You Play Jets GM

Smizzy

This is a 3 part question....

A) What worked in 2007

B) What didn't work in 2007

C) What you would like to see the Jets do in the offseason

You play the Jets GM and tell us who you keep,who you cut/trade and who you target this offseason(FA /Draft) to make the Jets a better franchise in 2008.

A) What worked in 2007;

-The one thing that stood out after the first couple weeks was most definately the STs and how leon stepped right in for Justin Miller. This was probably 20% personel and 80% Westhoff and thats being very generous to the players. The talent scouting seems to be doing quite well; Revis came right in and became arguably the best Rookie CB in the league while missing all of training camp. His numbers were a bit skewed in my mind; his tackles were a bit high and will be lowered if our run d picks up, but its nice to know that he can step in and be physical without getting injured. His ints were down, but that was mostly because teams started throwing away from him, however his hands are going to need some work (he dropped atleast 3 and 1 was a gauranteed pick 6). Revis also showed his ability to man up on some of the best recievers toward the end of the season and leads us to beleive that he'll be able to be in the upper tier of man corners. His play against TO comes to mind, disregarding the late td.

Mangini and the defensive coaching staff showed a few games where they were able to outscheme the opponent; the pitt game comes to mind.

Obviously playing harris worked out well for us. I liked the idea of using Ellis as an OLB on certain run heavy teams. I like seeing creative looks on defense; i also enjoyed the resurgent play of David Bowens. I liked the finding of abram elam; i beleive his play towards the end was a big reason for kerry rhodes having a very succesfull 2nd half of the season. Elam is excellent in run support, however he does have a tendency to overpursue the runner and is still a bit stiff in coverage, but he is definately a starting safety.

Things on offense i enjoyed; not much. Seriousyl though, leon washington was great as always and there were times when i thought the Oline was comming around. Dbrick played a great first half the year but I'm pretty sure clarkes play really hindered his progress towards the end of the year. When given the opportunity the oline did seem like they were able to get into a rhythm, but considerable upgrades need to be made at the LG and RT position.

-A lot. Our offensive line is the first and most glaring aspect that comes to mind. I am going to say even a decent starter at LG will show drastic improvements. The pass protection was poor and let up far too many sacks (LG & RT) however a number of the sacks can be placed on Clemens as well. There were a lot of times that clemens was not where he was supposed to be; ex. 5 step drop and he was at 6 steps or 7 etc. A lot of that will come with reps and of course and improved oline. An improved oline will also allow Chris baker (arguably the best hands on the team) to stop chipping the DE and actually go out for pass routes.

The play calling!! It was absolutely terrible. Lining up 7 yards behing the line of scrimmage and running the ball EVERYTIME! Taking away the play action, which was onf of pennys best attributes ( i think his is top 5 in the league..peyton being my favorite). Those stupid draw plays with leon and TJ that get stuffed 9 out of 10 times. Using the same type of playbook for Clemens that you would use for Penny.

Obviously the kendel situation. I know both mangini and tanny know they made a mistake and i don't expect that to happen again.

I like brad smith a lot, but i don't like him as a primary reciever, yet. I think he would be a good #4 reciever, but i just don't like him as a starting #3, his hands are reliable enough for me. I am hoping that his routes and hands will get better and i would like to see Stuckey beat him out. I saw a lot of promise in stuckey.

-I am not going to predict any trades, so that means i'm assuming Coles, Chad, Vilma and Drob are going to still be with the team.

1) First and foremost I would give Rhodes and extenstion. He has proven he wasnt a one year wonder and has put up two fantastic seasons in a row.

2) Free Agency - Sign Stacey Andrews. Promise him the moon and a mill more than anyone else is offering, this gives us a few options, which i will get back to later.

Make a play for Jake Scott, Lilja or Womack and if not possible than that's fine. I say it is fine because Stacey Andrews has the ability to play both LG & RT. We can now go into the draft looking to find the best value at RT or LG; Gosder Cherilus (who i really like), Chris williams, Carl Nicks (who i love) or Branden Albert and Roy Scheuning. Thus, by signing Andrews, he not only gives us a young great LG/RT, but he gives us flexibility going into the draft, which won't make us reach for anyone.

I would like to take a look Bryant Johnson and Ernest wilford. Both are good recievers who can be groomed to be a #2 for when coles leaves and if cotch ever becomes a #1. Would be a great redzone threat, but not someone to break the bank over; just a nice addition.

I've always been a big proponent for getting Shaun Rogers; I can understand the hesitation, but I feel if he wants to play he can be dominant; thats a big IF though.

Draft - I have always been a huge proponent of Vernon Gholston and will remain so. I have chris long and Gholston as 1 and 2 on our big board.

2) I like the value of RT in this draft as i said before and I think the top of the 2nd could be a good place for it. However, there will be good RT value in the middle to end of the 2nd so it all depends on the value and the combine.

3) Branden Albert/Roy Sheuning. Of course this all depends on if we get a LG in FA or a RT prior to this pick. If so, than we'll have to reavlue this pick of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Frank Okam/Red Bryant here for our pick.

4)Ahtyba Ruben looked very stout at the POA during the few practices he attended at the senior bowl and i think he could be a good addition.

5)Jonathan Goff - 6-3 240 (prolly 235) and runs something liek a 4.7 i beleive. Has pretty good ability to shed blockers and plays with a nasty streak.

Obviously things will shake up after the combine, but it's a start.

A) What worked in 2007

- Hard to tell... things were not running on all cylinders so its tough to judge... I think the RB's are OK and Kerry Rhodes is good... almost every other position should be looked at seriously...

- Mangini & the FO (and other coaches)

- Most of the players in Mangini's system

- Fire mangini

- Hire a good coach and a good defensive coach

- Get some talented young players on the team... not just boy scouts...

1. Jerricho Cotchery.

2. Um? Everything else.

3. With alot of cap space available, this is a good time to make an impact on the free agent market. Not star quality impact, but a hybrid good-quantity impact. By that I mean, avoid the list of Top 10 FAs available, unless you can bait the Browns into giving up Anderson or Quinn. Sign as many mid-priced FAs as possible. Shore-up both of your lines and LBers with quality depth. If you get Anderson, jettison (i.e. trade) Chad. If you get Brady, jettison Clemens. Phins want to move down, move up to their position and take Long, Long or Dorsey.

1. Jerricho Cotchery.

2. Um? Everything else.

3. With alot of cap space available, this is a good time to make an impact on the free agent market. Not star quality impact, but a hybrid good-quantity impact. By that I mean, avoid the list of Top 10 FAs available, unless you can bait the Browns into giving up Anderson or Quinn. Sign as many mid-priced FAs as possible. Shore-up both of your lines and LBers with quality depth. If you get Anderson, jettison (i.e. trade) Chad. If you get Brady, jettison Clemens. Phins want to move down, move up to their position and take Long, Long or Dorsey.

I have to disagree with just about all of that. Anderson?? He is only good when he got all day to throw and even than half his throws were terrible and were caught because he has Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. Brady Quin is jsut as unproven as Clemens.

I agree you have to shore up the oline, but you aren't going to do that by trading away everything to the dolphins. We would roughly have to give up our first, second and next years first and plus sign him to 30+ million. All this for A) a right tackle who of course couldn't be had later in the draft. B) for dorsey who doesn't even fit our system, ie. look at drob 3) I like long, but hes not worth mortaging our future for.

What free agent linebackers would be able shore up our core?? Karlos dansby is the only one who comes to mind and he's going to be franchise tagged.

And i would imagine we could build our team up around Quin or Anderson (who im not sure what we gave up for them) with our 2nd round pick and next years first? oh waite we got rid of them for players who don't fit our system or blowing 30 mill on a RT. This isn't MADDEN 08, things like this don't work.

I think it all starts in the trenches.

I do what I can to bring in a guy like Jordan Gross and or a Stacey Andrews to shore up the OL. If you can bring one or both the entire offense becomes better. Holes open up more for Jones and Leon. Kellen has more than 1.2 seconds to take a snap, dropback, set up and throw.

If it were me I would blow up the entire DL. That includes Ellis, Thomas and D-Rob. Thomas has basically dissapeared again after getting a new deal. Ellis seems to show up only when he is playing for a contract and D-Rob, well is D-Rob a JAG. Now knowing that that most likely won't be done if their is an impact player at #6 in the draft I grab him. If not then I would look to trade down and see if I can pick up an extra pick.

I would have fired Sutton probably about 10 minutes after the final game. For whatever reason it seems since 2001 the Jets D starts the around week 8. Unacceptable. With the debacle going on in Washington right now I would seriously take a look at a Greg Williams (if he doesn't get a head coaching job) and offer him the DC position.

DL, OL and a long ball threat at WR. A type of WR the Jets haven't had since Wesley Walker.

This is a 3 part question....

A) What worked in 2007

You play the Jets GM and tell us who you keep,who you cut/trade and who you target this offseason(FA /Draft) to make the Jets a better franchise in 2008.

A) The defensive backfield, the LB's to a certain extent, the QB's and RB's get a N/A because of the play of the OL.

B) OL, DL, and to a certain extent some of the WR's.

C) With lots of cap room I would like to avoid the top 10 free agents and pounce on a bunch of middle tier free agents the second free agency starts. I would like to see the Jets go after Jordan Gross who would be a bottom tier top 10 free agent as far as I can tell. With Dallas wanting to trade down I would look into moving up and selecting Dorsey with the top pick. He would sure up the NT spot in a rotation with Pouha and bring in others to compete for the 3rd and 4th spots. Try to trade or restructure D Rob. If not he would be a backup or in a rotation at DE or NT. The rest of the draft could be used to get a RB, LB and other OL and WR's for competition. Trade Chad and even Coles - but only if you can get a second rounder or higher. Also Sutton should be replaced so long as the replacement is a worthy long term solution.

I have to disagree with just about all of that. Anderson?? He is only good when he got all day to throw and even than half his throws were terrible and were caught because he has Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. Brady Quin is jsut as unproven as Clemens.

I agree you have to shore up the oline, but you aren't going to do that by trading away everything to the dolphins. We would roughly have to give up our first, second and next years first and plus sign him to 30+ million. All this for A) a right tackle who of course couldn't be had later in the draft. B) for dorsey who doesn't even fit our system, ie. look at drob 3) I like long, but hes not worth mortaging our future for.

What free agent linebackers would be able shore up our core?? Karlos dansby is the only one who comes to mind and he's going to be franchise tagged.

And i would imagine we could build our team up around Quin or Anderson (who im not sure what we gave up for them) with our 2nd round pick and next years first? oh waite we got rid of them for players who don't fit our system or blowing 30 mill on a RT. This isn't MADDEN 08, things like this don't work.

Anderson is worse then Chad how?

Anderson still has room to improve. He will be 25 this summer. Or you get Quinn, who while unproven, does have room to improve compared to Chad.

I was leaning towards Long also. My intent was to sign over 10 FAs to augment the talent you have now. You couple that with the talent on hand and having a ton of draft picks will not be a priority.

I choose to try and reuild on the go.

Anderson is worse then Chad how?

Anderson still has room to improve. He will be 25 this summer. Or you get Quinn, who while unproven, does have room to improve compared to Chad.

I was leaning towards Long also. My intent was to sign over 10 FAs to augment the talent you have now. You couple that with the talent on hand and having a ton of draft picks will not be a priority.

I choose to try and reuild on the go.

I never said anderson was worse than chad, but i still don't like him at all. If you've watched him play he's had the luxury of having a very good offensive line and two extremely talented and very tall recievers. K2 and braylon, coupled with their offensive line make anderson look a lot better than he is. When he was on the run and not given time his throws were extrmeely erratic; therefor putting him behind our oline would make him terrible. Yes he is young and has time to develop, but so does clemens. Signing 10 free agents?? I will admit I want to really bring in Stacy Andrews and a lilja, scott, womack etc. but 10 free agents is a bit silly. Are there 10 free agents that could actually fit our team? I would rather keep our 1st and 2nd this year as well as next years first rather than grab a bunch of guys who don't seem to fit our team. I would really like to see the 10 free agents you would rather have than our draft picks??

Besides the oline help, which we can do without mortgaging draftpicks, i don't see many playesr we are going to be able to select. High odds are that dansby is franchised, nnamdi is franchised or signed, albert is franchised or signed, suggs is most likely not going anywhere..The only guys i think could benefit this team are the oline help and possibly bringing in a Bryant Johnons, Ernest Wilford etc. I really don't see any other linebackers that could shore up our team. I would be very interested to see who you propose our front office sign.

Archived