Jets Offense

drago

Can we get through a thread without saying the F word? Anyway, i am trying to think how the jets offense will function this year and i believe it will be a lot like in 2004.

Our QB will set up the run with basic slant routes and now due to a better arm some deeper routes until the running game gets established. The packers did wonders with this last year in getting Grant going. If you all watched the playoff game against the seahawks, you'll remember grant struggling at the start. It wasn't until the pass got established that grant started getting big gains.

This will not be a team that can just take the field and immediatly be taking 5 yards per carry to the endzone. I invision a lot of those slants to coles and cotch until the D is loosened up and at that point we can expect to average 130 to 140 yards per game on the ground.

Anyone feel differently? i.e. Keller and cotch being sent long with more regularity? because i don't see it. Maybe a few times a game but not a few times per quarter, this offense is about ball control. JMO.

Ryan Grant is over-rated and they'll regret giving him the money they gave him. This guy is a scrub who succeeded because of the passing game in Green Bay. Thomas Jones & Leon Washington are much better backs and will establish the ground game much better. That being said, yes there will be plenty of slants and ball control but there will be plenty of deep throws and improvisions by Favre as well. Can't wait to see this offense on the field for an extended period of time with Brett behind center.

Ryan Grant is over-rated and they'll regret giving him the money they gave him. This guy is a scrub who succeeded because of the passing game in Green Bay. Thomas Jones & Leon Washington are much better backs and will establish the ground game much better. That being said, yes there will be plenty of slants and ball control but there will be plenty of deep throws and improvisions by Favre as well. Can't wait to see this offense on the field for an extended period of time with Brett behind center.

His deep throws made the ESPN highlights but the only seemed to come in the end games, or when favre was pressing (dallas for instance). Favre really needs to buy into the system McCarthy sold him on and I assume mangini will try to sell him on.

Slants, slants, and more slants. Use the TE as your running game get leon on swing passes all that good stuff.

I really hope he doesn't come in here and assume these guys can't play or that the receivers aren't as good as Driver, Jennings and Jones. Because the Jets receivers are every bit as good, although I do think Driver is a smidge better than Coles.

The two teams, packers and Jets, are very similar in make up, i just hope brett learns the plays he needs early enough in the season.

Drago: Your hopes were dashed with the first response, not withstanding that, I agree with 124. We will be able to throw the deep pass on any down, this should keep defenses from putting an extra man in the box to defend the run or the short pass. This should open u[p the drunning game. Now the question is will the line gel to run block effectively.. Chemistry is still a question but I think Woody and Faneca will turn out to be good investments.

Drago: Your hopes were dashed with the first response, not withstanding that, I agree with 124. We will be able to throw the deep pass on any down, this should keep defenses from putting an extra man in the box to defend the run or the short pass. This should open u[p the drunning game. Now the question is will the line gel to run block effectively.. Chemistry is still a question but I think Woody and Faneca will turn out to be good investments.

Come on now, you aren't going to use the 8 men in the box as the only reason a team can and cannot run are you? That seems to imply that that extra safety makes the tackle the majority of the time.

The reason the packers set up the run so well with the slants was it kept the d-linemen from only looking for the running play. By having the serious threat of a deep pass, slant pass, run outside, run inside you keep the defensive linemen and maybe more importantly, the linebackers from waiting on one specific play.

8 in the box is all fine and dandy but keeping the defense on their heels is more important.

FWIW, favre didn't throw deep that terribly often. Doesn't mean he can't or that he couldn't do it more, just means he didn't do it too much last year.

His deep throws made the ESPN highlights but the only seemed to come in the end games, or when favre was pressing (dallas for instance). Favre really needs to buy into the system McCarthy sold him on and I assume mangini will try to sell him on.

Slants, slants, and more slants. Use the TE as your running game get leon on swing passes all that good stuff.

I really hope he doesn't come in here and assume these guys can't play or that the receivers aren't as good as Driver, Jennings and Jones. Because the Jets receivers are every bit as good, although I do think Driver is a smidge better than Coles.

The two teams, packers and Jets, are very similar in make up, i just hope brett learns the plays he needs early enough in the season.

Favre shouldnt think that... look at the stats of the 4 receivers.

Jennings- 13games- 53receptions- 920yards- 17.4avg- 12 td

Coles- 12 games- 55receptions- 646yards- 11.7avg- 6td

advantage- Jennings

Driver- 15games- 82reception- 1,048yards- 12.8avg- 2td

Cotchery- 15games- 82receptions- 1,130yards- 13.8avg- 2td

advantage- Cotchery

As you can see Jennings and Driver had a great QB, and they didnt do that much better than Coles and Cotchery who played with 2 sucky quarterbacks.

Favre should come in realizing that our receivers matchup to his old ones. and we also have a better running game.

I wasnt really feeling the Grant is overated sentiment when he was destroying the Seattle defense for 200+yds on the ground and 3 tds. He also went over 100yds 5 out of 8 starts. Having a QB that could keep safteys from cheating up to the line helped, but lets not pretend Grant isnt talented. Also the contract that he got was pretty team friendly, and loaded with playing time and performance incentives

What i liked about Grant is how brutally hard he hit the hole. Regardless of there being a hole or not, he ran at the line full speed and counted on a hole opening up. If you want a great example, look at the TD run he had against the Cowboys. It was 3rd or 4th and inches and he hit the hole, actually stumbled because he thought there would be contact and then was off for a 45 yard TD run.

I think Grant is talented if only because he runs as hard as anyone you'll ever see.

Can we get through a thread without saying the F word? Anyway, i am trying to think how the jets offense will function this year and i believe it will be a lot like in 2004.

Our QB will set up the run with basic slant routes and now due to a better arm some deeper routes until the running game gets established. The packers did wonders with this last year in getting Grant going. If you all watched the playoff game against the seahawks, you'll remember grant struggling at the start. It wasn't until the pass got established that grant started getting big gains.

This will not be a team that can just take the field and immediatly be taking 5 yards per carry to the endzone. I invision a lot of those slants to coles and cotch until the D is loosened up and at that point we can expect to average 130 to 140 yards per game on the ground.

Anyone feel differently? i.e. Keller and cotch being sent long with more regularity? because i don't see it. Maybe a few times a game but not a few times per quarter, this offense is about ball control. JMO.

I just don't believe that the Jets running attack is going to be some kind of juggernaut. Thomas Jones is not a battleship. It will be better. But even the other night I saw him doing the same unnecessary hesitating and dancing that he did all of last year. I think most offenses are pass oriented now. I can see Leon racking up yards on draws and screens. I expect Jones, if healthy, to get about 1250 to 1300 this year.

The 3rd preseason game is going to be very interesting.

I'm going to assume that Favre will play the 1st half if he's in shape and has a decent grasp of the playbook.

Going up against the Giants dline is no picnic; as Tom Brady will attest.

Archived