Fix the bullpen. Thats the #1 Priority for the Yanks.

Barton

Forget trading for a "frontline" pitcher. We tried it, we offered our best pitching prospect, and it was not enough. Time to move on.

Our bullpen is the biggest hole right now. We have no dependable 7th inning or 8th inning guy. If we can acquire someone like Valverde from Arizona, or Nathan fron the Twins at a reasonable cost, it should be looked into. Going into the season w/Kyle Farnsworth as your 8th inning guy and/or counting on a young prospect like Melancon or Sanchez to contribute greatly is a disaster waiting to happen. And with Hughes and Joba on innings limits the success or failure of the bullpen will be critical. Our bullpen in 2008 has to be very good, it cant just be decent, it has to be VERY GOOD or even GREAT because our young starters arent going to be able to go 6 or 7 innings each time out.

No more patchwork bullpens.

Forget trading for a "frontline" pitcher. We tried it, we offered our best pitching prospect, and it was not enough. Time to move on.

Our bullpen is the biggest hole right now. We have no dependable 7th inning or 8th inning guy. If we can acquire someone like Valverde from Arizona, or Nathan fron the Twins at a reasonable cost, it should be looked into. Going into the season w/Kyle Farnsworth as your 8th inning guy and/or counting on a young prospect like Melancon or Sanchez to contribute greatly is a disaster waiting to happen. And with Hughes and Joba on innings limits the success or failure of the bullpen will be critical. Our bullpen in 2008 has to be very good, it cant just be decent, it has to be VERY GOOD or even GREAT because our young starters arent going to be able to go 6 or 7 innings each time out.

No more patchwork bullpens.

Both would be expensive and I think Nathan can walk after next season and surely wants to close.

With Pettitte back I wonder if Joba makes more sense as the 8th inning guy for another year. I think he's a ACE in waiting but with Wang-Andy-Hughes-Kennedy and Moose you could go with Joba in the pen again.

At least you have options where the Mets look to be stuck with only minor upgrades to their starting staff available to them....at least until the trade deadline. Need Pelfrey to be the real deal.

Yankees would not offer more than Kennedy+ for that batch. Maybe not even Kennedy.

Where would Bay play? Abreu/Matsui/Damon in the OF and Gimabi/Shelly playing 1B and DHing. Unless Bay can play CF.

That would be a TERRIBLE trade.

Snell's a fifth starter, if that, in the AL and the Pirates nearly traded Bay for crap two days ago.

No he's not. Pirates get killed in that deal as Bay is a star who had a off year last season while Snell is showing signs of being a above average pitcher.

No he's not. Pirates get killed in that deal as Bay is a star who had a off year last season while Snell is showing signs of being a above average pitcher.

Agreed..while the deal wouldn't make sense because the OF would be cluttered...Snell and Bay would be very good additions to most rosters in MLB.

This deal would allow the Yankees to consider (consider, not definitely do) a deal involving Damon.

I think even without that deal the Yanks would deal Damon. Let Melky take his spot and send his declining skills elsewhere. I'm sure they'd have to pick up a portion of his contract but probably worth as long as some team doesn't expect them to pay the majority of it.

Ian Snell has a 4.40 career ERA in the NL and is not better than any of the Yankees current staff. Hughes is going to be twice the pitcher he is.

Ian Snell has a 4.40 career ERA in the NL and is not better than any of the Yankees current staff. Hughes is going to be twice the pitcher he is.

I think he has found his form. You are disregarding the fact that Bay is also mentioned in the deal and he's a guy that prior to nagging injuries last season was a 30-100-100 guy who hits close to .300 with no protection in his line-up. Snell would win 13-15 games on the Yanks and Bay could drive in 130 runs.

I think he has found his form. You are disregarding the fact that Bay is also mentioned in the deal and he's a guy that prior to nagging injuries last season was a 30-100-100 guy who hits close to .300 with no protection in his line-up. Snell would win 13-15 games on the Yanks and Bay could drive in 130 runs.

Shh....

Every Yankee and Yankee prospect is awesome, and everyone else just sucks.

The Yankees already have four outfielders, probably all three of whom are untradeable due to their contracts. Where are they going to play Bay? I don't know what you or anyone sees in Snell, and especially because the Yankees have 6 starters right now and more that will be able to step in in case of injuries. Snell will be no more than a 4th-5th starter with the Yankees while Hughes has the possibility to be MUCH more. You don't trade a potential 1-2 starter plus other top prospects for a 4th-5th starter, a set-up man, and an OF coming off a terrible year.

Archived