Riley may take over as Heat coach

faba

to coach Heat? Van Gundy hasn't heardESPN.com news services

Related Video:

Riley could become the Heat's new coach

With no commitment from Pat Riley -- and yet no emphatic denials -- speculation continues to mount that the team's president will take the reins from Stan Van Gundy and coach the Miami Heat next season.

"Pat Riley has indicated to Stan Van Gundy in reports I have received that he intends to return as coach of the Heat," ESPN analyst Dr. Jack Ramsay told the network on air Thursday. "I don't know where this leaves Stan Van Gundy, but I'm pretty certain that Riley will return as coach."

Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach and a former TV analyst for the Heat, indicated the coaching change is expected in the next week or two.

"I haven't heard anything," Van Gundy told the Miami Herald for Friday's editions, declining further comment. Van Gundy, who has two years remaining on his contract, said recently he would work for the Heat only as their head coach.

Ramsay said he spoke with Riley during the NBA playoffs, and Riley indicated that he missed the rush of coaching. Although Shaquille O'Neal reportedly was unhappy at not getting the ball in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Pistons, there has been no sign that Heat players have pushed for Van Gundy's ouster; in fact, according to the Herald, several players have privately expressed that Van Gundy remain coach.

In eight seasons as the Heat's coach, Riley's teams were 354-270 in the regular season and 18-25 in the playoffs. Riley won four championships with the Lakers and also coached the Knicks before joining the Heat in 1995.

Owner Micky Arison is not believed to have asked Riley to resume coaching the team, a high-ranking team official told the Herald.

to coach Heat? Van Gundy hasn't heardESPN.com news services

Related Video:

Riley could become the Heat's new coach

With no commitment from Pat Riley -- and yet no emphatic denials -- speculation continues to mount that the team's president will take the reins from Stan Van Gundy and coach the Miami Heat next season.

"Pat Riley has indicated to Stan Van Gundy in reports I have received that he intends to return as coach of the Heat," ESPN analyst Dr. Jack Ramsay told the network on air Thursday. "I don't know where this leaves Stan Van Gundy, but I'm pretty certain that Riley will return as coach."

Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach and a former TV analyst for the Heat, indicated the coaching change is expected in the next week or two.

"I haven't heard anything," Van Gundy told the Miami Herald for Friday's editions, declining further comment. Van Gundy, who has two years remaining on his contract, said recently he would work for the Heat only as their head coach.

Ramsay said he spoke with Riley during the NBA playoffs, and Riley indicated that he missed the rush of coaching. Although Shaquille O'Neal reportedly was unhappy at not getting the ball in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Pistons, there has been no sign that Heat players have pushed for Van Gundy's ouster; in fact, according to the Herald, several players have privately expressed that Van Gundy remain coach.

In eight seasons as the Heat's coach, Riley's teams were 354-270 in the regular season and 18-25 in the playoffs. Riley won four championships with the Lakers and also coached the Knicks before joining the Heat in 1995.

Owner Micky Arison is not believed to have asked Riley to resume coaching the team, a high-ranking team official told the Herald.

This will happen. Riley is such a disloyal whore that there is no doubt he's going to steal this team back from Stan VanGundy. They'll spin it that Shaq wanted Van Gundy out, but this is all Riley needing to be back in front of the cameras. It will be interesting to see if Isiah has the balls to call Stan and offer him the Knicks job. I'm sure brother Jeff will have lovely things to say about Zeke and Dolan and their remarkable leadership.

This will happen. Riley is such a disloyal whore that there is no doubt he's going to steal this team back from Stan VanGundy. They'll spin it that Shaq wanted Van Gundy out, but this is all Riley needing to be back in front of the cameras. It will be interesting to see if Isiah has the balls to call Stan and offer him the Knicks job. I'm sure brother Jeff will have lovely things to say about Zeke and Dolan and their remarkable leadership.

Riley and Larry Brown are two of a pair- can not trust either one of them to be loyal.

If Van Gundy gets kicked out he joins his brother in getting raw deals

Riley and Larry Brown are two of a pair- can not trust either one of them to be loyal.

If Van Gundy gets kicked out he joins his brother in getting raw deals

Good Larry Brown rumor, btw. The Pistons are trying to buy him out because Bill Davidson is so pissed at him. The sticking point is that the Pistons will only sign the 'go away' check if Brown promises not to take the Knicks job. LOL! Classic stuff.

Good Larry Brown rumor, btw. The Pistons are trying to buy him out because Bill Davidson is so pissed at him. The sticking point is that the Pistons will only sign the 'go away' check if Brown promises not to take the Knicks job. LOL! Classic stuff.

How would you feel if you were Herb Williams - hanging out there by Isiah all this time- nice way to run an organization

How would you feel if you were Herb Williams - hanging out there by Isiah all this time- nice way to run an organization

Herb is definitely taking the shaft here, but in reality what has he done to keep the job? That team never played defense, he never got Stephon to pass the ball and he never got Tim Thomas motivated. To say that he deserves to come back is ludicrous. Still, Isiah should have done him a favor and whacked him two months ago.

Herb is definitely taking the shaft here, but in reality what has he done to keep the job? That team never played defense, he never got Stephon to pass the ball and he never got Tim Thomas motivated. To say that he deserves to come back is ludicrous. Still, Isiah should have done him a favor and whacked him two months ago.

I missed the whole episode where Shaq threw Van Gumby under the bus. Someone gimme a rundown?

Shaq implied that they lost the series to the Pistons because he didn't get enough minutes down the stretch and didn't get the ball enough during the whole series. He's not altogether wrong, either. In that series, even with the injured leg, Shaq was absolutely punishing Ben Wallace but the Heat stayed on the perimeter way too much. There are rumors that Shaq, behind the scenes, doesn't respect Van Gundy at ALL and is trying to pressure Riley to come back so they could go an a Lakers-like run.

I missed the whole episode where Shaq threw Van Gumby under the bus. Someone gimme a rundown?

Shaq implied that they lost the series to the Pistons because he didn't get enough minutes down the stretch and didn't get the ball enough during the whole series. He's not altogether wrong, either. In that series, even with the injured leg, Shaq was absolutely punishing Ben Wallace but the Heat stayed on the perimeter way too much. There are rumors that Shaq, behind the scenes, doesn't respect Van Gundy at ALL and is trying to pressure Riley to come back so they could go an a Lakers-like run.

Is there a job with less security than being a coach of an NBA team unless you yourself are considered a big star(Riley, Brown or Jackson). Why doesn't someeone ask Shaq why it is he by design doesn't get in shape ever and misses numerous regular season games each season to just hang out? And Shaq isn't even close to being a bad guy compared to others. The NBA allows the inmates not just to run the asylum, but to mortgage the premises, pick their own fellow inmates and hire their enablers as the help.

On the other hand-For better or worse, Shaq might very well have a legit gripe if Stan is even close to nagging dipspit his brother is. I cannot say I watched a whole bunch of Heat games, but if Stan is anything like Jeff, it's entirely plausible he spent every day and night whining about defense while ignoring the mismatch Shaq created on anyone else at center in the whole league. Jeff Van Gundy could have backcourt of Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan and still spend all game calling timeouts to run his plays and to make nonsensical substitutions to show everybody what a great coach he is.The guy knows next to nothing about offense. Which in the player-oriented run&gun NBA at some point means you'll be an ex-coach.

Is there a job with less security than being a coach of an NBA team unless you yourself are considered a big star(Riley, Brown or Jackson). Why doesn't someeone ask Shaq why it is he by design doesn't get in shape ever and misses numerous regular season games each season to just hang out? And Shaq isn't even close to being a bad guy compared to others. The NBA allows the inmates not just to run the asylum, but to mortgage the premises, pick their own fellow inmates and hire their enablers as the help.

On the other hand-For better or worse, Shaq might very well have a legit gripe if Stan is even close to nagging dipspit his brother is. I cannot say I watched a whole bunch of Heat games, but if Stan is anything like Jeff, it's entirely plausible he spent every day and night whining about defense while ignoring the mismatch Shaq created on anyone else at center in the whole league. Jeff Van Gundy could have backcourt of Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan and still spend all game calling timeouts to run his plays and to make nonsensical substitutions to show everybody what a great coach he is.The guy knows next to nothing about offense. Which in the player-oriented run&gun NBA at some point means you'll be an ex-coach.

Now, all things considered, Shaq could bring a gun on the court, shoot someone, and not get a foul. He can double dribble, shuffle his feet, elbow, travel, run people over... it's like Jordan rules.

But, then again, he's lost twice to the Pistons. So, what does all that matter?

Now, all things considered, Shaq could bring a gun on the court, shoot someone, and not get a foul. He can double dribble, shuffle his feet, elbow, travel, run people over... it's like Jordan rules.

A Pistons fan whining about the officiating. That's funny. Hey, good luck with Paul Silas next year.

Bugg, I agree with you about Jeff VanGundy as well. I think the guy is a good coach, but he micromanages so bad it's almost gross.

A Pistons fan whining about the officiating. That's funny. Hey, good luck with Paul Silas next year.

Bugg, I agree with you about Jeff VanGundy as well. I think the guy is a good coach, but he micromanages so bad it's almost gross.

And yet, Paul Silas isn't coming anywhere near this team...

As a Pistons fan, I've been bitching about the officials since you started college... which was what? 1988? If it makes you feel any better, I bitch about officials as a Jets fan, Tigers fan, and Red Wings fan too.

Archived