Arkansas' Offensive Line

drago

Does anyone have any actual insight on this unit? I see Jones and McFadden with all these long runs against solid Defenses, yet i haven't heard a thing about any of their linemen being draft prospects.

Most of us know we selected their RT in Garner in the 7th round. All I have heard about him is that he is a huge guy. Being huge can make you a really good college player, based on where he was drafted that might be the exact case, but is there any shot that he becomes a solid player?

6'6", 330 pounds is a huge guy. If he can move at all you have to like his size and his units' success in college. I'm curious what any of you college guru's think of him?

Does anyone have any actual insight on this unit? I see Jones and McFadden with all these long runs against solid Defenses, yet i haven't heard a thing about any of their linemen being draft prospects.

Most of us know we selected their RT in Garner in the 7th round. All I have heard about him is that he is a huge guy. Being huge can make you a really good college player, based on where he was drafted that might be the exact case, but is there any shot that he becomes a solid player?

6'6", 330 pounds is a huge guy. If he can move at all you have to like his size and his units' success in college. I'm curious what any of you college guru's think of him?

This was actually a very good (and refreshing) question. been waiting for something different myself to comment on. unfortunately though, im not exactly sure how well the arkansas line did during draft and if Garner was the only o-lineman drafted from that class. All I know is that McFadden couldnt have gotten all of those yards without key blocking, but if blocking wasnt the key to McFaddens success then I am SERIOUSLY mad that the Jets beat the Chiefs during that last game, because that means that the raiders have a supernova waiting to explode onto the league.

However I doubt that though. I think it was him understanding key blocking and taking advantage.

Actually im surprised that Garner went in the 7th round. For all the success that McFadden has had, and it wasnt just one year. He had a great college career. Maybe that was more of a steal draft wise then Dwight Lowery (something's telling me that this kid is extra special....I just feel it...no homo lmao).

as a general rule you either take tackles 4th round or higher or get a converted TE in the late rounds as a project.

this "unknown" drafting of late round tackles doesn't have alot of draft success over the years. Yovanovitz, Cavka, Bender etc.

I pride myself on being a bit of a draft fan ;) and actually we linked Nate Garner in the blog when he won his SEC lineman of week award - that being said he's PSquad at best a huge project.

I expect Wayne Hunter (or S Olivea if signed) to be that 6th OL off the bench.

sort of disconserting bit. I could understand where you are coming from though, by me not knowing the situation fully, it appears that he is just a huge, slow guy. Not exactly what we would be wanting in a RT.

I wish we could get McKenzie back.

sort of disconserting bit. I could understand where you are coming from though, by me not knowing the situation fully, it appears that he is just a huge, slow guy. Not exactly what we would be wanting in a RT.

I wish we could get McKenzie back.

Well He is huge, but i dont see the problem with him being slow, if he is in fact slow. I havent heard an article stating that he's too slow for the pro's though he helped make McFadden be McFadden.

But getting back to his speed. it isnt like he's a Guard where you would really need that speedy lineman when pulling on running routes. Tackles are on the end so they dont need to pull. So if he's just getting his hand on a body and pushing up field then who cares if he's slow, as long as he quick enough to create the hole for a running back to hit.

EDIT: let me correct myself. his speed would be a problem going against speedy DE's on passing downs. However, I havent heard anything about him being "slow".

Well He is huge, but i dont see the problem with him being slow, if he is in fact slow. I havent heard an article stating that he's too slow for the pro's though he helped make McFadden be McFadden.

But getting back to his speed. it isnt like he's a Guard where you would really need that speedy lineman when pulling on running routes. Tackles are on the end so they dont need to pull. So if he's just getting his hand on a body and pushing up field then who cares if he's slow, as long as he quick enough to create the hole for a running back to hit.

You're right about RT's not needing speed, but it would be nice to have a big man that can get into space. What i actually meant was he may lack the quickness to pass protect against the speedy linebackers of the world.

I do think he could maul with the best of them. He may be a good player to have in on goal line situations, past that, i'm not putting too much confidence in him.

You're right about RT's not needing speed, but it would be nice to have a big man that can get into space. What i actually meant was he may lack the quickness to pass protect against the speedy linebackers of the world.

I do think he could maul with the best of them. He may be a good player to have in on goal line situations, past that, i'm not putting too much confidence in him.

thats funny as you were writing this, I was writing my Edit "correction" above...lmao. Forgot about the passing game.

The guy is slow, and that is why he was there in the 7th. he was also only a 1 year starter.

There is tons on video on him. Actually, it's on McFadden, but he is in them. he seems to score a lot of knockdowns, He is clearly a project, but ya never know.

Archived