How many Yankee fans remember

AFJF

Al Leiters MLB debut?

I know I do, and no matter how the guy does from here on out, I'm just glad he got another shot in pinstripes. I remember listening to that game on the radio (no cable in the Bronx at the time) and for the first time as a Yankee fan, hearing broadcasters absolutely RAVE about a young Yankee pitcher.

If I'm not mistaken the game was against the Brewers or Indians and Al had double digit K's in 6-7 innings. He was hitting the high 90s with regularity and the broadcaster (Jay Johnstone?) couldn't stop gushing about this young flamethrowing lefty who had the stuff to be special.

Then of course, Leiter was dealt to Toronto for Jesse Barfield who was a good hitter with one of the best arms I've ever seen in my life (those who recall Jessie making TWIBs play of the year throwing out Chili Davis tagging from 2nd to 3rd from the warning track in Minny know what I mean).

I know that when Leiter was dealt he said it was the worst day of his life (being from NJ and wanting to pitch for the Yanks) and I've always hoped he would be back in pinstripes at some point in his career and what a way to come back for Leiter. Just wondering how many recall his debut and the stuff he threw early in his career.

Imagine what the guy could have done if not for the blister and back problems.

Okay, I'm done

i saw leiter pitch at Albany-Colonie in AA back in the 80's. I was just a kid so i don't remember much of his debut, i used to listen to those games on the radio too, the scooter, bill white, and bobby mercer.

i actually saw a lot of guys at AA, including a rehab start for louisanna lightning himself. 'primetime' was there for a stint, bernie, leyritz, 'bam-bam', and both maas brothers. the best of the bunch was leyritz, i think he was league player of the year. maas was a close second - he used to hit the ball about 450 there, absolute moonshots.

i saw leiter pitch at Albany-Colonie in AA back in the 80's. I was just a kid so i don't remember much of his debut, i used to listen to those games on the radio too, the scooter, bill white, and bobby mercer.

i actually saw a lot of guys at AA, including a rehab start for louisanna lightning himself. 'primetime' was there for a stint, bernie, leyritz, 'bam-bam', and both maas brothers. the best of the bunch was leyritz, i think he was league player of the year. maas was a close second - he used to hit the ball about 450 there, absolute moonshots.

Bam-Bam...more like Bust-Bust...he was supposed to be the sh*t at 3B but couldn't even put the ball in play and played just as bad as Mike Blowers on defense.

Archived