Cashman and Yankees

Scott Dierking

It is interesting, from my perspective, what the Yankees are doing with Cashman-Making him wait before they might extend him.

It is almost as if, they have to wait and see if the Cashman direction (build from within, through the draft) will really workand if it can be a winner.

That is a shame, again, from my perspective. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that teh Yankees could feel some growing pains this year. That is not a prediction, but just a possibility. Like any other club.

And if we are to believe the Hank murmurs, that will mean that Cashman is not retained. That would be a downright shame. Because someone else will step into the Yankee skipper helm and and inherit a wealth of a team with a great core nucleus of young players and 60 million in payroll to help shape that club. All of that will be the spoils of teh Cashman era.

He has positioned the Yankees unlike any prior Yankee GM. Although, the prior GM's had major interference. Cashman also had the major advantage of being able to infuse money into the farm system and position the draft unlike most other teams.

As an admitted anti-Yankee faction, I have to admit to admire the work that Cashman has done, even with his advantages. He has been the anti-Yankee Yankee.

It is interesting, from my perspective, what the Yankees are doing with Cashman-Making him wait before they might extend him.

It is almost as if, they have to wait and see if the Cashman direction (build from within, through the draft) will really workand if it can be a winner.

That is a shame, again, from my perspective. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that teh Yankees could feel some growing pains this year. That is not a prediction, but just a possibility. Like any other club.

And if we are to believe the Hank murmurs, that will mean that Cashman is not retained. That would be a downright shame. Because someone else will step into the Yankee skipper helm and and inherit a wealth of a team with a great core nucleus of young players and 60 million in payroll to help shape that club. All of that will be the spoils of teh Cashman era.

He has positioned the Yankees unlike any prior Yankee GM. Although, the prior GM's had major interference. Cashman also had the major advantage of being able to infuse money into the farm system and position the draft unlike most other teams.

As an admitted anti-Yankee faction, I have to admit to admire the work that Cashman has done, even with his advantages. He has been the anti-Yankee Yankee.

I'll tell you from perspective is that I am very concerned about the Cashman situation.

Now maybe that is from seeing the debacle George created in the 1980's but with Hank now apparently is charge and appearing to be a guy who likes to give quotes. There is a serious chance this team does not see the post season this year.

You have the Sox, Indians, Tigers, Angels, Yankees and most likely Seattle being the six teams in the AL competing for 4 post season spots.

With the Yanks apparently going with kids after Wang, Pettitte, (I'll put Mussina in there when he proves it) it would not surprise me in the least if they do not make the post season.

And if they don't...WATCH OUT. Then as a Yankee fan you should become VERY CONCERNED cause most likely Cashaman will be out and those great young arms like Joba, Hughes and Kennedy could very well end up on the market while the Yanks look for veteran pitching.

It is an uneasy time right now. The Yankee boat hasn't rocked like this since 1995 when Showalter left. So it will be intersting to see which direction this franchise goes.

I think waiting is the right thing to do. He has had the most money and hasn't gotten it done in awhile now (for the Yankees timeframes anyhow). Is he doing the right thing? Yes.

The Yankees not making the postseason at all this year would be bad. They can slug their way to 85 wins. They need 7 well pitched games throughout the season and they are in.

No need to rush. Cash will get paid if things go well.

I think waiting is the right thing to do. He has had the most money and hasn't gotten it done in awhile now (for the Yankees timeframes anyhow). Is he doing the right thing? Yes.

The Yankees not making the postseason at all this year would be bad. They can slug their way to 85 wins. They need 7 well pitched games throughout the season and they are in.

No need to rush. Cash will get paid if things go well.

Will he want to stay with the Yankees, is the question.

I don't know the man's ego.

The thing is that all these bright pitching prospects belong to the scouts and the one guy(can't remember his name)in particular.

Cashman has made horrific pitching decisions over the years both via free agency and trade wise. Not Kazmir like mind you, but bad just the same.

This is the first time he has decided to go with the kids with the exception of Wang and Cano who were no-brainers. Let's face it though, he was the big voice in saying no Hughes and then no Kennedy for Johan. He best be correct on that one and I think he likely will be at least in Hughes case. Phil can't go 8-10 with a 4.80 ERA this season for Cash's sake.

Will he want to stay with the Yankees, is the question.

I don't know the man's ego.

I agree.

I think this will all end up being Cashman's call. the offer will be there, and the money and length of contract will not be an issue. I do think that the level of authority will be an issue though.

If I was a betting man, I would bet he stays. The fact that he has been there since 1986 as an intern, and that he is very loyal, in general, will help convince Cashman to stay.

The thing is that all these bright pitching prospects belong to the scouts and the one guy(can't remember his name)in particular.

Damon Oppenheimer. But Damon is really the head scout, if you will. He pours over the records of the scouts in the fields, reads the reports and stats, and together with the assistants, puts together a draft board listing.

Cashman has final call on drafting a player, as all teams know what the financial parameters are before the draft is held. If Cashman did not have his authority in 2006, I doubt Kennedy would have been drafted. And some of the middle round over slot signings would not have taken place.

So Brian gets some credit.

Archived