Interesting bit of news on Baker and Gholston

flgreen

http://nyj.scout.com/2/771868.html

If you expected Chris Baker to continue blasting the Jets organization on Thursday during his press briefing, you had another thing coming.

Baker, who wants a new contract, is now attempting to take a less vitriolic approach with the team.

Baker, who addressed the media for the first time in two months, had nothing bad to say about the Jets.

"I'm letting my agent handle the business side," said Baker. "I'm excited to get back on the field and get back to business."

Baker, currently on the PUP list with a back ailment, is working on the side of the training camp practice field with Jets conditioning coach Sal Alosi.

So is their anything new on the contract front?

"I can't really talk about it," said Baker. "We are looking for a solution. They are talking."

Baker, a Queens-native, wants to remain with the Jets. He's no longer looking for a trade.

"I want to be here," said Baker.

So this dispute is going to be resolved in the near future?

"I'm pretty sure," said Baker.

Baker is currently in the third year of a four-year contract that averages $1.65 million per season. That is a low deal compared to comparable players like linebacker Bryan Thomas and offensive tackle Damien Woody, who make $5 million per season.

I really hope they can work out the Baker situation. I thought he had improved a lot of the last couple of years. Regardless if its Chad or Kellen they will need options, having two quality TE is never a bad thing.

Archived