Shea??

Favorite_Toon

The Jets Should Play One More Game at Shea Stadium Before It Closes

josh-alperPosted Mar 11th 2008 7:29PM by Josh Alper

Filed under: Jets, AFC East, New York

shea-stadium-240sm.jpgNew York has been abuzz of late about a proposed hockey game at Yankee Stadium before the great old ballpark closes its doors. The idea of a Ranger game outdoors on New Year's Day is a great one and I hope to see it happen but the powers that be shouldn't stop there. The Jets should play a game at Shea Stadium before that park gives way to Citi Field.

The Jets called the stadium home from 1964-1983 when lease issues sent them to the asphalt paradise that is the Meadowlands. It's where they won the game that sent them to Super Bowl III, then and now the greatest moment in franchise history. It's the place where the team moved when they were sold by perenially bankrupt Harry Wismer and became something more than a laughingstock. It's also where they resumed being a laughingstock, of course, but let's focus on the good times.

More than anything else, though, it's where Joe Namath became one of football's most enduring icons. It's where his white shoes got covered in mud, where his knees got hurt and where New York fell in love with him. The Mets hold the marker for history in Shea which is a baseball stadium first and foremost but Namath's exploits are among the finest hours of the old yard and deserve to be remembered before it goes away.

And were they play now is better... its not even in the same state... thats like the Cowboys playing in oklahoma.. its fcking ridiculous period!

It is old news the NY\NJ thing. NY had a chance to get them back, it didn't happen.

But going back to Shea? Ugh. For what to relive the glory days of the late 70's? Pass.

I wonder if its even possible to do? Can they even fit a regulation football field within the confines of the baseball field? The seats dont seem like they move anymore since they filled in the outfield corners with dirt, and there aint to much room behind the outfield wall with the new stadium being built.

I wonder if its even possible to do? Can they even fit a regulation football field within the confines of the baseball field? The seats dont seem like they move anymore since they filled in the outfield corners with dirt, and there aint to much room behind the outfield wall with the new stadium being built.

It would fit sideways but the bathrooms might still be dirty. And that would piss off the estate of Leon Hess. Winning championships is 2nd to clean bathrooms.

\:D/

And were they play now is better... its not even in the same state... thats like the Cowboys playing in oklahoma.. its fcking ridiculous period!

actually, it would be more like the DALLAS Cowboys playing in Arlington TX. Which they will do very shortly. The new Cowboys stadium is farther away from Dallas than the Meadowlands is from NYC

Why does it matter what state they play in?? Its the NYC Metro Area. we're not the New York State Jets. Oh thats right... Jets fans have an inferiority complex.. I forgot.

It would fit sideways but the bathrooms might still be dirty. And that would piss off the estate of Leon Hess. Winning championships is 2nd to clean bathrooms.

\:D/

I dont think I can live without the new shelves in the bathrooms. Great place to lay my head in shame after another terrible jets loss.

Shea bathrooms cannot fit all the fat bastards we have as jet fans.

It's absolutely NOTHING like the Cowboys playing in Oklahoma.

If you think "New York" implies the "State of New York" in our team name you're kidding yourself. These teams want to be associated with NEW YORK CITY. They play in a suburb of NYC, which is why it's still OK. Many teams play in SUBURBS of the city they are named after (Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, etc).

Now the idea of playing 1 game at Shea is terrible, just like a hockey game at Yankee stadium is. The last game played in a historic place like Yankee Stadium should be a Yankees game. Shea stadium, I couldn't care less what the last game played there is, but no team should play 1 game at their old stadium... Now find a way to accomodate the fans who would not fit in Shea that fit in the Meadowlands...

If you think "New York" implies the "State of New York" in our team name you're kidding yourself. These teams want to be associated with NEW YORK CITY. They play in a suburb of NYC, which is why it's still OK. Many teams play in SUBURBS of the city they are named after (Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, etc).

Now the idea of playing 1 game at Shea is terrible, just like a hockey game at Yankee stadium is. The last game played in a historic place like Yankee Stadium should be a Yankees game. Shea stadium, I couldn't care less what the last game played there is, but no team should play 1 game at their old stadium... Now find a way to accomodate the fans who would not fit in Shea that fit in the Meadowlands...

Are you guys fcking kidding me or what?? first I have lived in dallas for three years.. just mioved back to ny.. from dallas to arlington its like a 15 min drive...635 E.. to 30E all the way past loop 12... and you are near sixflags in less then 20 mins... theres other way to go..but thas the one I would take...

Second JERSEY is not a subburb of NY thats the point... its a whole different STATE!!! so cowboys are playing in ARLINGTON TEXAS... Not a different state

Are you guys fcking kidding me or what?? first I have lived in dallas for three years.. just mioved back to ny.. from dallas to arlington its like a 15 min drive...635 E.. to 30E all the way past loop 12... and you are near sixflags in less then 20 mins... theres other way to go..but thas the one I would take...

Second JERSEY is not a subburb of NY thats the point... its a whole different STATE!!! so cowboys are playing in ARLINGTON TEXAS... Not a different state

northern NJ is part of the NYC metro area.

Arlington is part of the Dallas metro area.

It is a 20 minute ride from NYC to the Meadowlands.

And again, why does it matter what state they play in?

northern NJ is part of the NYC metro area.

Arlington is part of the Dallas metro area.

It is a 20 minute ride from NYC to the Meadowlands.

And again, why does it matter what state they play in?

I just asked my friend at work..hes from cleveland and he thinks thats ridiculous... anybody would? I mean comeon..were used to it so its no big deal... but Jersey is not NY..its another state with its own laws and taxes..

Westside of manhattan stadium would have been a dream come true!! fckin Dolans!! thats why it never happened.. and thats why the draft is no longer at the garden..

If you don't think Bergen County, NJ is considered a suburb of NYC, you're absolutely not paying attention to the universe... Parts of southern NJ are suburbs of Philly as well. If you think the state has anything to do with it then you're not terribly bright.

Oh, and I bet it's less, in distance, from NYC to East Rutherford, NJ than it is from Arlington to Dallas.. It's 8 friggen miles.

I just asked my friend at work..hes from cleveland and he thinks thats ridiculous... anybody would? I mean comeon..were used to it so its no big deal... but Jersey is not NY..its another state with its own laws and taxes..

Westside of manhattan stadium would have been a dream come true!! fckin Dolans!! thats why it never happened.. and thats why the draft is no longer at the garden..

The draft is at Radio City... guess who owns it? The Dolans.

If you and your friend somehow think Bergen Cty, NJ is not a suburb of NYC you're absolutely NUTS.

The absolute LAST THING this region needed was 2 football stadiums. They're used 10 times each, if we're lucky, a season.

I dont think I can live without the new shelves in the bathrooms. Great place to lay my head in shame after another terrible jets loss.

Shea bathrooms cannot fit all the fat bastards we have as jet fans.

Those shelves are pretty good. They are a nice place to put down a bunch of JetNation.com business cards. Or so I have heard.

Oh well, you got me then. If your friend from Cleveland says so... then it must be.

:)

Westside would have been worse. No parking means no driving in. No tailgating. Have to take the train. Yeah... sounds so much better.

Just because you have this problem with New Jersey doesnt mean it isnt the best option for the Jets. Jets fans come from the entire NYC metro area including Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

Northern NJ is part of the NYC metro area. It has been for over 50 years.

And again... why does it matter if we play in Jersey?

If you don't think Bergen County, NJ is considered a suburb of NYC, you're absolutely not paying attention to the universe... Parts of southern NJ are suburbs of Philly as well. If you think the state has anything to do with it then you're not terribly bright.

Oh, and I bet it's less, in distance, from NYC to East Rutherford, NJ than it is from Arlington to Dallas.. It's 8 friggen miles.

Ok i know there close but its technically another state... bills are the only real ny team we have... which pisses me off.. Jets belong in queens..

and as for the texas thing... texas is so much bigger then ny or new jersey for that matter..everything is 10 to 15 miles away... I would ask for directions from people and they would say its right down the road..

To my suprise it would be like 4 miles away and thats right down the road to them..

Toon...

Just to end this because Im tired of discussing it.

1. No one will ever convince me that its wrong for the Jets to play in Jersey.

2. No one will ever convince me we are at a disadvantage on the field because we play in a stadium named after the other stadium tenant.

3. No one will ever convince me that we would be better off having our own stadium.

None of these things affect how the team plays, who they sign or what record they have. I care about our performance on the field and not how others perceive the team to be. I dont care if other people have a problem with us playing in Giants stadium. I dont. I go 10 times a year and eat, drink, toss the football around and go inside to watch my team play. Whether its in NYC, LI, Upstate, Jersey, CT.. I will go as long as its financially viable. And when I stop going I will still root this team on while watching from home.

SHEA STADIUM IS SUCH A DUMP. I REALLY HOPE THE JETS DON'T PLAY A GAME THERE, BECAUSE I WOULD HATE TO WAIST PART OF MY SEASON TICKETS ON THAT ARMPIT OF A STADIUM. WHY ANY PROFESSIONAL FRANCHISE WOULD WANT TO PLAY THERE IS BEYOND ME....ITS NOT EVEN A NICE DUMP LIKE FENWAY. AT LEAST FENWAY HAS HISTORY BEHIND IT

Ok i know there close but its technically another state... bills are the only real ny team we have... which pisses me off.. Jets belong in queens..

and as for the texas thing... texas is so much bigger then ny or new jersey for that matter..everything is 10 to 15 miles away... I would ask for directions from people and they would say its right down the road..

To my suprise it would be like 4 miles away and thats right down the road to them..

And I'll ask again...

What the hell does it matter what state it is? NY is for the NY Metro area. Thinking anything else is just dumb....

You will never convince me that NJ is NY. We put up with it because nothing will change, but it doesn't mean I have to accept a retarded argument and justification. NJ is as much the NY "metro area" as Anaheim is a part of LA.

Then you simply are not paying attention... Bergen County, NJ is as much of a suburb of NYC as Westchester is.

Toon, they've been here over 20 years & this Fall, they move their training facility to Florham Park - Get over it!

Besides - do you actually think the METS will approve of us playing at shea when they can collapse the building in late October & save on the renovation costs?

We're talking Doubleday here!

And besides, the game will probably be BLACKED OUT due to lack of people showing up - Just like they did over 20 years ago...

Not gonna Happen!

AEC. you forgot about Fed-Ex Field in Landover Maryland - Over 30 miles from DC - and it's still considered the home of the WASHINGTON REDSKINS - not the Maryland Redskins - the WASHINGTON REDSKINS.

Not to mention Dolphins Stadium, which is located in southern Fort Lauderdale - outside of MIAMI/DADE COUNTY & the city limits.

This is beginning to be a case of too much sour grapes, especially within in the next year, we will all be unable to own these seats anyway...

No, because it makes absolutely 0 sense.

NYC is not the only big city in this country with suburbs in another state.

People have presented reasons why it makes no sense to list an NJ area as an NY area. They mentioned state lines, taxes, and other things that'd influence that. So far all you've just said is your opinion and simply stated it over and over again. That doesn't make it a fact. You haven't advanced even one reason.

Since when is a city's area extended beyond state lines? That's just stupid. The statue of liberty legally belongs to New Jersey doesn't it? But everyone had always associated it with NY throughout history. If a court won't buy the argument you're making now why do we have to buy it?

People have presented reasons why it makes no sense to list an NJ area as an NY area. They mentioned state lines, taxes, and other things that'd influence that. So far all you've just said is your opinion and simply stated it over and over again. That doesn't make it a fact. You haven't advanced even one reason.

Since when is a city's area extended beyond state lines? That's just stupid. The statue of liberty legally belongs to New Jersey doesn't it? But everyone had always associated it with NY throughout history. If a court won't buy the argument you're making now why do we have to buy it?

The metro areas of cities go beyond state borders.

Charlotte- Charlotte metro area includes Fort Mill (York County) SC

Philly- Camden NJ and Wilmington DE

just to name 2 that I know of.

Just because it isnt in the same state does not mean they arent part of the same metro area.

The US Govt believes that NJ is part of the NYC metro area:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metro_general/2006/List1.txt

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

-Edison, NJ Metropolitan Division

-Nassau-Suffolk, NY Metropolitan Division

-New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Metropolitan Division

-Newark-Union, NJ-PA Metropolitan Division

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_metro.htm

Definitions:

The general concept of a metropolitan area is that of a large population nucleus, together with adjacent communities having a high degree of social and economic integration with that core.

Archived