understands it."

But it wasn't just Harris' cool in calling the plays or his first NFL sack or even the number of tackles he made that was so impressive. It was the speed he showed and the ferocity of his hits.

While still at Michigan, a myspace.com page was devoted to some of Harris' bigger hits.

"As a linebacker, you always want to be known as a hard hitter," Harris said. "I just try to go out and play the game and if people want to call me that, whatever. A tackle is a tackle."

Harris didn't necessarily slide right into Vilma's spot; veteran Eric Barton is assisting with the play-calling and actually taking many of Vilma's on-field assignments.

But there's little doubt that Harris, who played the 3-4 in college, looks much more comfortable in coach Eric Mangini's defense than Vilma did.

"He's doing a good job with it," Mangini said. "I think he understands exactly what he has to do. It's a process of really understanding your fit against the offensive linemen vs. the different running schemes. I like the way he's been building on the information since training camp. We saw a lot of that translate on Sunday."

Notes: Wide receiver Laveranues Coles (concussion) missed practice for a second straight day and it's unlikely he'll play Sunday. He said he won't challenge the team's decision even though he wants to play. ... Fullback Darian Barnes admitted he made a mistake driving his helmet into defensive lineman Mike DeVito's right shoulder in a tackling drill Wednesday. DeVito, a rookie who played in his first NFL game Sunday, has been limited in practice the last two days as a result. Barnes said part of it was frustration from being inactive Sunday. "Probably, subconsciously, that's what it was," Barnes said. "It's been too long, something just kind of clicked. I just kind of took the drill to a level it wasn't supposed to go. We cleared it up and it was completely my fault." ... Jets offensive lineman Adrian Jones missed practice for a second day to attend to family matters. ... Redskins right guard Randy Thomas (triceps) and offensive lineman Mike Pucillo (back) missed yesterday's practice.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com.

Ex-Jet filled with mixed emotions

Thursday, November 1, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Call it a perfect storm, NFL-style. Or better yet, a New England nor'easter.

No, this week has nothing to do with the Patriots. (That storm will come next month.) The Jets' game against Washington on Sunday will feature the return of Massachusetts native Pete Kendall, whose long contract dispute with the Jets was the major story in training camp during the summer.

And Kendall will blow into town just at the time the Jets are experiencing some problems at his old position, left guard.

Yes, Kendall is much happier than he was a few months ago due to his situation, not the Jets' 1-7 record.

"I thought that they were going to have a very good record," Kendall said Wednesday in a conference call. "I've seen probably three or four [Jets] games and I haven't seen a game yet where the team looked overmatched or outplayed. ... I don't look at that team on film, particularly as well as I know them, and think that they're a 1-7 team. That's what their record says, but to me [it doesn't indicate] the talent they have there."

One of the problems has been a lack of continuity on the offensive line after Kendall's departure. Left guard Adrien Clarke, thrust into the starting lineup on opening day 17 days after Kendall was traded to Washington, allowed two sacks in the Jets' 13-3 loss to Buffalo on Sunday and is in danger of losing his starting job.

"That's the definition of a trap question there, isn't it?" Kendall said when asked about the Jets' left guard situation. "Let's see if there are any other questions."

But when asked if he thought coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum had learned anything from their handling of the situation, Kendall told Jets Confidential magazine, "They're bright enough that they learn from every experience, good and bad. That doesn't mean I think they did anything poorly, but I bet they wish they had a mulligan."

Kendall, who was scheduled to make $1.7 million this year, wanted a raise of $1 million after reworking his contract for the Jets' benefit before the 2006 season. The Jets balked, and an unhappy Kendall told the media of his situation. If Kendall, who has started every game for Washington and solidified a trouble spot on the line, plays 80 percent of the Redskins' offensive snaps, the Jets will receive a fourth-round draft pick in 2009. Otherwise, it will be a fifth-round pick next year.

"My thoughts haven't really changed on the situation," Mangini said. "It worked out well for all the parties involved."

Certainly it did for Kendall, who got the raise he was seeking. Plus, his wife and three children have moved from Massachusetts to the Washington area, enabling Kendall to be "a full-time dad," as he put it.

"That has its up and downs," he said, laughing.

When Kendall was with Arizona, he played against his first team, Seattle. While with the Jets, he once faced the Cardinals. But he knows Sunday will be different.

"This one will be the most difficult," Kendall admitted. "Essentially, the guys that I will be playing against this weekend are the guys that I practiced against and spent time with off the field and in the locker room with since 2004.

"I don't know how I'm going to feel on Sunday," he added. "I feel a little bit excited at this point, but there is also this other emotion that I don't know how to express. I don't know if it's disappointment or whatever you might call it. It's definitely mixed emotions about the situation and going back and playing against my friends."

Concussion for Coles

WR Laveranues Coles didn't practice today, and the Jets said he has a concussion. It's very likely that the Jets will hold him out of the game against Washington on Sunday, particularly with a bye week on deck. Coles has started 104 consecutive regular-season games and has appeared in 107 straight. The last time he was inactive was when he was a healthy scratch Dec. 3, 2000 against the Colts in his rookie season.

Coles was understandably subdued today in the locker room, and not only because of his injury. He's very close friends with Chad Pennington, and it hurts him on a personal level to see Chad demoted.

Coles was on his first tour of duty with the Jets when Pennington was promoted in 2002 and Vinny Testaverde was demoted. And quite frankly, the quotes back then from the two QBs involved sounded remarkably similar to what Pennington and Kellen Clemens said Monday.

Vinny: 'I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm getting a raw deal because that will be the headline. Anybody in my position isn't happy about it. [but] understand that I don't want to be a distraction for this football team. I understand how the process works. When I was in Cleveland, I asked [bill] Belichick, 'why are you making me the scapegoat in all of this?' His words were: 'I can't change the left guard and get a spark. I have to change the quarterback to get something going.' That's the reality of the situation.'

Chad: 'Talk is cheap, so after today, there's not going to be any more talking. ... I'm not focused on how pretty it looks, how many completions I have, how many touchdown passes I throw. It's about putting points on the board and helping the Jets get a second win.'

Pennington helped lead the Jets to the playoffs. It's too late for Clemens to do that, but maybe he can engineer a turnaround, too.

For four quarters this Sunday, the Jets will get a chance to see up close something they've been missing in 2007.

The Jets' game against Washington (4-3) will feature the return of Pete Kendall, whose long contract dispute with the Jets was the major story in training camp during the summer.

And Kendall comes to town just at the time the Jets are experiencing some major problems at his old position, left guard.

Yes, Kendall is much happier than he was a few months ago, just because of his own situation, not the Jets' 1-7 record.

"I thought that they were going to have a very good record," Kendall said Wednesday in a conference call. "I've seen probably three or four (Jets) games and I haven't seen a game yet where the team looked overmatched or outplayed. ... I don't look at that team on film, particularly as well as I know them, and think that they're a 1-7 team. That's what their record says, but to me that's not the group of talent that they have there."

One of the Jets' problems has been a lack of continuity on the offensive line after Kendall's departure. Left guard Adrien Clarke, thrust into the starting lineup on opening day 17 days after Kendall was traded to Washington, allowed two sacks in the Jets' 13-3 loss to Buffalo on Sunday and is in danger of losing his starting job.

"That's the definition of a trap question there, isn't it," Kendall said when asked about the Jets' left guard situation. "Let's see if there are any other questions."

Coach Eric Mangini was just as evasive when asked if he would make a change at that position.

"We'll go through the course of the week like we always do," Mangini said, "and put together the best five."

Clarke realizes he and the other players always are being scrutinized.

"Regardless of if (Mangini) says it or not," Clarke said, "you know that's always happening."

When asked how he feels he's played this season, Clarke responded, "One and seven speaks for itself, and definitely there's always room for improvement. For myself, I'm never ever going to be satisfied regardless of if I have a good game or if you guys say I have a good game or you guys say I had a bad game."

Kendall, who was scheduled to make $1.7 million this year, wanted a raise of $1 million after reworking his contract for the Jets' benefit before the 2006 season. The Jets balked, and an unhappy Kendall told the media of his situation. If Kendall, who has started every game for Washington and solidified a trouble spot on the line, plays 80 percent of the Redskins' offensive snaps, the Jets will receive a fourth-round draft pick in 2009. Otherwise, it will be a fifth-round pick next year.

"My thoughts haven't really changed on the situation," Mangini said. "It worked out well for all the parties involved."

Certainly it did for Kendall, who got the raise he was seeking. Plus, his wife and three children have moved from Massachusetts to the Washington area, enabling Kendall to be "a full-time dad," as he put it.

"That has its up and downs," he said, laughing.

When Kendall was with Arizona, he played against his first team, Seattle. While with the Jets, he once faced the Cardinals. But he knows Sunday will be different.

"This one will be the most difficult," Kendall said. "Essentially, the guys that I will be playing against this weekend are the guys that I practiced against and spent time with off the field and in the locker room with since 2004.

"I don't know how I'm going to feel on Sunday. I feel a little bit excited at this point, but there is also this other emotion that I don't know how to express. I don't know if it's disappointment or whatever you might call it. It's definitely mixed emotions about the situation and going back and playing against my friends."

SERIES HISTORY: 9th meeting. Redskins lead series, 7-1. The teams haven't met since a Thursday night season opener in 2003, when the host Redskins beat the Jets, 16-13, on a 33-yard field goal by former Jet John Hall, who was one of four Washington players who had come over as free agents from the Jets during that offseason. Another of them was Laveranues Coles, who had five receptions for 106 yards. Coles was traded back to the Jets before the 2005 season.

NOTES, QUOTES

—WR Laveranues Coles sat out practice Wednesday because of a concussion suffered when he was slammed to the turf by Buffalo's Terrence McGee on Sunday. Coles wore green sweats and a Jets cap during the portion of practice that media members are allowed to watch.

Coles also suffered what was believed to be a concussion last Christmas after a hard hit by Miami's Zach Thomas.

It was a tough week for Coles to begin with, seeing his close friend Chad Pennington demoted.

"You hate that something like this happens to someone that you truly care about," Coles said, "and somebody who you know has put time and work into everything he's done. I will always support him no matter what. He's my friend. ... However he feels, I'm with him. I roll with the guy."

—Washington coach Joe Gibbs was asked about Coles, a former Redskin who clashed with the Hall of Fame coach during the 2004 season. "I think Laveranues is one of the toughest guys and best competitors I've ever been around," Gibbs said. "As a receiver, he is very talented. Our situation here is one that didn't work out for the best. I wish it would have."

Coles downplayed it, saying Washington is "just a former team."

—LB Jonathan Vilma, on injured reserve with a knee injury, still is considering surgery. He denied rumors that he was unhappy with the decision to place him on injured reserve.

"We're all in agreement," he said, referring to himself and the Jets' organization, "that getting put on IR was the best decision, not only for this season but for long term."

Vilma's contract expires after next season, but he said that subject hasn't come up yet with the organization.

"We haven't even gotten to that point," he said. "Right now, we're worried about me getting better, getting ready for next year and being able to practice and play with the team again. ... If I'm here, I'm here. I'm going to play 110 percent. If not, we'll part ways and keep moving forward."

—Rookie LG Jacob Bender, who could start against Washington if Adrien Clarke is demoted, was active for the first time this season against Buffalo. He was in for one play, Mike Nugent's 27-yard field goal.

"It was a good feeling to be out there," he said. "Unfortunately, they didn't rush to my side, so I didn't get to hit anybody."

BY THE NUMBERS: 7.0 — Average number of yards per pass attempt by QB Kellen Clemens in his one previous start. Former starter Chad Pennington is averaging 6.9 per attempt.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "There's no specific position or individuals to blame. We're in this together." — WR Justin McCareins, on the Jets' 1-7 record.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The loss of LB Jonathan Vilma to a season-ending knee injury forced the Jets to start rookie David Harris for the first time. He was impressive in his starting debut against Buffalo, contributing a team-high 17 tackles and one sack.

Abram Elam now has started two consecutive games at free safety. The Jets like his aggressiveness, but sometimes he can be a little too aggressive. Elam committed a key unnecessary roughness penalty in the fourth quarter and was yanked from the Cincinnati game. Against Buffalo, he collided with CB Darrelle Revis while trying to tackle Lee Evans. Revis, who was struggling with Evans for the ball, was knocked down by Elam, allowing Evans to coast in for an 85-yard score.

Hank Poteat has started two consecutive games at right cornerback and appears to have taken David Barrett's place there.

PLAYER PERSONNEL NOTES

—FS Eric Smith (hamstring) practiced full Thursday. Smith has seen his playing time dwindle since missing a key tackle on Philadelphia's lone touchdown on Oct. 14.

—QB Chad Pennington (ankle) practiced full Thursday. He now is the backup to Kellen Clemens.

—OL Adrian Jones missed practice Thursday for the second straight day, because of personal reasons.

—WR Laveranues Coles (concussion) didn't practice Thursday and his status for this game is uncertain. This is believed to be Coles' second concussion in 10 months.

—WR Justin McCareins had his first reception since Sept. 23 when he caught an 18-yarder against Buffalo. McCareins or Brad Smith would start if Laveranues Coles (concussion) sits out against Washington.

—DE Mike DeVito injured his shoulder trying to tackle FB Darian Barnes during a drill Wednesday. DeVito finished the workout but was limited.

GAME PLAN: The Jets hope that the insertion of Kellen Clemens at quarterback will enable them to take more shots downfield, thus opening up the running game for Thomas Jones. Clemens displayed a good chemistry with Jerricho Cotchery in his start against Baltimore in September. On defense, the Jets probably will send a lot of blitzes at Washington QB Jason Campbell, just as they did against Buffalo's Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman in the previous game. LB David Harris helped contain Buffalo RB Marshawn Lynch and will be asked to do the same to Washington RB Clinton Portis, who has struggled recently.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Jets WR Jerricho Cotchery vs. Redskins CB Shawn Springs — Cotchery quickly got on the same page with QB Kellen Clemens when Clemens started in Week 2 against Baltimore. Cotchery had seven receptions for 165 yards in that game, including catches of 50 and 44 yards in the fourth quarter in which he evaded tackles and made numerous yards after the reception. With Laveranues Coles (concussion) likely not to play, Cotchery figures to get the bulk of the receiving load.

Redskins TE Chris Cooley vs. Jets SS Kerry Rhodes — Cooley has 23 receptions this season, but nine for 105 yards and a touchdown came against Green Bay on Oct. 14. The Jets had trouble covering Baltimore's Todd Heap, a similar player to Cooley. Heap had seven receptions for 76 yards, including a 37-yarder and a 4-yard touchdown, in the Ravens' 20-13 victory on Sept. 16. Cooley has had one touchdown reception in five of the last six games.

INJURY IMPACT: WR Laveranues Coles (concussion) seems likely to miss this game, which would create more opportunities for both Brad Smith and Justin McCareins. TE Chris Baker (back) returned to action last week and appears to be fairly healthy, even though he still is practicing on a limited basis.

Archived