Seahawks sign Tatupu through 2015 - ESPN.com

Tatupu agrees to six-year extension worth more than $40 million

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Seattle Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell took some criticism in 2005 for trading up in the second-round for USC middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who was considered slightly undersized and a little slow.

Three Pro Bowls and one trip to the Super Bowl later, Tatupu has emerged as the leader of the Seahawks' defense. The leadership was rewarded with a six-year contract extension for $42 million which includes more than $18 million in guarantees.

The deal puts him among the league's six highest-paid linebackers. His new contract will take him through the 2015 season.

"This isn't just Good Friday. It's great Friday," Tatupu told Ruskell upon finishing the contract Friday.

"I'm going to end my career with the Seahawks."

Tatupu, 6-foot, 242 pounds, had two years remaining on his rookie contract, but he made three trips to the Pro Bowl in his first three seasons. Tatupu has averaged 112 tackles a season, but those numbers don't fully equate his value.

Tatupu helped to change the focus of the defense with his leadership. He has made his teammates more attentive in preparing by watching more game tape. He calls the defensive signals on the field.

Even in his contract extension, Tatupu showed leadership. He could have demanded more money -- teammate Julian Peterson, a perennial Pro Bowl linebacker, is making $1 million more a season than Tatupu will under his new contract.

But Tatupu knew by taking a little less, it would free up room to help with a contract extension for linebacker LeRoy Hill, who is a free agent after the season. He is also hoping it would help the team reach a long-term deal with cornerback Marcus Trufant, who received the one-year franchise tag in February.

Ruskell drafted Tatupu for his instincts. To get a step ahead in keeping Tatupu, Ruskell signed him to the long-term deal.

Tatupa was the 45th pick in the 2005 draft. Some teams had him rated lower than the second round. Ruskell used two fourth-round picks to move up nine spots in the draft to get him. Seeing Tatupu's success on the field, he wasn't going to let him hit free agency.

Sperm Edwards and I were looking through some long term cap #s in our staff meeting last week. I believe there were only 2 teams that had players under contract for 2015. One team (Eagles) has a player under contract for 2016.

I saw 2016 on the page and thought damn that is a long time away.

Sperm Edwards and I were looking through some long term cap #s in our staff meeting last week. I believe there were only 2 teams that had players under contract for 2015. One team (Eagles) has a player under contract for 2016.

Do you remember who the player was ?

That's a long contract if you ask me.

It will be here before we know it, sad, but true

Life goes by 2 fast

If Tatupu is undersized at 242 lbs, then what is Vilma at 230 lbs soaking wet?

I think Vilma was the perfect size with the perfect speed for a MLB in the 4-3, but I agree with you, Vilma was undersized in the 3-4 and so was Robertson at our NT, Im looking foward to watching David Harris as a 2nd year starter behind Jenkins

I think Vilma was the perfect size with the perfect speed for a MLB in the 4-3, but I agree with you, Vilma was undersized in the 3-4 and so was Robertson at our NT, Im looking foward to watching David Harris as a 2nd year starter behind Jenkins

Vilma was not the "perfect" size to play MLB in any scheme. He's small for a 4-3 MLB also.

Archived