Francona to David Wells- be quiet

faba

Red Sox Manager Critical Of Outspoken Wells

Published: Jul 27, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG - Red Sox manager Terry Francona felt he owed Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella an apology, and gave it to him before Tuesday night's game.

It was Francona's reaction to Boston LHP David Wells' swipe at Piniella after Tampa Bay's 4-3 victory Monday.

"I wish we would stay away from that kind of thing," Francona said. "That's not right."

What Wells said, according to The Boston Globe, was that the Rays have got "a lot of young guys. I think that a lot of those guys are petrified of Lou over there. Lou is a tough guy to get along with, from what I hear.

"I've never played for him, but I've seen what he does. I've seen him yell at a lot of guys and I talk to guys when they've left and been on other teams and they say it's really hard because he's tough on the young guys.

"I think Lou needs to chill out and give these guys opportunities instead of criticizing them. They've got some tremendous arms over there. They've got some live arms and they've got guys that can do it. But when you're under pressure like that all the time it's hard to pitch. They don't have any veteran starters over there."

Wells never considered pitching for the Rays because "I knew I didn't want to ride out my career with a team that flat-out stinks," he wrote last year in his book, "Perfect, I'm Not."

Piniella dismissed the subject Tuesday with a shrug and a wave.

Earlier this season, Red Sox RHP Curt Schilling criticized Piniella after the teams brawled on April 24. The two have since reconciled, and were seen shaking hands and chatting briefly before Tuesday's game.

RAYS ON THE RADAR: With Sunday's non-waiver trade deadline approaching, no moves by the Rays are imminent.

The White Sox have been scouting Rays 1B Aubrey Huff for about a week and also are interested in Marlins RHP A.J. Burnett. Chicago 22-year-old RHP Brandon McCarthy is believed to figure in those discussions.

The Rays are believed to be interested in McCarthy and White Sox LHP Damaso Marte.

Meanwhile, the Marlins are looking at Rays LHP Trever Miller and RHP Danys Baez, and the Padres and Nationals have inquired about about Rays SS Julio Lugo.

HALAMA DESIGNATED: Boston LHP John Halama, 33, a starter and reliever for the Rays last season, was designated for assignment when the Red Sox recalled RHP Manny Delcarmen from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Halama, 7-6 with a 4.70 ERA in 34 games (14 starts) for the Rays in 2004, signed as a free agent with Boston. He was 1-1 with a 6.18 ERA in 30 games. The Red Sox have 10 days to trade, waive or release him.

FARM REPORT: RHPs Lance Carter and Rob Bell, trying to work their way back to the majors, were battered in Triple-A Durham's 14-12 loss Monday to Rochester. Carter, in his first minor-league appearance since 2002 with the Bulls, gave up six runs on five hits, two of them homers, in one inning and took the loss. Bell started and lasted two-plus innings, charged with eight runs on nine hits including a home run. RF Delmon Young has hit safely in his 12 Bulls games.

AROUND THE HORN: Undefeated super middleweight boxing champion Jeff Lacy of St. Petersburg will throw today's ceremonial first pitch. ... The crowd of 24,029 Tuesday at the Trop gave the their first four-game streak of the season with at least 20,000 fans. The crowd included 6,885 fans who bought their tickets at the window, the third-largest walkup in Rays history.

Bruce Lowitt

Archived