Penguins get Hossa

CrazyCarl40

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3265859

Don't necessarily like it. Think we gave up too much for someone we probably cannot re-sign, but it does make us the favorites to win the Eastern Conference, I would think.

Also picked up Hal Gill for a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder.

I think they can squeeze him in, it's not like they are near the cap like other teams are.

Since when are you guys Penguins fans?

But this move will be a lot better for the Pens if they can re-sign Hossa, which won't be easy to do with all the money Crosby makes and all the money Malkin is going to make. It doesn't seem like the Pens have great depth on offense although when Crosby returns their first line is going to be damn good.

i can vouch for Carl being a Pens fan. we had a nice thread going last year about the Atlantic Division.

As for the pick up. Not sure it is what the Pens needed to get over the hump.

Don't see anyway how they are the favorite in the east though, not without a goaltender.

Devils didn't do anything to improve themselves at the deadline, which is rare for Lou, and I have zero confidence that Ottawa has the defesne or goalie to win it all.

East is wide open in my mind.

i can vouch for Carl being a Pens fan. we had a nice thread going last year about the Atlantic Division.

As for the pick up. Not sure it is what the Pens needed to get over the hump.

Don't see anyway how they are the favorite in the east though, not without a goaltender.

Devils didn't do anything to improve themselves at the deadline, which is rare for Lou, and I have zero confidence that Ottawa has the defesne or goalie to win it all.

East is wide open in my mind.

Definitely agree with you on the last sentence. There isn't one dominant team and the competition between the Atlantic and Northeast Division is going to be very intense. However the Southeast is mediocre.

And for the Pens, Ty Conklin has been a great find for them and he's really been doing a great job. They are going to have worry about offensive depth though, Crosby Malkin and Hossa can't play all 60 minutes.

Since when are you guys Penguins fans?

But this move will be a lot better for the Pens if they can re-sign Hossa, which won't be easy to do with all the money Crosby makes and all the money Malkin is going to make. It doesn't seem like the Pens have great depth on offense although when Crosby returns their first line is going to be damn good.

Since just about when I got interested in hockey. Been a Pens fan for life. Loved me some Tommy B, Kevin Stevens, Ronny Francis, the Samuelssons etc. Those Jaromir and Mario guys were ok too.

The only way this makes sense is to re-sign Hossa which is easier said than done when Malkin and Fleury have to be re-upped soon as well.

Hate to see Army and Crusher go, Esposito might be the best of the bunch, but this team is set well for a playoff run. Two full lines that can score now. Sykora-Malkin-Malone and Hossa-Crosby-whomever the heck they want to put there.

Toon-

Goaltending won't be a problem. Conks is continuing his great play (50 saves against the Isles tonight) and Fleury was the best player for the Pens in the postseason.

I think they are the odds on favorite right now because they solidified the blue line with Gill and got someone to play with Crosby who can finish.

They will have a lethal first line but balanced scoring is what will win come playoff time.

They will have 3 lines that will be able to score come playoff time.

Hossa-Crosby- (could be anyone here really)

Sykora-Malkin-Malone (doing all the damage since crosby has been out.

Kennedy-Staal-Taffe/Talbot/whomever (this line in interchangable but Staal has been coming on as of late)

Then you have LaRaque and Ruutu on the checking line to be pests.

They also solidifed the blue line with Gill and the net has been solid as well. I look for a long playoff run now.

You still need to play D and the Pens aren't very good at that.

Being 10th in GAA in the NHL is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, especially with the offensive firepower they have. And with the players they added (especially Gill and Dupuis) and Fleury coming back that number should go down even further and the PK percentage will get better as well.

Being 10th in GAA in the NHL is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, especially with the offensive firepower they have. And with the players they added (especially Gill and Dupuis) and Fleury coming back that number should go down even further and the PK percentage will get better as well.
Yeah it's ok, until you go up against a team that's 1st in GAA in the NHL. lol.

True, but for the Penguins to do that it would be against the Red Wings, which means Cup finals. Which would be awesome.
The problem is that you have to go through the devils and that won't go well for such an offense centered team. The Madden line shuts down the crosby line and you won't be able to score.

Hossa sprained his MCL reportedly. He is hrt but the MCL is a rimor. if true the pens went from runnign away with the east to the same team they had minus Armstrong, Christensen, and Esposito. But soon they add Crosby, so I say they'll be playing the same hockey they have been playing.

Archived