NY Jets News Articles 11/ 16

Kentucky Jet

TIME FOR PHYSICAL- NY POST

RUGGED STEELERS TOUGH TEST FOR JETS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 16, 2007 -- The Jets' mindset as they brace for the Steelers Sunday at Giants Stadium should be as simple as this: Get physical.

The Steelers, from their No. 1-ranked defense to their quarterback who doubles as a linebacker to their top receiver who doubles as an assassin in cleats, are widely considered the most physical team in the NFL.

Teams that play the 7-2 Steelers on Sundays know they're going to be extra sore on Mondays.

"You're in for a long day when you play those guys, and you understand that," Eric Mangini said yesterday.

"They've got guys on that team with bad intentions," Justin McCareins said. "They have that mentality about them. Teams get an identity and you know when you play them, it's going to be a physical game and they're going to come hit you. It's the way they play.

"You need to bring that into it yourself - step up your physicality for the game and not be waiting to get hit. Go out there and hit them in the mouth before they hit you. Those are fun games to be a part of."

That might be debatable by about 7 p.m. Sunday.

"They're a physical team in all three phases of the game," linebacker David Bowens said. "Because they're so physical, if we can hit with those guys our chances of winning goes up. You've got to be physical with them. Don't take any mess and man up. It's time to man up."

Leon Washington talked about counteracting the Steelers' physical style by "spending more time in the weight room this week."

Kerry Rhodes, however, said the players can't prepare for this game by making a change during the week.

"It's more a mentality," Rhodes said. "You can't go out and try in one week try to be more physical. You've got to match it in the game. Oh yeah, they're physical. They've got the players to do that. Those are the types of players they want and that's the system they run."

Laveranues Coles said the Steelers play with some reckless abandon.

"I don't know what word to use," Coles said. "You can say relentless, tough, physical, de ter mined. . . . You've al most got to throw crazy in there with the way they fly around. They're almost careless the way they throw their bodies around and fly to the ball.

"I'll tell you what: It's a tough task, but fun, a true test for me to see how well I can go out and play against a tough defense."

The Steelers' defense leads most defensive categories.

Pittsburgh is ranked No. 1 in yards allowed per game (229.4) and is ranked No. 1 in fewest yards per play (4.2). It is also No. 1 in rushing yards allowed per game (72.0), No. 1 in net passing yards allowed per game (157.4), No. 1 in fewest first downs allowed per game (13.4), No. 1 in fewest first downs allowed (121), and No. 1 in fewest points allowed per game (14).

"They do a great job of just getting after it," Jerricho Cotchery said. "They get after it the entire game. All 11 guys fly around the entire game. When you have guys flying around like that and making plays, it can cause a lot of havoc.

"You have to be patient and take care of the ball. Playing a defense like this, you're very limited, so you don't want to do anything that causes you to get out of whack because they can cause problems."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Rookie CB Darrelle Revis heard the pre-draft buzz, how the Steelers were supposedly targeting him with the 15th pick. Made sense, considering he grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., and played at Pitt. But the Jets heard it, too, and they traded up to the 14th spot, ruining any chance of a local-kid-stays-home story.

Revis got friendly with several Steelers because Pitt shares a facility with them on the city's south side. He's particularly close with NT Casey Hampton and WR Santonio Holmes. "I've seen a lot of those guys coming in and out of practice," Revis said yesterday. "It's going to be a fun game."

HEADSTRONG: WR Laveranues Coles, cleared to play after missing the last game with a concussion, said he's not concerned about sustaining another blow to the head. "I can't play with hesitation," said Coles, whose streak of 107 consecutive games was snapped two weeks ago. "When you play tentatively, that's when things start happening to you." Coles has suffered at least two documented concussions in the last 10 months.... If the Jets have an advantage over the Steelers, it could be on kickoff returns. Leon Washington leads the league with three touchdowns, and the Steelers, who allowed a 100-yard TD return last week to the Browns' Joshua Cribbs, are ranked 27th in kickoff coverage. "I don't see those guys struggling," Washington said. "They're getting guys in position to make plays, but for some reason, they're not making them."

Three and out: Jets not a good 4th-quarter team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

The Jets are a terrible fourth-quarter team. They know it and their opponents know it.

After beating them two weeks ago, the Redskins' Clinton Portis all but mocked the Jets, saying that for the first time in his career he actually "felt good" about his team's chances even when it trailed by 14 points.

That stinging remark still resonates in the Jets' locker room. The truth hurts.

"The fourth quarter is something that, as a team, we haven't come to grips with yet," fullback Darian Barnes said yesterday.

Putting their own twist on the old Andy Warhol line, the Jets (1-8) routinely turn the fourth quarter into their 15 minutes of infamy. They've been outscored 91-38, the second-largest deficit in the NFL. They're on pace to become the worst fourth-quarter team in franchise history, which says a lot.

During the bye week, Eric Mangini analyzed the problem, trying to figure out a solution. He studied everything from conditioning to scheme to deployment of personnel. He hinted that he may give certain starters more rest earlier in the game, keeping them fresh for the fourth quarter.

"You look at playing time, how you're using the 45 guys on the roster," said Mangini, who can start to apply his post-bye formula on Sunday against the Steelers (7-2) at the Meadowlands. "Are you bringing guys to the game that are contributing meaningful plays to allow the starters a chance to be consistent over the course of the four quarters?"

So maybe Mangini will tweak his rotations. Maybe he'll try to run the ball more often in the fourth quarter, reducing the chance of turnovers. The Jets have a minus-8 turnover margin in the final quarter, including five interceptions by deposed starter Chad Pennington. That could mean more work for Thomas Jones, who has only 31 carries for 101 yards in the fateful fourth.

Because of the turnovers and defensive breakdowns and questionable play calling and general ineptitude, the Jets have blown three fourth-quarter leads in the last five games, and they're 1-5 in games decided by seven or fewer points.

The question is, why do they turn to mush in crunch time? Kerry Rhodes, pondering the thought, shrugged his shoulders.

"I have no idea," the veteran safety said. "You can look at it a lot of different ways. You could say we're tired, mentally tired and physically tired. You could say we're just getting outplayed. You could say anything. It's tough to put a finger on it."

Barnes said the Jets must learn to "match our intensity in each quarter and not get into a lull, which is what happens to us. Collectively, not everybody is all there when we all need to be."

Fatigue could be an issue. Mangini is known for his physically demanding practices, which could cause tired legs on Sunday. Privately, some players believe that is a factor. Mangini doesn't subscribe to that theory, which isn't a surprise. "I feel pretty comfortable with the conditioning," he said. "We do quite a bit of work, and the players spend time in between periods where they will run on their own."

They adhered to the same practice schedule last season and finished 10-6. But, contrary to popular belief, the Jets weren't a good fourth-quarter team. They were outscored 116-88, although they went 5-3 in games decided by a touchdown or less.

At their current pace, the Jets would eclipse the fourth-quarter futility of their infamous ancestors from 1996. That year, the fourth-quarter deficit was 77 points. They finished 1-15, the kind of history you don't want to remember.

Coles Will Play Sunday

Posted by Bob Bullock November 15, 2007 8:52PM

Categories: Player news

Attention, Attention, we actually have some GOOD news to report regarding the New York Jets. Wide Receiver Laveranues Coles will be back in the lineup on Sunday as the Jets hit the field against the Steelers. Coles missed the team's last game against Washington due to a concussion. He is a weapon the Jets will definitely need this weekend.

"You never know how important something is until you face certain situations in your life," Coles said. "I realized how much I love the game of football and I'm ready to get back out there and start playing."

It will be especially nice to have Coles back for Jets' quarterback Kellen Clemens, who will certainly need all the help he can get going against the tough Steelers "D". Clemens will need to be very active in the pocket, as the Steelers will be blitzing as soon as they get off the bus. Getting Thomas Jones involved will be a key too, as it always is. This time though, they will need to continue to use him for the entire game.

The Steelers offense is trying to convince themselves that the Jets' defense really isn't that bad. Reading some of their quotes is really kind of amusing.

"I think the Jets are better than Cleveland on defense," said Steelers right tackle Willie Colon. "From the outside looking in, people might say, 'Oh, the Steelers are going to kill them because of their running attack and the (Jets') lack of defense, but people play their best when it comes to us. They show up, they don't want to get embarrassed. They don't want anybody walking into their hometown and doing whatever."

"We just look at the strengths and weaknesses, rather than won-lost records," Ben Roethlisberger said. "On paper and on the field, they're a totally different team."

I only wish they were a totally different team on the field.

PITTSBURGH REUNION FOR ROOKIE REVIS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 16, 2007 -- Darrelle Revis has been walking around the Jets locker room all week wearing his grey-hooded "Pitt Football" sweatshirt.

Revis grew up outside of Pittsburgh following the Steelers and went to the University of Pittsburgh, which shared the same facility with the Steelers. Revis' alma mater plays at Rutgers tomorrow.

Now the Jets rookie No. 1 draft pick cornerback is readying for his first NFL game against the Steelers Sunday at Giants Stadium.

"I watched them when I was growing up and supported them," Revis said yesterday. "At Pitt, we shared the same facilities (with the Steelers), so I've seen a lot of those guys coming in and out of practice. I'm friends with a lot of them. It's going to be a fun game."

Among the Steelers players Revis is friends with include defensive tackle Casey Hampton, safety Anthony Smith and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, one of the players he will be covering Sunday.

Revis is tied for the team lead in tackles with 58 with a team-leading 50 solo tackles and he has one interception. There have been ups and downs in this first year with a couple of long TD passes yielded being the low points.

"I'm still learning, I'm still young," he said. "It's great that the coaches put me in early so I could experience a lot of things, so the next time they come around I will be ready for them."

Eric Mangini said he likes the way Revis is progressing.

"He gets better every week," Mangini said. "What I really like about Darrelle is when you correct him on something and then you watch the tape that day, (you can see) he's trying to do it the way you asked him to do it."

Jets FB Stacey Tutt was added to the injury list yesterday, practicing on a limited basis because of a knee injury. For the Steelers, RB Willie Parker, who didn't practice Wednesday with a hip injury, returned to practice yesterday as did LB Andre Frazier (groin). LB LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) didn't practice.

Mangini, along with Bill Parcells and a number of other celebrities from the sports world were guests at last night's 11th Annual Dr. Theodore A. Atlas Dinner in Staten Island.

Teddy Atlas, a renown boxing trainer, ESPN boxing analyst and also a member of Mangini's Jets staff, conducts the annual fund-raising dinner in memory of his father to help out the less fortunate.

"It's a very grass roots effort with everyone volunteering and the funds go directly to the people in need," Mangini said. "Teddy does a lot of great work through his foundation. (On Wednesday) in my office I had Curtis (Martin), Teddy and Michael Moorer, the former heavyweight champion, and we were talking about offensive line technique.

"Teddy was showing Curtis how to jab and Michael was demonstrating it. It was a pretty impressive group of athletes. I was obviously bringing up the rear significantly. It was fun to watch."

Jets ready for smashmouth Steelers

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 16, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - The musical chant blared from the loudspeakers across the turf practice field at Hofstra as the Jets stretched yesterday - "Dee-fense, dee-fense, dee-fense."

Motivational reminder or just a forlorn plea?

The Jets (1-8) host Pittsburgh (7-2) Sunday at 4:05 p.m. and there's nothing secretive nor subtle about the Steelers' attack - they are going to run Willie Parker into the heart of the defense.

"Nothing has changed, basically they're just changing their personnel over the years," Jets defensive end Eric Hicks said. "They don't change their coordinators, so not only is it the same system, but it's the same way you hear it from year to year. It's almost like a tradition you can pass down."

On paper, this looks like a mismatch.

The 5-foot-10, 209-pound Parker leads the AFC and is second in the NFL with 873 yards and two touchdowns on 212 carries. He returned to practice yesterday after missing Wednesday's session with a hip injury.

The Jets' run defense is ranked 32nd in the NFL, allowing opponents an average of 152.2 yards per game.

"We've just got to go in and take it to them," Parker told reporters in Pittsburgh. "Don't let up and keep the foot on the gas and keep going."

The 27-year-old Parker, who rushed for a career-high 1,494 yards last season, has a scary combination of physicality, speed and on-field vision. Plus, he's equally adept running inside or toward the sidelines.

Jets linebacker David Bowens said Parker's best attribute is his breakaway speed when he gets through a hole and past the linebackers.

"They have multiple blocking schemes," Bowens said. "The key is to recognize it fast and have everybody where they're supposed to be."

If the Jets could do that, it would represent a marked turnaround from their first nine games.

Stopping Parker and the Steelers is the first test.

Notes: Jets fullback Stacy Tutt hurt his right knee early in practice and was listed as limited. ... Steelers running back Gary Russell, left tackle Marvel Smith and wide receiver Hines Ward all returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday because of non-injury-related decisions. ... Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis was raised in Aliquippa, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh but wasn't necessarily a Steelers fan growing up. "I supported them," Revis said. "My uncle (Sean Gilbert) was in the NFL when I was growing up so whatever team he played for was my favorite team.'' Gilbert, who played for the Rams, Redskins, Panthers and Raiders, is not among the six people who requested tickets from Revis. "Everybody else is buying their own tickets and coming up," he said.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at

Defending Big Ben will be a challenge for Jets

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

November 16, 2007

When Ben Roethlisberger first came into the league, his primary job was to not screw things up. He passed when he had to, scrambled when he needed to, but for the most part, his responsibility was to hand the ball off and let the Steelers' defense do its thing. The team won a Super Bowl in his second season with almost that recipe.

Now, however, instead of staying out of the way, Roethlisberger has become an integral part of Pittsburgh's success. He's matured and has become a more complete player. He roared into the league as Big Ben. Now he's even Better Ben.

"A lot of the ways he can hurt you, those haven't changed," said Jets linebacker Matt Chatham, who played on a New England team that knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs in Roethlisberger's rookie year. "He's dangerous when he gets out of the pocket; he's a very creative type of guy. The fact that his completion percentages keep going up and he's nearly mistake-free, he's playing at a real efficient level, that's something he's continued to get better at."

The Jets have to be concerned about a lot when it comes to Sunday's game. Their run defense is the worst in the league and they're facing a team with the NFL's second-leading rusher and the second-most carries. Their offense, with Kellen Clemens starting only his third game, will be going against a defense that leads the league in all of the critical categories. But it's the play of Roethlisberger that seems to have the Jets most anxious.

"It's always difficult with a guy like him because of his size and his strength," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of the 6-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger's ability to bounce off defensive linemen or linebackers and make plays. "Once he shakes them off, everything changes."

That's why one of the Jets' keys in slowing down the Steelers will be for the cornerbacks to maintain their coverage after the initial play breaks down. Most of Pittsburgh's highlight-reel plays this season have come on seemingly busted plays in which Roethlisberger eludes a sack, rolls out and fires deep.

"A lot of times on film, guys will break off and you see them catch the ball and you're like, 'How'd that happen?'" Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis said.

Even veteran corner Hank Poteat said it's a major concern, and likened it to the preparation for the Eagles a few weeks ago. Then, however, Donovan McNabb was in no physical shape to be extending plays. Roethlisberger, who ran 30 yards for a score to ignite the Steelers' fourth-comeback against the Browns last week, suffers no such handicap.

"A lot of times, defenses are built for a certain amount of time," Poteat said. "The receivers and the quarterback have a chemistry going on, they understand that when he rotates out of the pocket either way, they have route adjustments. Once you're in good position, you tend to look at the quarterback because you think the ball is coming. But they're already on the same page and once we start to look, they extend their route somewhere else and you're in a bind."

As if the Jets' defense weren't bad enough, now it has an extra layer to be concerned with. "It's not just your standard defense," Mangini said. "It's the defense and then the defense after the play extends which is so important against them."

Sunday

Steelers at Jets

4:05 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050), WABC (770), WRCN (103.9)

Kickoffs: Jets get positive returns

Friday, November 16, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- When Pro Bowl kick returner Justin Miller suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2 against the Baltimore Ravens, it could have been the first real indication this Jets season was headed south.

A couple of months later, Leon Washington has made sure the return game isn't among the list of shortcomings -- a new one has been exposed nearly every week -- that have added up to the Jets' 1-8 start.

In fact, Washington has been one of the team's few bright spots, and if he keeps running back kickoffs the way he has to this point, he might follow Miller with a trip of his own to Hawaii. He leads the NFL in kickoff returns, averaging 33.5 yards per attempt and has returned three for touchdowns -- one of just 11 players in league history to do so in one season.

"I certainly don't want to see anybody get injured, but my immediate thought was what can I do to make Leon a Pro Bowler," said Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff. "Leon was Justin's lead blocker, and we were never afraid if a team would kick the ball to him."

Washington, a speedy, slippery dynamo at 5-8 and 202 pounds, had six returns for 79 yards last season. This season, he has raced 86 yards for a score against Washington and twice gone 98 yards for touchdowns against the Dolphins and Giants. The NFL single-season record for kickoff returns for touchdowns is four, set by the Packers' Travis Williams (1967) and the Bears' Cecil Turner (1970).

He has a fair chance to join Williams and Turner on Sunday when the Jets play the Steelers (7-2) at Giants Stadium. Pittsburgh ranks 27th in the NFL in kickoff coverage and last week allowed returns of 90 yards (to the 3 yard line) and 100 yards for a touchdown to the Browns' Joshua Cribbs.

Though Washington would trade any of his returns for wins, tying or setting an NFL record would be rewarding.

"You always dream," said Washington. "You want to dream big. Whenever I get the ball in my hands, I feel like I have an opportunity to score a touchdown. The guys do a real good job of blocking. I do the easy part."

Added tight end/special teamer Chris Baker: "You know if you do your job, you can get a touchdown on any given play. Leon always makes the right reads and the right cuts."

As for Miller, Washington said, "He's been cheering for me. He tells me that every time I take one back, he's about to hurt his knee again because he's jumping up and down."

Westhoff, in his 25th NFL season, is the brains of the operation. Since joining the Jets in 2001, the team has an NFL-high 10 kickoff returns for touchdowns, including two by Miller last season. Westhoff began his NFL coaching career as an offensive line coach and says his background on offense is the basis for his philosophy on kickoff returns.

"I try to treat my returns as similarly as I can to a running play on offense, and I use the same language that an offensive line coach or offensive coordinator would use," Westhoff said.

It's a language Washington, a running back, understands.

"That's the way I envision my returns," Washington said. "It's like the offensive line is in front of me and I'm reading the zone blocking. It's a plus for me. ... Coach Westhoff puts the game in perspective where we understand it. Guys love playing for him. You want to make a play for him because he makes it so much fun."

In practice, Westhoff's voice cuts through the air like a tight spiral as he barks orders. Tough love and a passion for special teams has been his recipe for success all these years.

"This is something I really enjoy," Westhoff said. "The creativity involved is something I take a lot of pride in. I spend endless hours drawing these (returns) up. If you see my office, I have papers all over the place. I study what the others do and try to learn."

And teach.

"Coach Westhoff is the best in the business," Baker said. "He has obviously done great things here. He has guys thinking right and performing. That's why we're able to get things done."

Notes: RB Stacy Tutt injured his knee in practice. His status for Sunday is unknown. ... Steelers RB Willie Parker (hip) practiced full yesterday. ... The Steelers haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 34 games, dating back to Week 12 in 2005, when then-Colts RB Edgerrin James rushed for 124 yards.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Some trades help both teams. Some help one and hurt the other.

And then there are others that leave everyone feeling unsatisfied.

In March, the Jets traded the 37th overall draft pick to Chicago for the No. 63 overall pick (both second-rounders) and running back Thomas Jones. It was believed, at that time, that the acquisition of Jones, who totaled 2,545 yards rushing in 2005-06, would be a significant upgrade for the Jets. They had used a running-back-by-committee approach in 2006 after Curtis Martin suffered a degenerative bone-on-bone condition in his right knee, forcing him from the field and leading to his eventual retirement.

For the Bears, the trade would allow them to promote Cedric Benson, their first-round pick in 2005, to the starting lineup.

So what's happened since then? Well, Benson has been a bust for Chicago (4-5). His 3.0-yard average per carry is the worst of any NFL running back with at least 100 attempts.

But Jones isn't exactly thriving, either. Although he is 11th in the NFL in rushing with 606 yards, he's averaging only 3.8 per carry. He had averaged at least 4.0 yards per carry each of the last four seasons.

Jones will try to improve those numbers when the Jets (1-8) host Pittsburgh (7-2) on Sunday. But the Steelers are tops in the NFL against the run, and are allowing only 3.7 yards a carry.

Part of the problem with the Jets is Jones' misuse.

Jones is averaging 17.8 carries over the first nine games after averaging 18.5 in his final season with the Bears. And while one fewer carry per game might not seem that significant, consider how that figure has come about.

In some games, Jones has gotten 24 or 25 carries. In other games, he's gotten 12 or 13. Primary running backs are called "featured" backs for a reason. So why not feature Jones more often?

It's also interesting to note that Jones' only two 100-yard games of 2007 have come with blocking back Darian Barnes active and in the lineup. Barnes also blocked for Jones in 2003, when both were with Tampa Bay. Jones recorded a career-high 4.6 yards per carry that season. Yet Barnes has been inactive for four games.

Sometimes in the NFL, you have to dispense with the trickery and gimmicks and just line up and beat the other team off the ball. Of course, maybe the Jets just aren't equipped to do that, and thus Eric Mangini & Co. understandably feel the need to try to fool people. Still, it would be nice to see the Jets try to dictate the offensive pace more often, instead of always trying to react to what the defense is doing.

When asked why Jones' average isn't higher, Mangini said, "You see that with different backs around the league and you see that with different teams around the league where you think the average should be higher, but if you don't have each side, each person and each element working together, then you can't have the consistency.

"You're always looking for consistency in the running game," the coach added. "It even comes down to the perimeter blocking, being able to turn those eight-yard runs into 30-yard runs. Those dramatically shift averages."

SERIES HISTORY: 18th meeting. Steelers lead series, 15-2. That figure doesn't count the last meeting, in the 2004 AFC playoffs. Pittsburgh won, 20-17 on Jeff Reed's 33-yard field goal in overtime. Jets kicker Doug Brien missed field-goal attempts from 47 and 43 yards in the final two minutes of regulation, forcing overtime. The Jets built a 17-10 fourth-quarter lead without an offensive touchdown, as Santana Moss scored on a 75-yard punt return and Reggie Tongue had an 86-yard interception return for a TD. In their last meeting at the Meadowlands in Dec. 2003, Curtis Martin rushed for 174 yards on 30 carries in the Jets' 6-0 victory in a snowstorm. The now-retired Martin, a Pittsburgh native, will be honored by the Jets at halftime.

NOTES, QUOTES

Clinton Portis all but mocked the Jets, saying that for the first time in his career he actually "felt good" about his team's chances even when it trailed by 14 points.

that's what I've been saying-I never saw a team have tp play catch-up with a lead before this year's version of the NY Football Jets

Archived