Jets News Thread 3/20

SoFlaJets

JETS CAN'T AFFORD COLES CONTRACT WAR

March 20, 2008 -- IT would be foolish to suggest the JetsNew York Jets debacle of a season in 2007 should be solely blamed on the distraction caused by Pete Kendall's preseason contract squabble. But it certainly didn't help.

As much as players preach that team and winning are their top priorities, the size of their paychecks is their ultimate motivator. Coaches are no different. That's particularly true during the offseason when players have the most leverage, and the grab for all the cash they can get seems less selfish.

Nonetheless, the ugly and very public spat with Kendall before his trade to the Redskins last year should have taught the Jets that contract disputes can leave wounds that can be difficult to heal. This should be kept in mind as they negotiate with veteran wide receiver Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles , who wants a long-term deal and is skipping the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts to prove his point.

Coles, 30, has two years worth $11 million remaining on his current deal and the Jets already have taken the unusual step of saying they would guarantee that money. Coles, of course, wants more, especially after seeing Randy Moss, 31, sign a three-year deal worth $27 million to stay with the Patriots. Coles isn't as good as Moss, but figures his service with the Jets and status as team captain warrant a raise.

Clearly, the Jets would like to avoid a repeat of the contentious dealings that occurred with Kendall, but I wouldn't blame them for playing hardball with Coles. The Jets already have spent a ton of money this offseason. Spending extra cash on Coles may not be the prudent thing to do, considering he's the second best receiver on the team behind Jerricho CotcheryJerricho Cotchery .

Coles is a warrior, and the Jets value his intensity and leadership. But he's coming off an injury-plagued year. He still led the Jets with a modest six TD receptions, but caught just 55 passes for 646 yards, his lowest totals since his rookie year in 2000. Coles may still have three or four good years left in him, but why commit more than the $11 million that's already on the table? Cotchery could be next in line if he has another big year.

I'm for players getting every dime they can, especially in football where injuries can affect someone's quality of life well beyond their playing days. So if Coles can get extra cash, good for him.

The key for the Jets is not to send a message that they don't care about their own. Spending huge money to sign free agents is all well and good. But the players who have been with the Jets for a while will be watching how the organization deals with Coles.

The Jets certainly didn't come off looking like they were loyal with the way they dealt with Kendall. Another ugly eruption with Coles could make players question the Jets' loyalty to them.

george.willis@nypost.com

Jets in rush to visit Darren McFadden

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, March 20th 2008, 4:00 AM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - With less than six weeks until the NFL draft, the Jets have dispatched coaches and scouts to college campuses across the country to interview and test the top prospects. On Tuesday, running backs coach Jimmy Raye arrived at the University of Arkansas to huddle with Darren McFadden, whom many believe could be the Jets' choice with the sixth pick of the draft.

The Jets were the first team to have private time on campus with McFadden, according to the All-America running back. Raye and McFadden had lunch, but they spent most of their time in the classroom, along with two other Arkansas running backs. The Jets know McFadden can devour a defense - see 4,590 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns in three seasons - but they want to find out if he can digest a complex pro offense.

"It was something new, having to sit down and take a bunch of notes," McFadden told the Daily News Wednesday. "He was teaching pass protection. In college, we had only three or four (pass-protection schemes). I think he covered five or six. Then he had a little test that he made up."

This wasn't McFadden's first interaction with Jets personnel. At last month's scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he became one of the big stories by scorching the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds, McFadden was interviewed by a Jets contingent that included Eric Mangini.

That, too, was a technical conversation, as Mangini & Co. broke down tape with McFadden. The Jets also will be represented Tuesday at Arkansas, where McFadden and other Razorback draft hopefuls will perform for pro scouts.

McFadden said he doesn't know much about the Jets or their running-back situation, but he'd relish the opportunity to play in a big market such as New York.

"It would be great," said McFadden, who has visited New York only twice - the last two Heisman Trophy ceremonies. (He was the runner-up both times.) "Being in a big city, it would be a new lifestyle. I'd have to adapt. It would be a lot different than living in the South."

Barring trades at the top of the draft, McFadden is expected to be picked anywhere from fourth (Raiders) to sixth (Jets). The Jets have a legitimate No.1 back in Thomas Jones, but they sorely need a player with McFadden's playmaking ability. They're also focusing on the top two outside pass rushers, Chris Long (Virginia) and Vernon Gholston (Ohio State).

McFadden believes he can make an Adrian Peterson-like impact as a rookie.

"I feel like I belong in the NFL, and I can play with those guys," he said. "I'm going to go in there and play like I belong."

D-ROB TRADE DYING

Tom Rock

As you might have guessed just by the amount of time this thing is taking, the trade talks between the Jets and Broncos are starting to peter out. They're not RIP yet and could be resumed at any time, but nothing seems imminent.

Why? A couple reasons from what I'm hearing out west. First of all, Robertson did fail his physical with the Broncos, but the team was willing to overlook the medical evidence based on the fact that Robertson hasn't missed any games the last few years. They were also willing to overlook it because they are a bit desperate for defensive line help.

The other reason is money. Take a look at this story in the Denver Post about the team cutting several jobs from its operations staff. Robertson was supposedly willing to work with the Broncos on a new deal, but he wasn't able to come down enough for them to make it work. The cash-strapped Broncos just couldn't afford to take on his salary (though I was told they were, at one point, willing to go into debt to bring him in).

So was it the money? The bone-on-bone? The idea that Robertson will be on the open market by June? Probably all of the above in a strange brew that finally appears to have squelched the trade -- for now.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 20, 2008 8:14

D-ROB TRADE DYING

Tom Rock

As you might have guessed just by the amount of time this thing is taking, the trade talks between the Jets and Broncos are starting to peter out. They're not RIP yet and could be resumed at any time, but nothing seems imminent.

Why? A couple reasons from what I'm hearing out west. First of all, Robertson did fail his physical with the Broncos, but the team was willing to overlook the medical evidence based on the fact that Robertson hasn't missed any games the last few years. They were also willing to overlook it because they are a bit desperate for defensive line help.

The other reason is money. Take a look at this story in the Denver Post about the team cutting several jobs from its operations staff. Robertson was supposedly willing to work with the Broncos on a new deal, but he wasn't able to come down enough for them to make it work. The cash-strapped Broncos just couldn't afford to take on his salary (though I was told they were, at one point, willing to go into debt to bring him in).

So was it the money? The bone-on-bone? The idea that Robertson will be on the open market by June? Probably all of the above in a strange brew that finally appears to have squelched the trade -- for now.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 20, 2008 8:14

And we knew about this before we traded two firsts & a 4th so this kid's agent (understandably, since that's his job) could hold the team up for a stupidly-sized contract. Brilliant draft move.

Jets in rush to visit Darren McFadden

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, March 20th 2008, 4:00 AM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - With less than six weeks until the NFL draft, the Jets have dispatched coaches and scouts to college campuses across the country to interview and test the top prospects. On Tuesday, running backs coach Jimmy Raye arrived at the University of Arkansas to huddle with Darren McFadden, whom many believe could be the Jets' choice with the sixth pick of the draft.

The Jets were the first team to have private time on campus with McFadden, according to the All-America running back. Raye and McFadden had lunch, but they spent most of their time in the classroom, along with two other Arkansas running backs. The Jets know McFadden can devour a defense - see 4,590 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns in three seasons - but they want to find out if he can digest a complex pro offense.

"It was something new, having to sit down and take a bunch of notes," McFadden told the Daily News Wednesday. "He was teaching pass protection. In college, we had only three or four (pass-protection schemes). I think he covered five or six. Then he had a little test that he made up."

This wasn't McFadden's first interaction with Jets personnel. At last month's scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he became one of the big stories by scorching the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds, McFadden was interviewed by a Jets contingent that included Eric Mangini.

That, too, was a technical conversation, as Mangini & Co. broke down tape with McFadden. The Jets also will be represented Tuesday at Arkansas, where McFadden and other Razorback draft hopefuls will perform for pro scouts.

McFadden said he doesn't know much about the Jets or their running-back situation, but he'd relish the opportunity to play in a big market such as New York.

"It would be great," said McFadden, who has visited New York only twice - the last two Heisman Trophy ceremonies. (He was the runner-up both times.) "Being in a big city, it would be a new lifestyle. I'd have to adapt. It would be a lot different than living in the South."

Barring trades at the top of the draft, McFadden is expected to be picked anywhere from fourth (Raiders) to sixth (Jets). The Jets have a legitimate No.1 back in Thomas Jones, but they sorely need a player with McFadden's playmaking ability. They're also focusing on the top two outside pass rushers, Chris Long (Virginia) and Vernon Gholston (Ohio State).

McFadden believes he can make an Adrian Peterson-like impact as a rookie.

"I feel like I belong in the NFL, and I can play with those guys," he said. "I'm going to go in there and play like I belong."

Ya know everytime i come in to work.. I read a great story that makes me smile..this has to be the best one yet!!!

Only.. we dont need him..we got Jesse Chatman now!! LOL

JETS CAN'T AFFORD COLES CONTRACT WAR

March 20, 2008 -- IT would be foolish to suggest the JetsNew York Jets debacle of a season in 2007 should be solely blamed on the distraction caused by Pete Kendall's preseason contract squabble. But it certainly didn't help.

As much as players preach that team and winning are their top priorities, the size of their paychecks is their ultimate motivator. Coaches are no different. That's particularly true during the offseason when players have the most leverage, and the grab for all the cash they can get seems less selfish.

Nonetheless, the ugly and very public spat with Kendall before his trade to the Redskins last year should have taught the Jets that contract disputes can leave wounds that can be difficult to heal. This should be kept in mind as they negotiate with veteran wide receiver Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles , who wants a long-term deal and is skipping the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts to prove his point.

Coles, 30, has two years worth $11 million remaining on his current deal and the Jets already have taken the unusual step of saying they would guarantee that money. Coles, of course, wants more, especially after seeing Randy Moss, 31, sign a three-year deal worth $27 million to stay with the Patriots. Coles isn't as good as Moss, but figures his service with the Jets and status as team captain warrant a raise.

Clearly, the Jets would like to avoid a repeat of the contentious dealings that occurred with Kendall, but I wouldn't blame them for playing hardball with Coles. The Jets already have spent a ton of money this offseason. Spending extra cash on Coles may not be the prudent thing to do, considering he's the second best receiver on the team behind Jerricho CotcheryJerricho Cotchery .

Coles is a warrior, and the Jets value his intensity and leadership. But he's coming off an injury-plagued year. He still led the Jets with a modest six TD receptions, but caught just 55 passes for 646 yards, his lowest totals since his rookie year in 2000. Coles may still have three or four good years left in him, but why commit more than the $11 million that's already on the table? Cotchery could be next in line if he has another big year.

I'm for players getting every dime they can, especially in football where injuries can affect someone's quality of life well beyond their playing days. So if Coles can get extra cash, good for him.

The key for the Jets is not to send a message that they don't care about their own. Spending huge money to sign free agents is all well and good. But the players who have been with the Jets for a while will be watching how the organization deals with Coles.

The Jets certainly didn't come off looking like they were loyal with the way they dealt with Kendall. Another ugly eruption with Coles could make players question the Jets' loyalty to them.

george.willis@nypost.com

I agree with this article in it's entirety. I have no problem with Coles trying to get all he can, and I have no problem with the Jets if they decide not to give it to him. I'd prefer they work out a compromise. If they can't, I'd hope that they could move Coles quickly without all the Kendall-like BS.

Ya know everytime i come in to work.. I read a great story that makes me smile..this has to be the best one yet!!!

Only.. we dont need him..we got Jesse Chatman now!! LOL

I wouldn't get too excited. There were two other backs there. Presumably Felix Jones was one. Due dilligence.

DRob is as good as gone-hey SE how much do we get burned if we cut his fat ass outright?

We don't get burned we have a pretty major cap savings, but will have to eat some amount of signing bonus. That's what they'll probably do if they can't work a deal for a draft pick.

My take on the latest moves

March 20

Ok.. I know I

DRob is as good as gone-hey SE how much do we get burned if we cut his fat ass outright?

No difference in all likelihood. There was no chance of us keeping him past June 1st.

I don't have the exact #'s here with me. But in round #'s, we save $8M by cutting or trading him before June 1st. If he's cut and not traded, we can up that # to about $10M, with about $2M hitting next year's cap. Seems pretty unlikely, unless we needed an extra $2M this year (which we don't at this point). Though to be honest, I don't know what they're planning on doing with Coles, and that could affect how we handle DRob I suppose. Not to mention we're (allegedly) trying to lock up Rhodes as well.

Once DRob's gone, we have plenty of breathing room either way.

Barrett will probably be gone after the draft, which saves at least $2M more (depending on when it's done). My guess is he's only here so they don't force themselves to reach. Good idea in theory, but who really wants to see Barrett starting again no matter what? I suppose one could argue that he wouldn't be a team-killer if we had a pass-rush and with Revis on the other side. Or at least let him compete with the other scrubs we've added & hope one of them un-scrubs enough to warrant starting.

Also a chance we dump Chad, don't forget. I don't know what their plan is. Right now he's here. There may be more trade interest in him after the draft is over. But a team doesn't say they'll "listen to offers" if they absolutely want the guy here; I don't hear them saying they'll "listen to offers" for David Harris or Kerry Rhodes.

I wouldn't get too excited. There were two other backs there. Presumably Felix Jones was one. Due dilligence.

We don't get burned we have a pretty major cap savings, but will have to eat some amount of signing bonus. That's what they'll probably do if they can't work a deal for a draft pick.

This was published? Washington? Sole? Sowells has been gone for years. The Herm regime let him walk because they liked Askew. Richardson is a very solid FB and with a one year deal what is there to complain about? Franks is a decent TE. Having more than one servicable TE is a necessity in today's NFL, why the **** is anybody scratching their head over a one year deal?

hey it's alittle thin around here for stories these days-sometimes I make them up myself and try to make them official looking-I'm a dumbass Dom so hey, I don't spell so guud ya noew

No difference in all likelihood. There was no chance of us keeping him past June 1st.

I don't have the exact #'s here with me. But in round #'s, we save $8M by cutting or trading him before June 1st. If he's cut and not traded, we can up that # to about $10M, with about $2M hitting next year's cap. Seems pretty unlikely, unless we needed an extra $2M this year (which we don't at this point). Though to be honest, I don't know what they're planning on doing with Coles, and that could affect how we handle DRob I suppose. Not to mention we're (allegedly) trying to lock up Rhodes as well.

Once DRob's gone, we have plenty of breathing room either way.

Barrett will probably be gone after the draft, which saves at least $2M more (depending on when it's done). My guess is he's only here so they don't force themselves to reach. Good idea in theory, but who really wants to see Barrett starting again no matter what? I suppose one could argue that he wouldn't be a team-killer if we had a pass-rush and with Revis on the other side. Or at least let him compete with the other scrubs we've added & hope one of them un-scrubs enough to warrant starting.

Also a chance we dump Chad, don't forget. I don't know what their plan is. Right now he's here. There may be more trade interest in him after the draft is over.

good stuff SE...as to Chad with the crappy class of QB's (both rooks and FA's) there's no reason to be hasty with releasing him

This was published? Washington? Sole? Sowells has been gone for years. The Herm regime let him walk because they liked Askew. Richardson is a very solid FB and with a one year deal what is there to complain about? Franks is a decent TE. Having more than one servicable TE is a necessity in today's NFL, why the **** is anybody scratching their head over a one year deal?

I thought Mangini cut Sowell.

hey it's alittle thin around here for stories these days-sometimes I make them up myself and try to make them official looking-I'm a dumbass Dom so hey, I don't spell so guud ya noew

Sorry SFJ. I didn't mean to to be a dick. At least not more than usual. As a post it's fine. We all expect to be busted on for our typos. For a published piece it seemed odd to miss the names.

I thought Mangini cut Sowell.

I looked it up. I stand corrected. He was on the Jets through the '05 season. He was cut during Tangini's first cap purge. I incorrectly remembered Askew being picked up as a replacement. They both ended up in Tampa. Sowell was out of the league last year.

Sorry SFJ. I didn't mean to to be a dick. At least not more than usual. As a post it's fine. We all expect to be busted on for our typos. For a published piece it seemed odd to miss the names.

no, you're right and I didn't take it that way anyway #27

Archived