Here we go! Q&A with Herm Edwards - 5/19

BP

“I think you find out what these guys transfer from the classroom to the field and then the competitiveness in what we ask them to do. It’s going to be very competitive here. There are actually 12 players left with seven or more years of experience on this football team. It might be six years, but the point is the rest of them are five years or less. I told those guys there are going to be a lot of guys competing for jobs here. I’m talking about at every position.”

What does that even mean?

We were going to sign some guys who were on their second contracts who were free agents.”

No ****?

Chan (Gailey) is a veteran coach and he’s coached a lot of football in this league. He has a way of running his system.

Who would've ever expected a veteran coach to have coached a lot of football!?! He even has a way of running his system! Amazing!

I still can't get over when Herm made that welcome sign in 'HardKnocks' and five minutes later it was on the ground. He was working real hard to color it in and make it nice. :biggrin:

Ty Law looked humiliated and embarrassed when he saw that. he's the one that threw it on the ground.

Ummm...what?

I honestly love how Herm is satisified with giving up almost every difference maker on the team just so he can look at the roster and say "yeah, its more balanced now."

“I’m comfortable with it because if you look now it’s more balanced. The problem is if you do this slowly no one makes a big deal out of it. But because after last year we were going to do this it’s a mass of numbers right now. We were lopsided as a football team. Now we’re more even. We have a bunch of young guys, a bunch of middle-aged guys that are good players and then we’ve got a group of guys who have 10 or more years of experience. At one time we had 17 or 18 players 30 years or older. That’s too many, too many. We’ve weaned ourselves away from that, not going after guys like that in free agency. We were going to sign some guys who were on their second contracts who were free agents.”

He's not going after guys like that. Not going after guys like Donnie Edwards, Ty Law, Kyle Turley, Damion McIntosh, James Reed, Damon Huard, Alfonso Boone, bringing back Priest Holmes...

Classic built in excuse nonsense-

"You’re really putting in a new system [on offense] and then you’ve got a bunch of new players trying to learn a new system."

Like Chan Gailey is teaching these guys how to build a nuclear power plant from scratch as opposed to a few new plays. Heaven forbid a Herman Edwards team is ready to go week 1.

I think the Chiefs did a good job in the first few rounds of the draft. But the worst move of the offseason is dumping Jared Allen. You do not dump a monster, warts and all, like that. It's totally counterproductive.

There is just no media that Herm just doesn't love to death. Hard knocks, Q&A with DuhHerm, etc.. Does anyone else notice that Herm has been the first coach interviewed during the first round of the draft for the past 4 years now? There is no possible way that his media time doesn't interfere with his coaching duties. He does so many friggin interviews I don't see how it possibly couldn't.

Archived