Arizona acquires Reds outfielder Dunn

faba

D-backs get Dunn from Reds for three prospects

ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 11, 2008, 2:46 PM ET

The Arizona Diamondbacks added a big bat Monday in their attempt to hold off the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West race.

Dunn

Arizona acquired Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn, who is tied for the major league lead with 32 home runs, for three prospects.

The trade was first reported by KTAR Radio in Phoenix.

In exchange for Dunn, Cincinnati will receive minor league pitcher Dallas Burk and two other players to be named later.

Buck got a call from D-backs farm director A.J. Hinch

I could be wrong about the waiver process, but...

I believe that Arizona placed a claim on him before he passed through. They're about the worst of the contenders other than the Dodgers (who should've blocked him just to keep him from going there) and no other non-contender needed him. Bad teams don't need him, and Arizona--even while leading their division--is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel as far as contenders go. The Dodgers made a huge mistake by not blocking him from going there, though.

Can someone please explain how the heck does Dunn pass through waivers without SOMEONE putting in a claim for him ?

It is called the gentleman's agreement. Do not block us and we will not block you .

Can someone please explain how the heck does Dunn pass through waivers without SOMEONE putting in a claim for him ?

I think it has to do with the leagues too. You have to pass through the waivers of the league you're in before being offered to the opposite leagues waivers.

Archived