NY JETS News Articles 1/5

Kentucky Jet

The Dude is unavailable

By Tom Rock- Newsday

Well, at least the Jets had their eye on a guy who wasn't so bad that he had to be fired by the Raiders.

"Turns out that Rob Ryan won't be available to the Jets or to anyone else. He'll remain with the Raiders despite reports that he would get the axe.

The recent conjecture regarding the removal of Rob Ryan is incorrect and the constant barrage of rumors is irresponsible," Raiders PR guy Mike Taylor said (you talkin' to me?). "The Raiders organization stated that the speculation that Rob Ryan will be relieved of his duties should stop."

Anyway, this doesn't exactly leave Bob Sutton sitting pretty. He's still on the hot seat. It just means that Mangini won't be able to bring Rob Ryan in.

Hmmm. Dom Capers is suddenly available. And Sutton does have some Parcells DNA. Maybe an unofficial D.C. swap with the Dolphins?

Posted by Tom Rock on January 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Permalink

Sigh of relief for Gang Green faithful

Joe K reflects on the season he wishes never happened

By Joe Kanakaraj / SNY.tv

Rookie Darrelle Revis was one of the lone bright spots of the Jets' 2007 season. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

Jets fans, it's finally over. I cannot express how grateful I am that I don't have to endure another Sunday lashing. From day one, nothing went right for the Jets. Here's a look at some of the "low-lights" of the year:

The quarterback carousel -- By Week 4, it was pretty obvious that the season was going down the tubes. They Jets needed a big win against the Bills and Chad threw a game-losing pick to ice it. Shortly after, critics (even me) started calling for Kellen Clemens, who played decently against Baltimore in Week 2. Clemens eventually took over in Week 9 against Washington, and for the rest of the season sported the worst passer rating in the NFL.

The Pete Kendall debacle -- the Jets decided they were going to get cute this offseason and play hardball with Pete Kendall. We all know what happened, so I won't bother rehashing it, but letting him go to Washington sent the offensive line into shambles. There were rumors that Jacob Bender would be starting, but he never saw the light of day. Adriane Clark slipped into left guard and did an awful job for the entire season. In fact, no one played well on the line at all. Last year, we saw a lot of promise from Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

The injury bug bites -- No really, it bites when you lose some of your best players to season-ending injuries. This season, the Jets lost two captains, both Jontathan Vilma and Laveranues Coles, to season-ending injuries. The two of them also might have seen their last days in the Green and White.

Close, but no cigar -- The Jets lost 7 games this year by fewer than 7 points. Seriously, read that again. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it. Those were all games that came down to poor execution on their end. If they win, say, four of those games, this team goes 8-8. Wins like that build momentum, which the Jets ran out of in Week 4 during a three point loss to the Bills.

Gate D debacle -- Don't get me wrong, I'm all for naked chicks, but there's a time and place, and the time and the place is NOT halftime at Gate D in Giants Stadium. Jets fans just made the team look awful for their pathetic behavior and cruel nature towards women. Women shouldn't have to go to a game and feel they need to hide behind their boyfriends. Hopefully, this problem gets solved soon.

Herm Bowl 2008 -- Herm Edwards made his triumphant (of sorts) return to the Meadowlands in Week 17 to end the season. Both the Jets and Herm's Chiefs were sitting at 3-11, and basically whoever lost got the right to the No. 3 overall pick. The Jets, who are in desperate need at multiple positions, really needed the loss. Lets face it, with the No. 3 on the line, who cares if you beat the Chiefs to improve 4-12? The Jets of course win this game (mockingly, in overtime, none the less) and now have the No. 6 overall. It basically assures them that they have no shot to get either Darren McFadden or Chris Long.

I will end this on a high-note, though. If anyone deserves a pat on the back, it's going to be David Harris and Derrelle Revis. Both rookies had a fantastic season, and I think Jets fans are pretty excited to see what they can do next year.

Folks, here's to us going 8-8 in 2008!

Friday, January 4

THREE FOR THE SHOW

By John Oehser - Colts.com

Three Double-Digit Victory Teams Could Make AFC South Playoff-Ready

INDIANAPOLIS - Tony Dungy was almost through talking.

This was Monday, at his weekly next-day press conference at the Colts' practice facility, and the Colts' Head Coach had covered most of the day's topics.

He had addressed many of the factors around the Colts' sixth consecutive postseason appearance. He talked about the advantages and disadvantages of a first-round playoff bye, and about the Colts' mindset entering the postseason. Then, he addressed something about which he had felt strongly all season:

The Colts

The Dude is unavailable

By Tom Rock- Newsday

Well, at least the Jets had their eye on a guy who wasn't so bad that he had to be fired by the Raiders.

"Turns out that Rob Ryan won't be available to the Jets or to anyone else. He'll remain with the Raiders despite reports that he would get the axe.

The recent conjecture regarding the removal of Rob Ryan is incorrect and the constant barrage of rumors is irresponsible," Raiders PR guy Mike Taylor said (you talkin' to me?). "The Raiders organization stated that the speculation that Rob Ryan will be relieved of his duties should stop."

Anyway, this doesn't exactly leave Bob Sutton sitting pretty. He's still on the hot seat. It just means that Mangini won't be able to bring Rob Ryan in.

Hmmm. Dom Capers is suddenly available. And Sutton does have some Parcells DNA. Maybe an unofficial D.C. swap with the Dolphins?

Posted by Tom Rock on January 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Permalink

my guess is rob ryan stil lcoming,,just later or at a draft pick compensation,,

as usual Jets played this like bufoons,,they should have told Ryan to keep his yap shut and trhe Jets should have not 'leaked' out thier interest..

Davis is just pissed that he looks like a tool by firing a guy who is hired 2 nanoseconds later..

When Raiders fired Shell in 2006 same thing happened,,they denied then pulled trigger 2 weeks later,,Davius doent like the press to be right before he pulls switch,,he will play this out to satisfy his ego...

my guess is rob ryan stil lcoming,,just later or at a draft pick compensation,,

as usual Jets played this like bufoons,,they should have told Ryan to keep his yap shut and trhe Jets should have not 'leaked' out thier interest..

Davis is just pissed that he looks like a tool by firing a guy who is hired 2 nanoseconds later..

When Raiders fired Shell in 2006 same thing happened,,they denied then pulled trigger 2 weeks later,,Davius doent like the press to be right before he pulls switch,,he will play this out to satisfy his ego...

Great points!

Archived