Jets articles and Football news 6/16/08

Kentucky Jet

Report Says Stuckey Looking Solid as Possible #3 Wide Out

Posted by Matt Loede on June 15th, 2008

Word out of New York is that Chansi Stuckey is mounting a strong case to be the third option in the Jets’ WR corps — behind Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery — after spending his rookie season on injured reserve. Although slightly built, he impressed team observers in minicamp, running smooth, precise routes and catching the ball effortlessly.

FORMER NFL PLAYER KILLED IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2008, 11:27 p.m. EDT

Johnathan Goddard, the 2004 MAC defensive player of the year and a sixth-round choice of the Detroit Lions in 2005, died as a result of a Saturday night motorcycle accident in Jacksonville.

Goddard played at Marshall before entering the NFL. After playing with the Lions, he spent some time with the Colts and the Arena Football League

AFC rankings: running backs

E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 5 WATCH THIS TOPIC

Posted: June 14, 2008

Sporting News correspondents

More: NFC running back rankings

In the latest installment of NFL offseason position rankings, SN's correspondents break down the running backs in the AFC.

1. JAGUARS: Defenses never get a break against Jacksonville. With his explosive inside running and sure hands, Maurice Jones-Drew complements Fred Taylor's cutback style. Greg Jones is a versatile lead blocker.

2. CHARGERS: LaDainian Tomlinson isn't showing any slippage, but depth is an issue. Michael Turner is gone, so Darren Sproles will get a larger role and rookie Jacob Hester will fill in at running back and fullback.

3. STEELERS: First-round pick Rashard Mendenhall will pound out tough yards inside and complement two-time Pro Bowler Willie Parker. Mewelde Moore should get plenty of pass-catching opportunities.

4. COLTS: Versatile Joseph Addai will get ample help from Dominic Rhodes, who's back after a year in Oakland. Depth will come from Kenton Keith or rookie Mike Hart.

5. CHIEFS: New coordinator Chan Gailey's offense will be built around Larry Johnson, who needs better blocking to bounce back strong. Rookie Jamaal Charles provides what Johnson doesn't -- a legitimate breakaway threat.

6. RAVENS: Willis McGahee is an outside runner who has the power to work inside. He has improved as a pass catcher. With no proven backup, the team will look at rookie Ray Rice, who runs with a low center of gravity.

Top 5 AFC Running Backs

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers

2. Joseph Addai, Colts

3. Larry Johnson, Chiefs

4. Fred Taylor, Jaguars

5. Willie Parker, Steelers

7. RAIDERS: Justin Fargas heads an impressive stable that includes rookie Darren McFadden and short-yardage ace Michael Bush. Look for the hard-nosed Fargas and speedy McFadden to provide a nice combo.

8. BILLS: Marshawn Lynch is a between-the-tackles workhorse with outside speed . Fred Jackson provides a change of pace with his slashing quickness. Both will get help from fullback Darian Barnes, a pile-driving blocker.

9. BROWNS: Jamal Lewis re-established himself as a top power back in 2008, but how much does he have left? No. 2 Jason Wright will be pushed by Jerome Harrison. Lawrence Vickers has grown into the fullback job.

10. PATRIOTS: Laurence Maroney appears on the verge of becoming a legit No. 1 . He is backed up by solid veteran Sammy Morris, with jack-of-all-trades Kevin Faulk available on third down. Heath Evans is a solid fullback.

11. JETS: Thomas Jones is a solid runner who needs better blocking. No. 2 Leon Washington is explosive but fragile, which explains the signing of Jesse Chatman. Fullback Tony Richardson still is a Pro Bowl-caliber blocker.

12. TITANS: The 1,110 yards LenDale White rushed for last season were a welcome contribution for a team that has questions behind him: Chris Henry, who had limited success last year, and versatile rookie Chris Johnson.

13. DOLPHINS: The 1-2 punch of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams comes with issues: Williams has played just 13 games in three years; Brown is coming off a torn ACL. Before the injury, Brown was playing at a Pro Bowl level.

14. BRONCOS: With the release of Travis Henry, look for Selvin Young and newcomer Michael Pittman to share duties. Rookie Ryan Torain, who is physical and suited for the one-cut zone-blocking scheme, is a dark horse.

15. BENGALS: Rudi Johnson has to prove himself after a poor 2007. He has looked strong in offseason workouts. Versatile Kenny Watson is the top backup, and DeDe Dorsey is primed to steal the No. 3 role from Chris Perry.

16. TEXANS: Ahman Green, Chris Brown and Chris Taylor all have injury-plagued pasts. Rookie Steve Slaton is slated for third-down duty. The only sure thing is bruising fullback Vonta Leach.

They also need to shore up the D-line, and hope that draft pick Vernon Gholston in the first round will do that.
The Jets are going back to a 4-3? Hey, how come nobody told me?

11. JETS: Thomas Jones is a solid runner who needs better blocking. No. 2 Leon Washington is explosive but fragile, which explains the signing of Jesse Chatman. Fullback Tony Richardson still is a Pro Bowl-caliber blocker.

Leon Washington is fragile? Not only that, but that's the reason the Jets signed Jesse Chatman?

How do these guys get paid to write this stuff? It's not like there are 300 teams and it's impossible to keep track of any one of them.

Leon Washington is fragile? Not only that, but that's the reason the Jets signed Jesse Chatman?

How do these guys get paid to write this stuff? It's not like there are 300 teams and it's impossible to keep track of any one of them.

i felt my eyes cross when i read both of those bits in the article. "concerens with the defensive line" then he brings up gholston. How hard is it to know that a 6th overall choice was brought to a specific team in order to play linebacker, not DE?

Like you said, how the hell do these guys get paid for this?

i felt my eyes cross when i read both of those bits in the article. "concerens with the defensive line" then he brings up gholston. How hard is it to know that a 6th overall choice was brought to a specific team in order to play linebacker, not DE?

Like you said, how the hell do these guys get paid for this?

The guy from the Sporting News probably gets paid, but I'll bet that Matt from "gridirongab.com" is a just another idiot spouting off on a website. Like us.

Archived