Strength of Schedule

Gainzo

Why do people, mostly the media, mention this when talking about the new NFL season?

According to the SOS formula the Patriots have the easiest schedule in the League.

The Pats and Jets play 14 common opponents with the only differences being the Pats play the Colts & Steelers, while the Jets play the Titans & Bengals.

Based on those two games who has the "tougher" schedule?

It's a joke.

Why do people, mostly the media, mention this when talking about the new NFL season?

According to the SOS formula the Patriots have the easiest schedule in the League.

The Pats and Jets play 14 common opponents with the only differences being the Pats play the Colts & Steelers, while the Jets play the Titans & Bengals.

It's a joke.

don't forget the jets are included on that SOS. Because of the state of suck we were in last year that makes your SOS look a lot worse.

don't forget the jets are included on that SOS. Because of the state of suck we were in last year that makes your SOS look a lot worse.

Thats my point! The Jets SOS is higher than the Pats because they played them twice. 4-12 vs 16-0. It makes no sense.

In this day and age of statistical analysis there has to be a better way of determining SOS.

It's a joke.

because its an easy story to write. It takes no effort to write this crap. Plus the facts would get in the way of writing the story.

Thats my point! The Jets SOS is higher than the Pats because they played them twice. 4-12 vs 16-0. It makes no sense.

In this day and age of statistical analysis there has to be a better way of determining SOS.

Yeah, simple, don't even bother with it. Strength of schedule is meaningless. You get a schedule, play it. If it's weak or strong, a W is still a W.

Strength of schedule is a stupid stat for the public to use. Its only purpose is to determine draft position. And last year's SOS has no bearing on this year...

Yeah, simple, don't even bother with it. Strength of schedule is meaningless. You get a schedule, play it. If it's weak or strong, a W is still a W.

I agree 100%.

For those that care this isn't about the Pats it's about the stupidity of the talking heads on ESPN, SI, FOX, NFL Network, etc using SOS as the end all be all of a team.

Not to mention the the 5%-10% of fans from every team that treat SOS as some kind of gospel. I've read some inane posts today on Pats, Jets & Bills boards about this.

Archived