Erik Boland: Jets no closer to Favre this Friday then last Friday

flgreen

Blogger

button0-bm.gif

Erik Boland: Inside the Jets

Breaking news, commentary and insider information on the New York Jets

July 31, 2008

Hold the horses on Favre

So, it's just after 11 and I'm still at Hofstra. Alone. I need to eat, which I will do shortly. Hey, this still beats working.

Anyway, I had copious notes from which I was prepared to draft the practice report to end all practice reports, but at 9 p.m. or so a story popped up out of Green Bay suggesting the Jets were getting all hot and heavy - my language (don't judge me, it's late) - in trade talks for Favre. Here's what you should know from the story I wrote for tomorrow's paper:

"A published report Thursday night that said the Jets and Packers were in 'serious talks' for retired Packers quarterback Brett Favre exaggerated things somewhat, a person close to the situation said.

The story, which appeared on the Green Bay Press-Gazette Web site under the headline 'Jets' trade talks for Favre heat up,' said the Jets were showing 'a growing interest' in dealing for Favre and hinted that something was close to being done. But late Thursday night the source said that was not so.

In other words, the Jets were no closer Thursday night to dealing for Favre than they were last Friday when they were first mentioned as being one of his suitors.

Though the Jets have not closed the door on dealing for Favre, each passing day makes a deal less likely."

And toward the end of that story there's an item about Favre maybe taking the $20 million marketing job with the Packers and staying retired. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh. And you can quote me.

Of course, that is now. I could wake up to the sound of a phone at 8 a.m. Friday morning telling me Favre is a Jet, where we're at Thursday night he's not and still doesn't appear to be any time soon. And if the phone does wake me that early - I'm a sports writer, ok, so 8 a.m. is early - it better be telling me something that major. Otherwise, no calls, please.

So what can I say, we got sidetracked a bit here and hence, no afternoon practice report from Thursday. But as former Mets GM Frank Cashen used to say, "there's always another game tomorrow" and in this case, there's another practice tomorrow. But it's closed to the public. But not to me so I'll have a thorough - or what I consider thorough - review.

Don't forget, however, the Green and White Practice which is at 1 p.m. Saturday at Hofstra's Shuart Stadium. That is free and open to the public. The day of activities starts at 10 a.m. and though we're not always serious on this blog, allow me to be on this point:

The Jets and A-1 First Class-Viking Moving and Storage are hosting a food drive Saturday that will benefit The INN (Interfaith Nutrition Network). There should be a nice crowd Saturday and fans are asked to bring non-perishable food items to donate to a worthy cause that operates 19 soup kitchens and 25 shelters on Long Island.

And with that, lights out.

Email this

this situation is gettig out of hand for fans to read. One minute we think hes gonna be a jet, the next minute it says were not close, the next minute favre doesent wanna be a jet...

im ready to forget about favre and just trust chad, because i have a feeling chad is taking us to the playoffs.

a lot of this is an ESPN manufacturing this story..They do it alot which pisses me off. They should be reporting the news not making it up based on "someone close to the situation"..Thats garbage reporting

they are like the fox news of sports, tabloid journalism

all favre now earns this:sucks:

Archived