The Official Talk Football To Make IrishJet Happy Thread

Maxman

There are too many sports in the USA.

No room for soccer just like there wasnt any room for the USFL and numerous other rogue Pro Football leagues that tried to compete with MLB, Basketball, NASCAR and Hockey. Futhermore, World Cup Soccer competes for a Champion ever 4 years.

Attendance is way down 28%.

http://mysoccerblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/attendance-numbers-for-opening-2007.html

Where I live the MLS Soccer teams plays in a 80,000 seat stadium and the average attendance per 2007 game was 16,000? Yeah, that sport is really taking off.

Soccer sucks.

There are too many sports in the USA.

No room for soccer just like there wasnt any room for the USFL and numerous other rogue Pro Football leagues that tried to compete with MLB, Basketball, NASCAR and Hockey. Futhermore, World Cup Soccer competes for a Champion ever 4 years.

Attendance is way down 28%.

http://mysoccerblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/attendance-numbers-for-opening-2007.html

Where I live the MLS Soccer teams plays in a 80,000 seat stadium and the average attendance per 2007 game was 16,000? Yeah, that sport is really taking off.

Soccer sucks.

I think another factor is the newness of it. For example, you've got the New York Red Bulls. How long have they been in existence? These teams have to build up a fan base from scratch. 16,000 isn't that bad considering, with one borderline example, the league doesn't have any real world stars.

Most soccer fans in the US already follow European/South American teams and they're not about to switch their loyalty just like that. Their kids though? Who knows.

one thing i love about soccer is that you can play it for your whole life. I haven't come across too many men's over 40 leagues strapping on their pads for some tackle football.

Sure they have flag football, but anyone that plays that is a homo. :biggrin:

Soccer keeps me in shape, and the way their defenses work are a lot like football, there is a ton of strategy in it. I think the US doesn't like it because they need a commercial break every 30 seconds, or have to be able to tweek the rules of the game to ensure there are 50 points a game to make sure the people that don't even watch sports read about it.

Archived